AC Help!

Subaru-related topics that don't belong anywhere else...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

cclark1894
In Neutral

AC Help!

Post by cclark1894 »

Ok, Heres the problem. I have a 94 legacy L wagon awd with a busted condenser ( I did it, but lets not get into how) Unfortunately the condenser for a 94 is model year specific, no others will hook up to the existing tubing so now I am left with 2 options. 1) hope and pray that someone on the forums lives in or near SW Virginia and has one laying around in a parts car and would sell it to me, OR 2) Find out if the tubing off of another model year will bolt up to my compressor and the drier/filter, hence eliminating the problem of not being able to find a condenser for a 94. I know the drier/filter is similar across most model years with a couple of gaps, so the primary problem is the compressor side. So, does anyone know if a compressor to condenser hose off of any legacy (or any subie for that matter) will bolt up to a 94 legacy compressor? Does anyone have a 94 condenser in a parts car that they would be willing to sell?
Apex3
Fourth Gear

Re: AC Help!

Post by Apex3 »

Why don't you go to a junkyard and see if they're the same? I don't see why it'd be different between model years
cclark1894
In Neutral

Post by cclark1894 »

There aren't any "local" junkyards in my area, all are at least 45 min to an hour away so im trying not to waste gas by driving out to all of them and not finding anything. For some reason alot of the AC components are different. I may just pull an entire ac system from the firewall up and swap it out if it comes to that. but I hope not becasue that would probably be expensive even at junkyard prices.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

The 94 Legacy condenser is different. The mounting point for the line going to the receiver drier is different.

If you wanted to use another model year condenser, you would need the piping from the condenser to the receiver drier.

Also, you should and match the condenser from the same make of AC as yours. I don't know if the 94 is calsonic or the Dexel kiki.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

The 94 system is made by Zexel/Diesel Kiki but it's almost entirely different from the 90-93 systems. In fact, I think the receiver/drier is the only thing that's the same. The 94 air conditioning system is designed from the factory to work with R134a; it's not just different fittings.

Mixing and matching components from different systems might give you substandard cooling.

If you can't find a board member who has the part you need, there's one on eBay right now: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0538729020
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212