So I opened my own shop...

This is for non-Subaru related topics. Keep it realistic please.

Moderator: Moderators

SLODRIVE
Third Gear

So I opened my own shop...

Post by SLODRIVE »

Things have kinda gotten away from me in the last few weeks, here's what happened...

It all started last month, when I decided to cage my buddy's Legacy and see if it got any interest towards someday building a cage or two for someone else. -->Link

While building it, I went to a local 4x4 shop to borrow some tubing, and found out that his fabricator had quit. Not only that, but there happens to be a real shortage of roll-cage builders around here. Before I was even done with the Legacy, I got a call from another local garage who wanted to race in the "24 Hours of Lemons" with an '89 Cherokee...and needed a cage!
NASCAR-style seat mount as well...
Ready to race!

Now at this point, I had been building everything in my 2-car garage...the kind with a pole in the middle and a 6'9" ceiling. Having the Jeep as well as the Subaru getting cages was just too much for my little garage, so as soon as I delivered the Jeep I found a nice 20' x 50' space right outside of town. I also had some business cards printed at this point.
All the tools and equipment I had been collecting in my garage for 15 years fit in with loads of room to spare! The 18 foot ceiling is kinda nice too.

I spent a few days moving crap and setting up...then another customer arrived, a 1978 Z-28 that the owner wanted to have an 8-point roll bar installed.
Nice sticker on that spoiler! :P

The next week...a 1969 Bronco. The owner wanted a cage built over the rear seat, and some better harness mounting bars.
Before
After (the owner was stoked!)

Last week, I got a website started, a Facebook page (lol), and put up a little sign in the shop. :-)

I also made some convertible-top hardware for the old Jeepster Commandos...but I have no pics. This week I've been visiting the local shops and handing out cards, I think it'll pay off. (I hope)

I do have more work lined up for August, and the rent's paid. There may even be more Subaru cages in the future, let's hope so...
http://www.slodriveracing.com
-92 SS 5MT- EJ20H swap, Haltech standalone ECU, TD04, FXT TMIC, 3" exhaust, STi/AGX struts, JDM 5-speed, 4.111 LSD rear, Blitz EBC, etc.
-'93 L Wagon - Pink Roll Cage - "Dirty Leg"
-And more!
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Re: So I opened my own shop...

Post by beatersubi »

Thats awesome! :smt023
This is so inspirational to me. I've been doing side work for some time now have been toying w/ the idea of making it full time.
All the best of luck to you, my friend. (not that you'll need it based on the quality of work you've shown to be capable of)
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
Originalcyn wrote:Apparently everyone hates Gabe.
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Good for you! I admire people for just going for it. Some people think it's too risky, but they have no balls. I doubt anyone on their deathbed ever wishes they had taken less chances. A friend quit a well paying job to start a company building high-end gaming equipment of his (and his partner's) design (Mars-Made.com). He's not rolling in money (not yet, at least), but even if it bombs, he said he wouldn't regret it at all. And he'd get to keep some of the equipment.

If you get into chassis building, I'll see about having you build the chassis for my Tigershark project, though the distance may be a large hurdle.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
07Evolved
Second Gear

Post by 07Evolved »

That is great man! I envy you!

I hope it really goes well for you. I would love to open my own business one day and it's great you found something you love doing and making it your own and taking it to the next step. A lot of people out there are too scared to ever do that. Best of luck!
Brad

1991 Subaru Legacy L AWD Wagon 5MT (DD)
2000 Outback 5MT (DD)
2005 AW STi
2010 LGT (hers)
1998 Outback (her DD)

Build Thread
Redlined
Fourth Gear

Post by Redlined »

Congratulations and best wishes! I am truly envious!

Love to be able to start my own business.
Dave

Post by cj91legss »

wow man, that's really cool.
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
SiCkSTi04
Second Gear

Post by SiCkSTi04 »

Congrats! What did you do before opening up your own shop?
-04 WRX STi - Java Black Pearl - Cobb Stage 2
-02 Forester Type S premium - Platinum Silver Metallic - Stock
-92 Legacy Sport Sedan - Onyx Black Pearl - Stock
gijonas
Fourth Gear

Post by gijonas »

Do it up man, i never regret having quit my job to open a shop,i doubt you will either.
94SS.Wiseco forged pistons,TD04,TMIC,WALBRO 225,440's,3" all the way,revtronix stage 2,enough other crap to fill the internet.

THE TRIBUTE BUILD>>>LINKY LINK>>> http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?p=295455#295455
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

How'd that Cherokee do in LeMons?
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
Originalcyn wrote:Apparently everyone hates Gabe.
SLODRIVE
Third Gear

Post by SLODRIVE »

You guys are awesome! Thanks for the support!
SiCkSTi04 wrote:Congrats! What did you do before opening up your own shop?
I've spent almost my whole adult life working in parts stores and garages...in fact, my last "real" job was at a local dyno shop. I also built my own circle-track car about 8 years ago, and I've always played around with hot rods in my home garage.

beatersubi wrote:How'd that Cherokee do in LeMons?
I guess not all that well. I showed up on day 2, and apparently the transmission let go on the first day. I hope they're doing something fun with it- it's converted to 2wd, so it's really light (maybe 2800 lbs.). It would be a BLAST at the off-road park!
-92 SS 5MT- EJ20H swap, Haltech standalone ECU, TD04, FXT TMIC, 3" exhaust, STi/AGX struts, JDM 5-speed, 4.111 LSD rear, Blitz EBC, etc.
-And more!
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Congrats man!!
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
klin7757
First Gear

Post by klin7757 »

That is too cool man! I've been holding off on my exhaust because I need a custom mid-pipe made, perhaps It's about time and I could come pay a visit...
94TW red.
SLODRIVE
Third Gear

Post by SLODRIVE »

klin7757 wrote:That is too cool man! I've been holding off on my exhaust because I need a custom mid-pipe made, perhaps It's about time and I could come pay a visit...
I think this would be a good time to state that any site members will get an especially good deal from me! :smt041
-And more!
HappyFrog
First Gear

Post by HappyFrog »

Congrats and best wishes :smt023
Subaru Legacy Turbo 1992 - it's alive (but not done). VEMS ecu, 6mt, Wiseco/Eagle internals, Hybrid GT FMIC, 550cc, TD05 Big 16g @ 22psi, dynoed 294/293.
Now being parted out
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Awesome, man, congrats on living the dream!
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
206er
Fifth Gear

Post by 206er »

nice going! try and be as diverse as you can to stay busy and get your name out there in different circles.

before i moved away from CO I interviewed for a job at hanksville hot rods down in the denver area that builds high end exhaust and cages(unfortunately they took someone more experienced). I'm a fabricator now but working on much more mundane things such as stairs and railings. Anyway if you ever need any custom mandrel bending up to 3" hit them up, they have a huge megabuck mandrel bender and can get you whatever you need compound bends etc.
http://www.hanksvillehotrods.com/Produc ... fault.aspx
1994 Touring Wagon: ruby mica, 5mt swapped