FS: 93 Legacy Sport Sedan plus extras - Cheap!

Got something for sale? Need to sell a part? Got some stuff on auction that you want to let us know about?

(Legacy Central BBS is not responsible for any arbitration between its users relative to this forum.
Play nice and deal straight)

Moderators: Helpinators2, Moderators

Forum rules
Please see the NEW Parts Shed Rules before posting: http://www.bbs.legacycentral.org/viewto ... 15&t=55814

Sales of parts and parting cars only. Complete or parted car posts should be made in Car Lot: http://www.bbs.legacycentral.org/viewforum.php?f=32
vrg3
Vikash

FS: 93 Legacy Sport Sedan plus extras - Cheap!

Post by vrg3 »

SOLD!

So it's time for the new, naturally aspirated era of my life to begin. I bought a 99 Impreza L (you can see it in the background in the picture below), and it's time to sell the Legacy Turbo.

Critical details:

1993 Subaru Legacy Turbo
Sedan
5-speed manual transmission
168,000 miles
Winestone

More info:

The car runs and drives but doesn't have a current registration, emissions inspection, or safety inspection. Clear title. The EJ22T pulls strong (the atmospheric BOV sometimes makes for a little stumbling at part throttle though) and the transmission shifts well. I'm running Mobil 1 motor oil and Redline Lightweight ShockProof gear oil.

The stereo system has been removed although a WRX head unit with 6-CD changer is included. The air conditioning does not work but a lot of A/C repair stuff is included.

There is rust in the usual places for a car of this age in the Cleveland area. There's also a dent in the driver's door and some various damage to the nose. The sunroof doesn't leak at all.

Modifications:
  • TD05-16G turbo
  • 3" catless downpipe
  • 07 WRX intercooler
  • WRX blowoff valve modified to run atmospheric
  • STi flywheel
  • WRX oil cooler
  • Twin-turbo Supra fuel pump
  • Diamond coil pack
  • 3 Magnecor plug wires (one was damaged). Set of brand new NGK wires included too though (see below)
  • Coolant fill bottle delete
  • Custom intake resonator delete
  • JDM bugeye STi struts and springs
  • Group N strut tops
  • Single Stage Brake Booster
  • Goodridge stainless steel brake lines
  • Driver side European headlight
  • Draw-Tite Class II 1-1/4" trailer hitch
  • Trailer lighting adapter
I'm including a bunch of stuff with it:
  • Rebuildable Legacy Turbo transmission (something blew but I never took it apart to try and fix it)
  • A full unopened case of Mobil 1 motor oil
  • Four 02 WRX wheels, painted black. Three with intact Kumho Ecsta Supra 205/45R16 tires on them, one bare. Fourth damaged tire also included.
  • 02 WRX front calipers and brackets (driver's side bracket needs overhaul)
  • Spare single stage brake booster
  • Newly remanufactured A/C compressor
  • Unopened bottle of A/C oil
  • New A/C receiver/drier
  • Autometer boost gauge
  • Autometer air/fuel ratio gauge
  • A/F ratio and injector duty cycle monitor
  • New set of NGK spark plug wires
  • IHI VF40 turbo
  • JDM air/water intercooler
  • Ford Focus ATF cooler (can use as AWIC radiator, fits behind grill)
  • Self-priming utility pumps for AWIC (one new and one lightly used)
  • Whale GP9955 compact inline pump, also can be used for AWIC
  • Vortech FMU rising rate fuel pressure regulator with adjustable bleed valve
  • Bosch blowoff valve
  • New Catco 3" catalytic converter
  • New Magnaflow 3" dual-tip muffler
  • 3" mandrel U-bend for building custom exhaust
  • Magellan RoadMate 300 GPS
  • 2002 WRX stereo with 6-CD changer
  • New remote starter
  • Hitch mount 3-bike bicycle carrier
  • Pair of 92 sedan taillights (the ones with clear turn signals)
  • Various spare turn signals including at least one JDM corner light
  • Spare stock horn
  • New front passenger side wheel well apron
The car is located in Cleveland, OH. If you're interested but not nearby we might be able to work out some kind of delivery or meet-halfway thing.

Pictures are online here.

I'm asking $600 for the car with all these parts.
Last edited by vrg3 on Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
n2x4
Fourth Gear

Re: FS: 93 Legacy Sport Sedan plus extras - Cheap!

Post by n2x4 »

I'll take it.

Just sent you a PM Vikash.
SUBARUEHS Racing
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Awesome. Sale pending!
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
skid542
Fifth Gear

Post by skid542 »

I apologize for clutting your thread Vikash but it sounds like Nate's all over it anyhow.

