Used Ebay 05 STI EWG Upipe&Turbo, +xtras (in progress)

That spinning thing that makes all of the cool noises. OE and Aftermarket.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

brweber352
First Gear

Used Ebay 05 STI EWG Upipe&Turbo, +xtras (in progress)

Post by brweber352 »

Got some interesteing stuff off Ebay about a month ago. It all came off a salvaged 05 STI with 53 or 63k miles, can't remember. The sellers description was a bit sketchy and the part numbers he gave for the turbo didn't come back when searching. All I saw was a stock location Upipe w/ an integrated EWG, and a Garrret Turbo with a chipped inlet. The compressor blades looked nice and sharp, so I assumed the broke piece wasn't ingested . The price stayed reasonable, so I bit, $420 and it was mine. Here are the pics the seller posted on Ebay.
Everything turned out to be in good shape except for cosmetic blemishes.

The Upipe is in good shape, removed heat wrap and found usual rust and cleaned it up. No name on it, it's black heavy duty steel pipe w/ thick flanges(actually felt hevier than the stock Upipe w/ heat shields). Oh and the I.D. is larger than stock, fits the size of turbo/Upipe gasket pefectly. Block to Upipe bracket fit just fine, after I got all my studs out of the old Upipe. :smt076

The wastegate ended up being a almost brand new Tial 38mm that came with the dump tube. It came with the large blue spring(14.5psi) and the diaphragm is perfect. I installed a small red spring(5.8psi) to start out with. Works Great, and I really like the sound now.

The Turbo ended up being a Garrett Hybrid with a CHRA p/n 700177-5013(old style 3076 with 7/14 blades), fitted to a compressor cover with a 2.4" inlet w/ no distinct markings. I didn't tear it down to measure the AR, it's not v-band and it's rusty. No shaft play, but wanted to install and make sure all was good before I left seller feedback. Makes boost and no abnormal noises.

TD05 vs Garret Hybrid
TD05 vs Garrett Hybrid

All installed

The turbo is really laggy and doesn't hit 17psi until almost 4800 rpm in 3rd, but pulls forever. Was able to hit 140mph on the speedo for the first time since owning the car. Off boost acceleration is very nice and I get to 45-60mph faster than most other cars, can climb hills without going into boost too. MPG when trying is the same as was with the TD05, 27.5mpg. This turbo slowed my 1/4 mile down from 14.7@93mph(TD05 16psi, before FMIC & MSD, w/ Revtronix stage 2 VF-11 chip), now it runs 15.5@92.5mph with the Garrett at 14.5psi(didn't run it at 17psi at the track). I'm gonna put the TD05 back on since I like to drag at test&tunes and play with the mustangs and camaros. I may go back to the track and try a 17psi run before I put the TD05 back on. This is actually a nice commuter turbo, a complete beast at highway speeds, but I like to drag to often. If I can get this thing to spool quicker in the future, it may go back on.

I've been wanting to go EWG for awhile. I have crazy boost creep when my 3" cutout is open on my HKS Dpipe. A bellmouth probably would have fixed this, but I picked up this HKS a long time ago for 60 bucks and now it's perfect with this EWG setup.

More to come soon,
Brian
93'TLegWag171k StockBlock,TD05,HallmanMBC,530cc,Walbro255,shortram,LWpulley,DIS-2,MSDcoil,cxrFMIC,trans cooler/external filter,WRX wheels/brakes,CES w/Borla muffler,QTP elec cutout,REVchip2,KYB GR2,GroupN tops/all fr bushings,STImounts,GSD3 tires,LM-1,etc
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Used Ebay 05 STI EWG Upipe&Turbo, +xtras (in progress)

Post by Legacy777 »

Nice work and update!

Keep at it.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Florin1
Fourth Gear

Post by Florin1 »

Very nice score man. I wanna hear that thing at WOT since i got an EW'ed vf22 sitting about to go on. I wanna hear what its gonna sound like
1994 Legacy Sport Sedan.
1991 Legacy Sport Sedan.
brweber352
First Gear

Post by brweber352 »

I was originally just going to put the TD05 back on in stock form, but decided to practice porting and polishing on a turbo. This is my first attempt at porting and polishing a turbo and only my second attempt at porting anything. This is all free hand with a corded Dremel, except for using some grey primer I had lying around to trace the outline of the Upipe gasket. I am a novice so there is a good possibility I ruined a perferctly good TD05, but I like to be optimistic and I think it will be better than ever(fingers and toes crossed).

I was originally just going to keep it simple and PnP the turbine housing inlet.

