EJ20T Swap

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

STi_GUY
First Gear

EJ20T Swap

Post by STi_GUY »

Can anybody tell me how difficult it would be to swap my na EJ22 with a new age WRX EJ20T? I plan to do so over the summer... finances pemitting. What do I need asuming that the engine, wiring harness, ecu, flywheel and clutch is provided? Any tips, tricks, etc? When I pull this off Im gonna have one bad subie! Any guess how much this might cost? Engines on Ebay are roughly 2500 usd.
Cody
1994 Legacy Ti Wagon (Estate)
2.4L of N/A fury :)
Awesome vendor: http://home.att.net/~teaguesauto/index.htm
morgie
Third Gear

Post by morgie »

a guy down here did that swap, and that's a lot of pain !

the engine bolts quite "OK" to the car, but it's almost the only thing that fit ! hehe

they started the swap this christmast and i'm not sure if they are done yet..
morgie
'98 4Runner V6 Manual 4x4.
Mark Ward
First Gear

Post by Mark Ward »

One big factor is that you will also need the transmission and (I believe) the rear diff. The new age WRX is a 6 bolt transmission, the previous were all 4 bolt. It would probaly be worth it to just get a slightly older EJ20T out of New Zealand or Australia. For the price, you can get a whole front clip for the price of the new WRX motor.
Mark
STi_GUY
First Gear

Post by STi_GUY »

Does anybody know a dealer? How do I get a hold of one of these jdm's? Correct me if im wrong, but doesnt the first gen EJ20T's have air/water intercoolers? And would it be possible to switch to a front mount air/air IC? Either way, I want one real bad. I have to wait for the funds to come in june though. I'm trying to locate everything now so I know right where to go. Will the newer WRX aftermarket goodies bolt right on to the older EJ20T? That's the big question. Specifically headers and the like.
Cody
mile hi
First Gear

Post by mile hi »

I am also sure that you would need the transmission and rear diff and axles and probably the front axles also, they are different as far as I know. Possibly the gas tank or at least the pump and senders. The dash is also a very different item than most I have ever seen but it might be made to work.
AL(CO)
mile hi
First Gear

Post by mile hi »

You might want to consider a EJ22t we have one that is about to go out the door as a bored and stroked 500hp motor :)
AL(CO)
STi_GUY
First Gear

Post by STi_GUY »

It is tempting.... hmmm..... I dont think I want THAT much hp. My car is gonna be a daily driver so I want no more than 300hp at the wheels. The reason I wanted the "Bulletproof" EJ20T is because there is so much out there for it. I wouldnt have to customize most mods like I have on my n/a EJ22. Its been a real pain trying to find stuff compatable with it. It seems like all the aftermarket is for the EJ20T and the EJ25. But I dont suppose ya got a EJ22T with a lil less than 500 do ya?
Cody
mile hi
First Gear

Post by mile hi »

Sure the parts situation is better for the EJ22t and with less hp like 350-400 you could get that without stroking it and that is one of the more expensive items. The person that builds these is named Joel and is at Performance Development and Manufacturing in Denver and the phone # is 303-287-8889 the website is pdmturbos.com but the internet is having problems today and I can't get to it.
AL(CO)
STi_GUY
First Gear

Post by STi_GUY »

This may be a great solution. Thanks a bunch. I'll call him on monday. If anybody has input on which I should get and for what reason... please chime in. By the by, how much scratch are we talkin about for say... 250 hp?
Cody
mile hi
First Gear

Post by mile hi »

I would have to leave it up to him there are several ways of getting it and he has been bolting turbo's and building turbo kits for 25 years and pretty well knows these engines inside and out. I just do the electronics that go along with most of them.
AL(CO)
Mark Ward
First Gear

Post by Mark Ward »

If you want an engine, let me know. I will email you the contact. I have been working pretty hard to find out evrything anyone in N/A needs to know to do the swap. Tonight I just completed the ECU pin-out wiring diagram for the EJ20G - BC-BF chassis.

http://www.rrunracing.com/Pics/EJ20G_ECU.pdf

There is also companies like possum bourne (NZ Subaru dealer and racers)who will send you any stock subaru part you need for the motor, like gaskets. Also, just about all the other parts are available here in north america. There are auto-wreckers in New Zealand who will ship out any used parts you might want as well. Pretty good price considering the value of the NZ dollar.
Mark
www.rrunracing.com
RaZor
In Neutral

Post by RaZor »

The guy who did the MY02 WRX swap is a friend of mine. It is realy not as easy as you guys could think!!