I was totally stoked to see you post in the electrical forum but then it just broke my heart to see you selling your Legacy. This car has been a classic piece of history on the BBS. Your car and your work was truly an inspiration for me. The ingenuity and understanding of our systems and the open sharing of that with us is invaluable. I can't tell you how many times I've been complimented on the digital scan tool you made - it's still running strong :) (I'm going to conformal coat the board I think for longevity but otherwise it still works great).

I hope life's treating you well and you'll stop in from time to time to grace us with your knowledge. Hopefully giving away this car like you are is indicative of you doing well and not the other way.
Lee

93' SS, 5mt swapped, 182k, not stock...
96' N/A OBW 5sp, 212k, Couple mods... RIP
99' N/A OBW, 4eat, mostly stock.
biggreen96
Third Gear

Post by biggreen96 »

Fastest sale of a SS ever. Under an hour. Holy Shit.

Like Lee says, don't be a stranger V.
You have to drive and you and have to try if you want the win, you don't achieve anything if you just cruise around - Jari-Matti Latvala
Long live the forums! Down with FB!
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Damn, I would have bought that car in a heartbeat. That's the best deal on a legacy I've EVER seen.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
Subaru_Nation555
Third Gear

Post by Subaru_Nation555 »

vrg3, hope life is treating you well. Good luck with the Impreza!
'06 Impreza 2.5i wagon
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Thanks for the kind words, guys. It's with a heavy heart that I'm moving on to the Impreza. This Legacy has meant a lot to me, thanks in no small part to the fact that it brought me into this community.

I just don't have time in my life these days for hot rodding and modifying cars, and I'm ready to burn less fuel. And somehow I managed to find an 11-year-old Subaru in Cleveland that was rust-free!

I priced this car to sell quickly, but even then I was surprised; I currently have two people offering me money way above my asking price on RS25.com, despite the fact that it's already promised to Nate. I'm really glad Nate got it first, though, honestly.

Life is treating me well; it's just very full, and that's why I haven't been active on the BBS. I'll still come and post when I can; I love Legacy Central! And we'll see; even though I'm trying to keep the Impreza mostly stock and simple, who knows how long I'll be able to resist?

Thanks everyone!
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Good to hear from you, sad about the car. Damn, I'd have bought it if it were closer and I was quicker.

Maybe some mods in the interest of efficiency this time? I've got a bicycle brake cable to operate a grille block for higher speeds and I'm going to duct the radiator air out through the top of the hood and cover the undercarriage.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
07Evolved
Second Gear

Post by 07Evolved »

wow what a deal!
Brad

1991 Subaru Legacy L AWD Wagon 5MT (DD)
2000 Outback 5MT (DD)
2005 AW STi
2010 LGT (hers)
1998 Outback (her DD)

Build Thread
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Yeah, an hour ago I watched Nate and his buddy drive off with it. Hope you enjoy it, dude!

Hmm, yes, efficiency mods would be cool... Hmm, have you posted pics of your grille block setup?
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

It's not built yet. I'm restoring the car VERY slowly so I'll be dead before it has to be done again (or maybe before it's even finished at this rate, though I finally have the front end back on) and it's nowhere near that point—I just ran the cable along the hood release cable from under the dash when I redid the wiring for the fog lights and side markers with 14 ga. and wrapped it OEM style. The pull on the cable is very smooth. The plan is to have my hollowed out grille and use a clear piece of polycarbonate on a center horizontal hinge closed off by pulling on the cable, with a little return spring to let it open up. The idea is to close off the engine compartment (as well as the panelling the whole undercarriage as practicality allows) to reduce drag and duct the air from the lower radiator intake through the radiator, and out into the low pressure zone just past the front of the hood, improving cooling efficiency as well as reducing drag (though the shrouding is going to have a tight fit. I'm not sure if the grille block even needs to be adjustable at all, but I figure it won't hurt to have the extra opening in summer traffic. Wish I could find a fiberglass hood to cut up for the radiator exhaust.

I'm also going to have a rear spoiler angled slightly down and that's probably about the extent I'll go to. I'd cover the wheel wells, but I'd have to get 100mpg for how bad that would probably look. Besides, that's what I'm building a car from scratch for anyway.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

Vikash, it's funny how we grow up, isn't it?