Keeping it simple never seems to happen. The compressor cover was eyen' the shit out of me when I was spending all my time on the turbine housing. She was acting all neglected and shit, so I had to spend a lil' time with her.

Some stock shots of her before.

After, Stage 1

After seeing the pictures on my computer I was not happy with the results.

After, Stage 2.

Again I was not satisfied, so I cleaned it up a lil' more today.

After, Stage 3

I'm pretty happy with it now, but I still think I could clean up the inlet side a lil' more. I probably need to stop now, so as to not push my luck. I wish I could get in it further but I think if I stop now, I should be safe. I'm not sure if people polish the whole tract or just the inlet and outlet. I did manage to avoid gouging the machined surface where the compressor wheel sits.

Doing all this got me reminiscent about my old VF-8 and TMIC setup, which was netting me a consistant 1.8-- 60' times. When I swapped to the TD05 w/ TMIC, my 60' times fell to 2.2--. I have no idea what the car runs with the TD05 and FMIC installed. I would be completely stoked if I could get a 1.8sec - 2.0sec 60' time with this EWG, PnP TD05, and FMIC. This may not be possible, but we shall see.

Still more to come, but it's late and I gotta go to work tomorrow.

Oh, if I'm posting to many pictures let me now and I'll try to calm it down some. I'm just trying to document it decently.

Brian
93'TLegWag171k StockBlock,TD05,HallmanMBC,530cc,Walbro255,shortram,LWpulley,DIS-2,MSDcoil,cxrFMIC,trans cooler/external filter,WRX wheels/brakes,CES w/Borla muffler,QTP elec cutout,REVchip2,KYB GR2,GroupN tops/all fr bushings,STImounts,GSD3 tires,LM-1,etc
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Looks like you're honing your p&p skills. It looks good. Don't worry about posting too many pictures :)
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Florin1
Fourth Gear

Post by Florin1 »

Wow man, GREAT job! Looks good. How long did that take? 12 hours? Thats my guess. I once polished the inside of my M3's quad tips. Boy did i regret it halfway trough. The finished product looked gangster though...
1994 Legacy Sport Sedan.
1991 Legacy Sport Sedan.
wtdash
Fifth Gear

Post by wtdash »

How much you charge for a PnP on my TD05? :-)

Looks great and that Garrett is a Beast.. Surprised it fits in the stock location.

Td
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'90 BJ EJ22T/DOHC & 5speed swap - SOLD
'04 FXT, Forged internals, VF39, STI TMIC, Cobb AP- SOLD
'93 Legacy SS - 5-speed, SOLD :-(
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
brweber352
First Gear

Post by brweber352 »

Thanks to all for the kind words of encouragement.

Legacy777, it's always nice to get your feedback.

Florin1, Probably close to 12 hours. Maybe 2 hours on the turbine housinf and 10 hours on the compressor cover. It's hard to tell as time seems to stand still when I work on my Subie, great for me, not so good for my stepdad. LOL

wtdash, I don't really feel comfortable accepting money right now for my services. If you would like, maybe in the future you could just ship me the turbine housing and compressor cover along with whatever it would cost to ship it back. I would do it for free and if you were happy you could throw me a bone or two! I think most turbo places will do this fairly cheap and better quality. This is completely up to you, but realize with my limited experience, I could very well ruin it, and I will not buy you a new one if this happens.:) So think very carefully, and if this is a straight inlet compressor I have no experience with these.

I will post some pics of my first PnP job and let you decide after you see them

Brian
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

The finished product looks great. At first I was like, meh I dunno if you did yourself any good on that. But then stage 2 and then stage 3! Changed everything. Nice work.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
brweber352
First Gear

Post by brweber352 »

kimokalihi, Thanks. At first I was like, uh oh, this is gonna suck. I'm now fairly satisified with it.

To all, sorry for not updating sooner I've been swamped at work and now I don't have my laptop handy. Hopefully I'll get my laptop back this weekend and can post some new pics.

I decided to PnP the turbine housing outlet too, also trying to fab a lil piece of exhaust piping to seperate the internal wastegate area from the turbine outlet. This piece is probably not needed, but I figure it would keep exhaust from filling the pocket that's leftover after welding the WG shut. It's kinda like how some divorced downpipes use a plate to seperate the sides. I think it's supposed to help reduce turbulance in the exhaust stream when the wastegate opens, basically helps spool. Since I don't have IWG anymore not sure if it will help any, but I figured that pocket would have to be filled with exhaust gas, and it will probably bounce back and forth causing unneeded turbulance, IDK.