Here are the major points to consider :

What you need to get from the MY02 is :

Engine, transmission, rear diff, rear cardan joints, driving shaft, gas pump, ECU and ALL the electronic comming with it.

The driving shaft from the WRX is 2 inches too short. You need to get a spacer.
You need to re-route the power steering hoses.
The A/C has to go to fit the intercooler.

Those who tought the 2002 WRX intercooler was too deep to fit in between the trottle body and the firewall were right!! BUT....the intake system of the 2.0L is 4 to 6 inches more to the front of the car then on the 2.2. So there is enough room to fit the intercooler.

Axles and gas tank are ok.

Engine and transmission will sit right on the Legacy's supports.

The dash is a HUGE issue!!! the Legacy has a mecanical speedo. The WRX has an electronic one!! The good thing is that a whole WRX dash will sit right in place in the Legacy. The only problem is the dash is a bit to wide and the doors won't close!!! But it's not a big deal. He cut the door's cosmetic to let the dash fit in. You can notice it only when the doors are opened.

So it's not an easy swap!!
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

I dont think we should close the issue of the new ej20 bolting to older transmissions.

I know of a couple ej20 swaps into impreza/legacy between 96+ and they didnt swap transmissions.

Since Im already running a 95 impreza transmission in my Legacy I know it didnt change for that year.

Id be more willing to beleive that the amount of fasteners increased but that the old holes still align properly, you just leave some bolts out.

Why would transmissions change in the middle of production model, from 95 to say 97?!

Now with the problem of tranmission and including driveshafts axles speedos the only problem left on your list is intercooler.

Seems to me the perfect fix would be an early WRX intercooler with one of the fiberglass hoods from the group buy.
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

The Turbo FAQ at rs.com ( http://www.rs25.com/_Turbo_Kit/Turbo_FAQ.cfm ) says that all transmissions for EJxx engines bolt up to all EJxx engines; some use 6 bolts and others use 4 bolts, but you can always use at least 4 bolts.
teesaa
In Neutral

Post by teesaa »

For success you need a whole front cut with loom, engine, tranny, ECU & million other parts. Even then all wiring doesn't match dashboard.

Good luck.
Legacy 200 STW MY92
Mark Ward
First Gear

Post by Mark Ward »

Agreed, front clip is the easist route. I am in the process of ordering a front clip right now. I am pricing it all out.

One quote I have so far is a UK spec BC5 entire front clip, tranny included for $2800CDN. He has 2 available, here on the West Coast. Both have approx 96000 KM.

I dont know if I will go the front clip route yet, cuz I dont need the transmission and a bunch of the other parts. I am just replacing the short block.

Mark
www.rrunracing.com
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

A front clip is great but make sure you are getting the right car. If you live in a place that is strict when it comes to emmisions these cheap clips are never going to work.

That said I have NEVER seen a usdm wrx front clip for sale, Rather I have seen the whole "kit" you would need to do the swap. You could get everything you need minus transmission for close to 3000 with very low miles. Front clips could have 60k miles on them already.

You tell me which is the better deal! Personally Id rather have a brand new US engine with 10-20k miles.

vrg3: Thats what I thought.
czo79
Second Gear

Post by czo79 »

Wow...I would bet it would be a real pain to put an entire wrx dashboard into a legacy. Thats what yer talkin right? Not just the instrument cluster...
Might as well make it a nice sti setup with the red backlight gauges...they are sweet. Do you have to kinda custom mount the dash in the car? I can't imagine it fits up to all the stock screw/mount holes and such, I would think you have to spend a lot of time getting it strapped down tight in there so it doesn't rattle all around.
Good luck with the swap.
Micum
Micum
91 Legacy Turbo Sport - 94 JDM EJ20G
97 Legacy 2.5 GT - mod'd
93 Impreza L AWD (sold)
97 Legacy 2.5 GT (deceased)
98 Legacy Outback (sold)
STi_GUY
First Gear

Post by STi_GUY »

Dude, Rod bearing went out and now I gotta do something. EJ20T US is out of the question right now. Me and a buddy are doin the rebuild ourselves with a price cap of 1700 USD. Im tryin to find a junker EJ25 for the entire crank and heads. Then sadly, I'll probably be letting my baby go for a more... umm... recent.. "Superbaru". (Note that is Superb, not super). I am looking for an RS-T.
Cody
mTk
no title

Post by mTk »

I've got a phase 1 2.5L crank/rods/pistons for sale, if you're at all interested. shoot me a PM.

MK
1992 BC672 AWD 5MT
STi_GUY
First Gear

Post by STi_GUY »

PMed ya! That is some awesome news.
Cody