AC compressor question

Subaru-related topics that don't belong anywhere else...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

SubyFusion
Second Gear

Re: AC compressor question

Post by SubyFusion »

can you read what type of compressor you have???
1992 Legacy L (AWD )(5MT)[2.5RS Trans] EJ22T Swap in Progress
1-3-2-4
Second Gear

Post by 1-3-2-4 »

SubyFusion wrote:can you read what type of compressor you have???
I can read that i can't remember off hand I just know it's a DKS-15CH i'd have to check in the morning
1-3-2-4
Second Gear

Post by 1-3-2-4 »

The more I look it seems to be a bad expansion valve the system will not equalize with the engine off charging the high side as a liquid.
SubyFusion
Second Gear

Post by SubyFusion »

Did you check for a price? how much do those run???
1-3-2-4
Second Gear

Post by 1-3-2-4 »

SubyFusion wrote:Did you check for a price? how much do those run???
$17 total with shipping was $27 something I already ordered ahead of time and it will be here on Monday.
SubyFusion
Second Gear

Post by SubyFusion »

Awesome keep me updated :D
1-3-2-4
Second Gear

Post by 1-3-2-4 »

Since I will have to open it again might as well flush the whole system minus the txv, dryer and compressor
SubyFusion
Second Gear

Post by SubyFusion »

ya i would do the same and let it vacuum for a good 3 to 4 hours maybe even put some freon in the system and vacuum it out!
1-3-2-4
Second Gear

Post by 1-3-2-4 »

haha you mean try and suck the REFRIGERANT out?
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Just a few notes:

During the inital charging of a system after vacuum has been pulled on it, you can charge the system through both the high & low side port. You really should only charge the system with LIQUID through the high side port. However, if you do get liquid on the low side port you can usually turn the compressor by hand to make sure it hasn't locked the compressor.

....and yes, the pressures on the low & high side should be equal when charging from both sides. If they're not, like you've posted is likely do to an issue with the expansion valve.

Regarding pressures, low side should be in the 30-40 psi range. High side pressures are dependent on ambient temperature, but 250-300 psi or so is typically what I have seen on mine. 400+ psi is way too high IMO.

Other thing to note is when pulling a vacuum on the system, depending on the type of pump, you want to pull a deep vacuum (around 29.69 in-hg at see level) for about 45-60 min. When finished, seal the vacuum pump off, and let the system sit for about 15 min with the gauges on to ensure there's no leaks. Once you've confirmed there's no leaks, start charging the system, and fill with with as much as you can with the engine off. Once the system has taken as much as it can with the system off, start the car, and continue filling through the low side suction port only.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
1-3-2-4
Second Gear

Post by 1-3-2-4 »

Yep I will try to get started as soon as I get off work in the morning as we are going to have a storm later in the day.

I bet if I can hear the desiccant shaking in the dryer must mean it's hit the expansion valve, no?
1-3-2-4
Second Gear

Post by 1-3-2-4 »

time to flush and get started

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

1-3-2-4 wrote:I bet if I can hear the desiccant shaking in the dryer must mean it's hit the expansion valve, no?

No, that's not necessarily true. The dessicant may move around in the drier, but it should be contained in the drier and not come out.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
1-3-2-4
Second Gear

Post by 1-3-2-4 »

I flushed the lines.. the evaporator took most of the fluid.. when I flushed a gob of brownish oil came out.. after I blew it out at 120 psi of air until I saw no more droplets blow out. poured a little under 3 oz in the larger pipe.

Right now pulling a vacuum for 2 hours I hope.. They say it's going to storm at 3 Pm.
SubyFusion
Second Gear

Post by SubyFusion »

It’s funny that you say 400+ is way to high Josh, because it says right on my compressor - High - (430 P.S.I.G) and the Low - (215 P.S.I.G)

Are the 89 - 91 systems different?

I just did my conversion about 3 weeks ago and have not had any problems so far, I did extensive research before doing my conversion as I have never done this before. First I pulled a deep vacuum on the system and made sure it held. Second I changed the mineral oil out in the compressor with 8.3oz of ester oil, and then put on the R-134A high and low side fittings. I started the car turned the a/c on max and administered 32oz of Freon onto the low side port, I also watched the sight glass until the bubble went away and I couldn't see any more movement. The inside temperature got down to 45F, I was shocked that R-134A gets that low because my truck still has r-12 and its about the same it just seems to get cold a little quicker!. I talked to quite a few a/c guys and they told me that there are so many different ways to fill and measure the system, but the best way unless you have a machine is to use the sight glass as they say it never lies.

Josh I would like to know the steps you took to charge your system :D
1-3-2-4
Second Gear

Post by 1-3-2-4 »

well shit it's storming right now.. had to stop for a bit.. should clear up within an hour or so
SubyFusion
Second Gear

Post by SubyFusion »

1-3-2-4 wrote:haha you mean try and suck the REFRIGERANT out?

hahaha ya i know it seems funny but an a/c guy I talked to said that he fills and vacuums the system 3 or 4 times! I was like thats to much money in Freon :shock: It doesn't seem logical to me! I just pulled a deep vacuum on mine for about 1 hour and haven't had any problems. Although I wish I would have done it a little longer :roll:
1-3-2-4
Second Gear

Post by 1-3-2-4 »

question... I don't get it.. So everyone was so hellbent with me charging the low side despite it being off.. So I decided to charge the low side with the car running.. got up to 40 psi.. nothing... 90 psi still no compressor turning on.. high side showed just a little reading yet when I jump it and run it you can hear the expansion valve hissing a little and you see a little movement in the dryer but still not enough...

closing the can tap the pressure still stayed at whatever it charged up to

So lets sum that up!

1> I charged with the low side only with car running and 40 and 90 psi compressor still never turned on without me having to jump it
2> High side had little to no reading when charging the low side.
3> Still have no workable AC
1-3-2-4
Second Gear

Post by 1-3-2-4 »

Charged the low first and when that did not work turned off the car and charged high

All I want to know is why is it not sucking up in the system and I just see a little trickle in the dryer?
1-3-2-4
Second Gear

Post by 1-3-2-4 »

well shit I just checked I got the system equilzed at 100 low and 100 high.. as we know the low is still high and I have to keep jumping the pressure switch..

I'm curious about that sucking
1-3-2-4
Second Gear

Post by 1-3-2-4 »

Well I take it back.. I just disconnected everything to leave because it's storming out here and I get in the car and try the AC again and the compressor cuts in on it's own without needing to be jumped (I thought I left it in) and it was not.. however it's not really cooling still...

txv is hissing louder now.
SubyFusion
Second Gear

Post by SubyFusion »

how many ounces are the cans you are using?? how many have you put in?? have you looked at the sight glass with the a/c on and the car running? if so is it clear or can you see movement?
1-3-2-4
Second Gear

Post by 1-3-2-4 »

I see movement I put in about 1 can

should I leave the can tap open when I charge the low? the only thing is it shoots the low pressure up really light like near 100 PSI and closing the tap the pressure seems to stay at that area.
SubyFusion
Second Gear

Post by SubyFusion »

Thats just the pressure from the can, I put in a total of 3 cans and the compressor didn't kick on until about half of the second one, so you still have a ways to go, and if your adding the freon with the gauges it takes a long ass time. Also shake the can it makes it go faster and you get more of the additives from the can.
1-3-2-4
Second Gear

Post by 1-3-2-4 »

I might try again now I got a break in the clouds :D

The inside of my car got a wash too :D

So to get this right the low is going to show very high but the high should be increasing while charging from the low port, no?

My wrist is killing me.. it was a pain just to lift my hood :-(