High temps/possible overheating after water pump

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

suba
First Gear

High temps/possible overheating after water pump

Post by suba »

Car: 90 Legacy L, 5spd, 4wd, no A/C no ABS

Quick background:

Water pump indicated imminent failure, changed it out along with thermostat, tensioner pulley and idler pulley (cogged one). All parts came from the dealer, went easily, filled with coolant, started right up and ran fine, no leaks.

I did the pump because I had to go to a wedding and on an 800 mile trip this weekend didn't have a chance to take it for a long drive before hand but everything seemed fine.

Flash forward to today, driving toward Seattle I noticed that on hills the temps seemed to move just a touch above horizontal on the gauge. Cruising along the temps were normal, just below horizontal. Outside temperature was about 85 degrees.

Then we had to stop in traffic for a while and the temps climbed in to the red, couldn't stop so had to drive for a while like that with the temp moving in and out of the red zone. Engine ran fine, didn't seem too hot, fan came on normally, gauge just showed constant hot temps. Now the engine runs fine, idles and the temp shows normal, though I did notice a squeaking sound when I first start off (could be completely unrelated).

Any thoughts? Air pockets screwing with the gauge? I'm in a bit of a bind sitting here in Olympia with no tools or manuals. Any ideas would be great.
90 Legacy L AWD 5mt
Formerly of the USMB but moved from an RX to a Legacy
macipusy
Third Gear

Re: High temps/possible overheating after water pump

Post by macipusy »

Has the car ever overheated before you did the waterpump? Headgaskets have a tendency to fail if you overheat the motor.

Air in the coolant system could cause random overheating as well.
maciek puszynski

01 Impreza | v6 STi RA | 5mt | ej236t
93 Legacy Turbo | TW | 4eat | ej22t
16 WRX | 6mt | fa20
98 Legacy GT | wagon | 5mt | ej25d

2.36L Turbo - RSTi Build
suba
First Gear

Post by suba »

I've never had a problem before, temps always stayed solidly just below horizontal on the gauge. I've ruled out the thermostat since on the highway the temps are normal, fan comes on so that seems to be a non issue. My only thought at this point is if I didn't get all the air out that air could be collecting in the system at low rpm and either slowing coolant flow or messing with the sensor reading. Has anyone else had a problem with air bubbles in the system?
90 Legacy L AWD 5mt
IronMonkeyL255
Fourth Gear

Post by IronMonkeyL255 »

I would guess air pockets, myself.
Disclaimer: If anything I post is inaccurate, please correct me. I do not wish to add to the misinformation floating around on the internet.

That being said, everything I post is accurate to the best of my knowledge.

Rio Red '91 Legacy SS
suba
First Gear

Post by suba »

That seems most likely at this point. I thought I had burped the system completely but evidently not, hopefully my head gaskets survived. I was able to pick up some coolant this morning, it was a bit low when I went and checked it so we'll try it again I suppose. When you burp the system do you typically do it running or off? I know with my 4runner it usually works best to park on an incline with the rad cap off and run the engine until it is up to temp.
90 Legacy L AWD 5mt
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Did you remove the bleeder screw on the top passenger side of the radiator? If not, that has to be removed during filling to ensure all the air is removed.

Fill with coolant with engine off, then start and fill as necessary. Make sure the expansion tank has coolant in it, so the system can pull it in if needed.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
AWD_addict
Fifth Gear

Post by AWD_addict »

Maybe you need more water and less antifreeze in the system.
90 L+ wgn
suba
First Gear

Post by suba »

It's a 50/50 mix so coolant shouldn't be an issue. Less trouble yesterday on the drive down to hoodriver. On the highway or really moving at all the temps are normal, when stopped for any long periods of time the temps start to come up a bit. At this point I suspect an air bubble in/around the thermostat that is forming and keeping the thermostat from opening when at low rpm. I did find a nice steep hill to park the car on last night in hood river so we'll see if that got any more air out of the system.
90 Legacy L AWD 5mt
suba
First Gear

Post by suba »

Burping it again on an incline didn't help, but I'm back home now so tomorrow its going in to the dealer to let them get the damn bubbles out. Oh well, doesn't seem like any engine damage occurred so now it's just an annoyance.
90 Legacy L AWD 5mt
suba
First Gear

Post by suba »

Problem solved, sort of. There are combustion gases in the coolant, looks like I have a bit of a head gasket leak. The leak is putting bubbles into the system and over time causing the temps to climb. I hadn't noticed up till now because around town there wasn't enough being put in to the system to build up and cause a problem, but after driving for long periods it is enough to notice.
90 Legacy L AWD 5mt
tturnpaw
First Gear

Post by tturnpaw »

And yet everybody on usmb says that the 2.2 gaskets are indestructible and should never have to be changed.
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

This failure mode seems to be the most common one. Certainly they're better than 2.5's but they do go bad.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.