Yes, I will still post pics of my first PnP job I ever did, though it was a complete disaster, aside from learning from my mistakes. Hint, it was on a stock ej22t head.

I'm still running this huge Garrett. Seems to max the MAF around 15psi, been running a steady 14psi and no problems, and yes the occasional 17psi which is a blast(Not detonation,LOL)! The guy in the Hemi Challenger waves to me evey morning now, and has yet to try me since I pulled from him at 120 and went to 140! No, I have not been back to the 140 since, it is a whole other world compared to 120 and should only be done on a closed course, IMHO.

Later, Brian
brweber352
First Gear

Post by brweber352 »

Okay, here's my first attempt at PnP. I had been reading some posts about head swapping, head porting, and PnP in general. I was feeling overly confident and dove head first. I only have one pic of the first set of ports I tried on, a shotgun would have done a better job :-D .

So thats where the spark plug goes!

Second set of ports I tried.

Intake.

Exhaust.

Cleanup.

I have since put off head PnP for now. I"ve read and learned alot more about the subject and am still reading up on it. I've been reading about dry and wet flow benches and ideally this is what would be used but there are none locally that I know of. I may comeback to this in the future but I would at least need some sort of dye or paint to get the ports close to the same sizes, so all the cylinders would be somewhat close to even.

More Coming,
Brian
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Good work!

Just a comment,

On the intake side I would probably have more of a knife edge split between the two cylinders to help separate the flow. The more blunt that edge, it will create a high pressure zone there that will decrease flow due to resistance, eddying, etc.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

impreza_GC8
First Gear

Post by impreza_GC8 »

Wow good work with the ebay score. Bet it sounds nasty! What supporting mods do you have?
-'97 Outback - EJ25 block/pistons/HLA heads, EJ22T crank/rods/ECU, EJ20G intake manifold/fuel rails/440cc injectors, VF8 @ 11psi. . . . Fuel cut > me
brweber352
First Gear

Post by brweber352 »

Legacy777 wrote:Good work!

Just a comment,

On the intake side I would probably have more of a knife edge split between the two cylinders to help separate the flow. The more blunt that edge, it will create a high pressure zone there that will decrease flow due to resistance, eddying, etc.
Thanks for the tip. After I broke through to the spark plug hole, I was ready to give up, but I eventualy calmed down and just realized I needed to focus on MILD and not WILD. I did go back to the first set of ports and used a cutter to see how much I could take away from the area your talking about, it seems like it is solid through. I may dig the head out and take some pics of the the other side of intake on attempt 1. My step dad talked about how he used a saw(I think he said a band saw?) and sliced a head longways on a Ford 351W to see how the passages went through the head, so he knew where and how much material he could remove, before he ported and polished. I was thinking about slicing the other spare ej22t head i have and see what the deal is, if I do this i will post pictures.

impreza_GC8 wrote:Wow good work with the ebay score. Bet it sounds nasty! What supporting mods do you have?
Thanks, yeah it sounds nice. It's cool how it's just a lil rumble through the Borla until I hit peak boost, then it's like there's another lil Subaru with open exhaust under my car, LOL. Don't get me wrong, it is loud, but not nearly as loud as when my DP cutout is open. I figure if the noise police ever get me, the WG will never open just free revving the motor, so maybe they'll think it was someone else. "I mean, come on officer, it's a 93 station wagon" :-D .

Supporting mods, a wing and a prayer, LOL. I'm thinking about carrying a mop and bucket to clean my motor up off the ground when it goes :shock: .

I'm currently running the Revtronix stage 2 TD04 chip with STI yellowtop 550's(mine flow 530cc) and the JECS MAF. I run it on power mode all the time and never get any detonation(that I can hear or the ECU can sense anyway). I pull the plugs frequently to inspect, and I do regular compression tests. I am very religous on ALL maintenance, and make every effort to decrease under hood temps and inlet temps. AFR's stay between 11.3-11.5 (I only use Chevron 93 octane E10)at WOT@14-15psi when I don't max the MAF, when i max the MAF @17psi AFR's stay between 10.3-10.5 at WOT. I know AFR isn't everything and I really need some better datalogging and EM, I need to at least get a EGT gauge and a piggy back to fine tune across the entire rpm range. If you look at my signature it lists most of my mods. I've been pondering the idea of a reverse mount hood scoop, we'll see.

I've been leaning towards the MAFTpro or standalone if I'm gonna keep playing "the game", I'm really trying to just get the TD05 back on and just drive it around 16-18psi and enjoy it, and try to save some more money before I put anymore money in it,LOL. Basically I've been dipping into my oh-shit fund(A.K.A. buy another car fund), I need to just buy another car for my DD so I can spend some extended down time on this TLeg. This TLeg is only my second car and I love it terribly, I been thinking about getting a 91-up 2.2 N/A Legacy or Impreza AWD as my daily or some sort of fuel miser, but I just love driving this ole TLeg.