Now that I'm out of school and have a real job, all I want is my own home and a N/A daily driver that isn't falling apart. lol
→Dan

piddster34 at h0tma1l d0t c0m
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Dammit, I guess I've always been grown up, then. Figures.
n2x4
Fourth Gear

Post by n2x4 »

Thanks again Vikash, now to sort through all the spare parts!
SUBARUEHS Racing
HandleWitCare
First Gear

Post by HandleWitCare »

Nice pull bro.. to bad i was at work on OVER TIME.... lol.. I picked my slightly moded 91 SS 5mt (First Subie Ever.. Had a 00 Ford Focus Se 5mt.. Huge upgrade :-D ) for 250 im now in the middle of haveing what you just sold... lol. With out all the spare parts.. :( OH well Cant complain. Well Luck person who picked this up.. Want to sell any spare parts?
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

I should have asked this before, but what's up with the N/A grill? Vikash, are you hoarding parts? ;-)
→Dan

piddster34 at h0tma1l d0t c0m
fatgc8
First Gear

Post by fatgc8 »

Lol yeah i was one of the guys on rs25 trying to buy the thing for more!
2005 STi (500WHP with "SlowSTi" as the license plate lol (Weekend Warrior)
1991 Legacy ss JDM EJ20G swap with STi goodies (DD)
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Nate - I'm sure you'll do awesome things with all the stuff!

Steve - Well, that's a way cool idea, I think. There's a pulley doohickey sold for use on bikes with mismatched brake calipers and brake levers called the Travel Agent that might also come in handy to reduce the distance you'd need to pull the cable. Maybe in the end it could be attached to a door lock solenoid and triggered by the VSS and coolant temperature signals.

Those wheel well cover flaps that people rig up seem pretty cool. I like the ones that sit on hinges and have little roller wheels to act as bearings between the flap and the tire.

Dan - Yeah, I guess you could call this growing up... In my mind it's not really that, though. I feel like when I got this car, it was pretty much my only hobby. When I wasn't busy with school I was wrenching on the car. But now I've shifted my hobbies some. One of the big things was when both my parents had heart attacks within a couple of years of each other. I decided to start taking care of my body and exercising regularly for the first time. Fast forward a couple of years and now I bike, swim, dance, do the occasional triathlon... I've lost about 50 pounds and have visible musculature for the first time ever. Doing all this just doesn't leave me with as much free time.

I still have no desire to own a home, though. I like renting and living with roommates.

That grille is actually the grille the car had when I got it. I did move some of the parts to my new Impreza before listing the Legacy up for sale, but as is obvious I included almost every Legacy-specific or even Legacy-applicable part I had with the car.
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Now's the time to buy a house if you can, but really, home ownership is a PITA. It's got its plusses, but, like kids, they're overrated IMO. My money would have been better spent on trips

The original idea for the grille block was to trigger the thing off the relay that kicks on the fans, but the cable is simpler and cheaper, at least until I know it actually makes a difference and what speeds/situations best suited having it open. I'd love to have a drop down airdam that comes on using the VSS, but I think the covered undercarriage will be a better solution as far as efficiency goes, and I'm not worried about stability over 120 anymore. If I was going to do the front wheel covers, I'd blend them into the body work by exaggerating the box fenders. They would increase frontal area, but reduce drag. I'd need a tunnel or at least CFD software to know if it would be a wash or not. On the Tigershark project, the wheels are separate from the body and will be completely covered similar to the front wheels of the Aptera, though maybe a little more stylized. Unfortunately, the vehicle is going to have 4 wheels as state regulations for enclosed 3 wheelers are just too variable and confused, which means a drag and weight increase (and I think an aesthetic decrease), but at least it will be rwd.

If I had a sedan, I'd build a boattail rear off it, but doing that to the wagon would make it obscenely long and ruin much of the utility unless I wanted to spend way too much time and money on integrating it in place of the stock tailgate. I thought of doing an Impreza with an extended tail and half-cockpit with a sliding canopy for aerodynamics and strength (steel bars in place of door openings, plus one down the longitudinal center at dashtop height), making it a tandem 2 seater, but I did some drawings and hated the looks of it too much. The Miata looked good with the same treatment (something like a 50s salt flat sports car or endurance racer with a closed canopy), but reducing it to a single seater makes it too impractical for me.

Good to hear you're working out. I actually gained a few pounds recently (getting old) and need to reverse that. I love biking, but this heat and humidity is killing me so I haven't been exercising much at all. And I thought joining a CSA farm would take care of the lack of exercise!
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Well, I almost agree about this being the time to buy a house. Now is the time to buy a house if you *want* to buy a house. You're right that home ownership is overrated. It's just hammered into us by society that owning your own home is living the American dream and that's what every good American should strive for. That's just not true -- this is a gross oversimplification, but the housing market crash is an example of what happens when people who shouldn't own houses are sold houses.

Yeah, it's a lot like having kids. Every society teaches that to be a successful and productive human being, you have to have kids. Of course, that made some sense back in the tribal days when these traditions were founded -- your tribe needed more kids so you'd have more workers and fighters. But now we have too many people and not enough resources.

Hmm. Yeah, just using the fan relay makes a lot of sense! When you get around to it I'd love to hear more about your experiences with it. The boattail makes a lot of sense from a fluid flow perspective but it's just a lot of work, for me anyway. I also like being able to park easily.

