GRRRRRRR!!! Nephew jumped the '90 legacy!!!! I'm gonna

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

bry
First Gear

GRRRRRRR!!! Nephew jumped the '90 legacy!!!! I'm gonna

Post by bry »

kill him!!! This is not even his car. It belongs to my older nephew and is his only transportation. I am going to kill that little bastard!!!

Fascia is ripped along the bottom, core support is tweaked under, steering linkage is bent, oil pan is smashed to hell, exhaust pipes are flattened, fender shoved into the driver's door, even the damn shifter arm was bent so it wouldn't go into park!!!

I bought and fixed this car up for Mark because they had totaled their mini-van and don't have a lot of money. That's right, it was a freebie on my dime. Mark has cerebral palsy and his wife just has a part-time job. The stunt-driving nephew, RC (age 16), is living with them as he didn't want to live with his mother and no, he doesn't have a job. Somebody is going to have to come up with some cash or they can all just hoof it!

I pulled the oil pan saturday and it was smashed up against the pickup. The pickup was stuffed full of the gunk that was on the bottom of the pan. Can't believe this thing didn't spin a bearing....

Anyway, other than needing to vent a bit, I also need a new pan, pickup seal and that weird seal in the right rear corner. Does this weird seal have something to do with the oil separator? Can I get these seals separately, or will I have to buy an engine gasket kit? Do all 2.2 pans interchange?
bry
First Gear

Re: GRRRRRRR!!! Nephew jumped the '90 legacy!!!! I'm gonna

Post by bry »

all those parts are still available individually. along with a couple header flange gaskets, cost was $134.58. that's surprisingly inexpensive considering OE stuff.... still not sure what the gasket in the corner does. the parts guy didn't know either.

i still plan to kill the kid, but just a little...
familydad
First Gear

Post by familydad »

make his parents pay for the parts, did he have permission to drive it? if not call the cops!
Hot damm that was fun!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1999 Legacy L postal, RHD
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Wow, I never would have done that as a kid to someone else's stuff. If I did, I'd pay for it whether someone told me to or not. Maybe it's because I've worked for everything I have since I was 13 and grew up with several prime examples of the kind of dirtbag person I didn't want to be like (and a grandfather who is the definition of strength and character on the opposite end). I can't imagine my nephews doing that when they get older as my sister has kept them in line, but I'd knock them the f out if they did and didn't take responsibility for it. I can understand the doing stupid things when you're young (he who hasn't, hasn't lived), but not the narcissistic and sociopathic lack of regard it takes to do such a thing and then seemingly shrug it off. At least it sounds like a cheap fix even if it probably looks like ass now. Hopefully, it will drive fine.

Retina scan technology needs to come down in price.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
SLODRIVE
Third Gear

Post by SLODRIVE »

Son of a gun, that really sucks. Although I have to admit I jumped our first Legacy within 48 hours of purchasing it. And I was 37 years old. :lol: :lol: (The jump was kind of an accident, but still...) I ended up mashing the pan and pickup, as well as bending both front struts. Luckily the repair bill was about $90....$20 for a used pan and pickup along with that little seal(new), $20 for oil/filter, and $50 for a used pair of GR2s. My wife commutes in that car these days!
http://www.slodriveracing.com
-92 SS 5MT- EJ20H swap, Haltech standalone ECU, TD04, FXT TMIC, 3" exhaust, STi/AGX struts, JDM 5-speed, 4.111 LSD rear, Blitz EBC, etc.
-'93 L Wagon - Pink Roll Cage - "Dirty Leg"
-And more!
bry
First Gear

Post by bry »

i put new gr2's on it before i gave the car to Mark. thank god! with the old factory struts, that thing really would have hit hard.....
bry
First Gear

Post by bry »

familydad wrote:make his parents pay for the parts, did he have permission to drive it? if not call the cops!
his dad is dead and his mom (my sis) is not really fit to have kids. RC was taken by DHS and given to the grandparents. after a year or so, he was sent back to his mom. but, he refused to go back because he knew she would get his social security check (dead dad). he asked mark if he could live with him and the courts gave Mark guardianship. the kid comes from a broken home, but still no excuse for wrecking the only car of the people who were nice enough to take him in. dumb kid doesn't realise he's a phone call away from foster parents...
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

Yeah that is a bummer. I would be pissed to.

Being young is no excuse for said behavior. I would have a serious discussion with him. Once you round up the parts, I would make him be involved with the repair so he can have a little idea of what is involved in fixing his mistake.

I might have an oil pan laying around. I'll do some digging after dinner.
→Dan

piddster34 at h0tma1l d0t c0m
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I've got a couple pans laying in my garage. Are you close?
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
bry
First Gear

Post by bry »

hey man, thanks... but i've already got a new pan and seals coming in.... i plan to take the car in for alignment (less sheetmetal) and see if it is worth messing with. if it is, the car is rusting in my backyard until they fork over enough money to rebuild it. it's 110 F in my shop and i'm pretty flippin pissed. subaru has a super strong core support, so the radiator is not damaged, just the bumper fascia attachment. it's going to need a driver's fender for sure as i tried to straighten it tonite but the rolled lip near the door is cracked in 3 places.... i'm really not sure this thing is going to align... we'll see.. subaruas are tough, even in ochelata, oklahoma... i'm in tulsa....
Last edited by bry on Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I would be too. Did he apologize?
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

Does it really need a fender to be drivable? As long as it's not in the way of anything, a hammered-out fender should be fine.
→Dan

piddster34 at h0tma1l d0t c0m
bry
First Gear

Post by bry »

apology at this point does not constitute a perfectly running subaru... this car would have gone 300 thousand miles... it was clean.... now it's just a beat up subie, probably got lots of life left, but still yet... grrrrrrr......

btw, i did hammer the freakin fender, it's broke in three places.... it will not clear the drivers door.. i'm going to put a bright red fender on that car (the car is taupe)... enjoy!!!!
familydad
First Gear

Post by familydad »

hate to say it but..... PIX
Hot damm that was fun!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1999 Legacy L postal, RHD