Woah, you're working on a CSA farm? Awesome! Yeah, I've been having a tough time with the heat and humidity too, and can't wait for the winter again. Did you know Nokian makes studded Hakkapeliittas for bicycles? They're awesome.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Yeah...we all grow up.....and the biggest commodity that everyone finds hard to come by is time. It is very true. I didn't believe it so much when I was younger, but there's just not enough time in the day.

I have been fortunate in that I have been able to keep my Legacy as a project car and still maintain my other activities.....even though the work on the Legacy is SLOW.

Regarding the house.....don't buy a house just to buy a house. It is a much more costly venture than just "buying a house". There's maintenance, insurance, upgrades, etc etc. If you're at the right time in your life to get a house, you'll know it.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

I totally agree with what you say about time. I didn't understand it before either. When board members would say they didn't have time to do whatever with their cars, it didn't make sense to me. Now it does. Part of it is that I have all this other stuff I'm doing, but another part is that when I was a student I had a much more flexible schedule. Working 9 to 5 really takes away a lot of flexibility and leaves you kind of pooped at the end of the day.

And about the house, yeah, that's exactly it -- right now, if the water heater breaks, I call the landlord and he fixes it. Or if I want, I offer to fix it and he pays for the repair. Right now I can't imagine wanting the responsibilities that go with owning a house; to me it makes much more sense to rent.

I guess if I did have my own house I could have room for project cars and stuff. Oh well. Later.
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

I'm totally with you on the traditions thing. Mainly, all I wanted was a garage, but I was making damn good money all of a sudden and my sister's family was in public housing and pregnant with #2, so I figured I could help them get them out. In our case, we're in a good location, have a nice yard (where we're planting fruit trees next year), we didn't buy too much house like a lot of people (oh, I'm approved for $750k—let's go shopping for houses in Manchester-By-The-Sea!), and the market hasn't been hit too hard price wise, so it wasn't a bad decision. But it is a lot of work and money that gets diverted from Duchess and Tigershark. I know most people would think that's a non-issue as houses are better investments than cars and they're where you live and so forth, but for me, a house is just a place to sleep, eat, and shower. Travelling, driving, and building stuff I designed is living. Eh, but it'll all happen eventually and I've got it pretty good, so I'm not really complaining, more just . . . comparing my possible pasts. I do too much of that.

But, yeah, I was inspired with the boat tail by the guy who did the Aerocivic, but a ~95 Civic hatch is a much shorter car to start and still got pretty long in the end. I think, and what I'd do with a sedan, that he could have shortened it with a Kamm-style cutoff, but it's still work and added length.

Actually, the CSA farm is a money-only for a share rather than work requirement, though some things are PYO, which is fine. Most of the farms around here run that way, and with my odd schedule, I couldn't consistently find the time to work there at any rate. It's a hell of a deal, though, and I'm really liking all the greens, some of which I've never had before. The stuff you get at the supermarket cannot compare to the flavor of fresh organic fruits and produce, never mind giving less support to the nightmare of industrial farming. I'm (just) starting to get into canning because of it, too. I made a few quart jars of kimchi with the bok-choy we got. I'm saving it all until winter to find out if it came out OK, but it did smell really nice. Going to be doing a lot of jams next. I'm thinking pluot and mango to start. I highly recommend a CSA. My half share (though really like 3/4) is plenty for me and my sister's family and comparable price wise to a supermarket.

And no—I did not know about the studded tires. Might be a great idea for the mountain bike. Do they make them in 27" for the racing bike(LOL!)? Thanks for the tip! I love being cold and miserable and then getting home, taking a hot shower, and relaxing with some tea.
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

evolutionmovement wrote:for me, a house is just a place to sleep, eat, and shower. Travelling, driving, and building stuff I designed is living.
I like that a lot.

Yeah, a Kammback would be an nice shorter way to get smoother airflow. In the end, though, your ideas about radically different vehicle layouts are the wat to real efficiency.

I totally hear what you're saying about CSA food. In the summer I almost never go to grocery stores. We have a CSA and the rest comes from farmers markets. Local food is actually one of the really great things about Cleveland; the local food movement is strong and farmers markets and CSAs are all over the place. It's really awesome when food tastes like food.

I was just thinking that I need to get into canning, too... that's the only way to eat locally year-round in a place with a climate like Cleveland's. Pickling is a start, and I've made pickles and kimchi, but I'd love to learn to can some vegetables and fruit.

These days bikes don't use 27" tires anymore -- the big tire diameter these days is called called 700C, or 622mm, or 29" if it's on a mountain bike. It's slightly smaller in diameter than the old 27" standard. They do make Hakkas in this size; they're just not as narrow as most road tires. The narrowest they get is 32mm, whereas most non-snow road tires are 25mm or narrower. I commute on those in the winter.