I don't recommend anyone doing what I do, the slightest bit of detonation could scatter my motor across town. I like to experiment with how much this thing can take and eventually it will take it's toll. I've had this car since 88k miles and just broke 170k the other day, the block has never been split and the headgaskets are stock, and i mean stock, what the car came with from the factory back in 93(unless they were changed before I got it, I highly doubt it though). I paid $500 for the car 4,5, maybe even 6 years ago now, I can't remember I'll have to dig out the title, but it has well paid for itself and has been the car I learned about cars on. I could barely change oil when I got this thing and had no idea what 4 stroke and 2 stroke meant, was all caught up in whatever bolt ons i could get and quickly realized that there is no such thing for these old Leggys. This was a good thing for me as it made me have to learn how things work. I drive this car daily and it has never left me stranded or refused to start(except when I started turning up the boost and kept frying stock fuel pumps, that's when I learned about Walbro and fuel delivery/demand).

More coming,
Brian

Teaser pic

Misc pics

Hmm.....
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

brweber352 wrote:Teaser pic
That thing is like a mirror!
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

brweber352
First Gear

Post by brweber352 »

Thanks Josh. It came out alot better than I thought it would, I think it's all about the felt wheel and polishing compound I used. I may have messed up though as I installed a plate like I was talking about. For some reason, I had it in my head that exhaust piping wall thickness was 1/8". I put the plate in with a 2 3/4 I.D. spacing, where it should have been 2 7/8" for my 3'' DP. I don't know if it will hurt anything or not, or make any diference vs. no plate. I'm just really trying my hardest to do everything I can to make it spool faster. I've got some pictures I'll be posting in the next couple days about the turbine housing outlet. I hate cast iron so much!

Brian
brweber352
First Gear

Post by brweber352 »

Okay, turbine housing outlet time.

At first I just used a carbide bit to knock of the rough spots and open it up just a lil', I don't have a spare DP gasket so I wasn't going to port match the housing. After I looked at it a couple times I realized that the impression from the gasket was still there, I believe this is called the the Fire Ring part of the gasket. I just used this as the outline.

(I just realized after looking through the pictures that I didn't port it all the way out, lower part of the outlet still has some material I could've removed. I can't remember why I did this, if I just forgot, maybe the size of the pipe/spacer I made limited me, maybe the housing was getting thin? I dunno what the heck is going on! Man I'm not liking how these pictures are looking, there maybe a stage 4 coming. I already made this post, so I'm leaving it.)

Stage 1.

In these pics you can see the outline of the fire ring. This is also where I was going to originaly put the plate.

I moved on to 60 grit sanding rolls/barrels or whatever their called, and flap wheels(80 grit and 120 grit), I found it easier to shape the housing while removing material at the same time vs. the carbide bits.

Stage 2.

After 60 grit rolls, and 80 and 120 grit flap wheels.
Moved onto sanding/buffing pads after I got the basic shape I wanted. They come in packs of two, one pack had two 320 grit buffers, the other pack had one 180 grit and one 280 grit buffers.
The brown one is 180, and the black one is 280. Don't have pic of the 320, but they're purple in color.
This is after using just the 180 and 280 grit buffers, no pic of after the 320. It looked pretty good even after the 280, IMHO.

Like i said i don't have pics of after the 320 grit buff, but it was pretty nice and I almost stopped after the 320. I decided to try the felt wheel and orange polishing compound that came in the Dremal kit I have, this is what helped make the compressor cover turn out so smooth, figured it was worth a try. I really wasn't expecting it to do much on the cast iron, boy was I wrong. Seems like this is the most important step in getting to that mirror finish.

Stage 3.

This is after two 320 grit buffers, and the felt wheel and polishing compound. Pictures taken outside in natural sunlight, no flash or artificial light.
These where taken inside, under fluorescent lights with camera flash.

I jumped the gun a lil' and installed the plate I was talking about, also welded flapper shut. All the welding was done by my stepdad and his vision isn't what it used to be(cataracts/diabetes), and he doesn't trust me to weld stuff, and he likes to poke into my little,"Ricer Projects", as he likes to call it. So the welding is messy, but not catastrophic, also note that I got splash on my nice polished surface and had to re-sand, re-buff, and polish the whole thing again(lightly).The spacing and shaping is all off, but I was just trying to get this thing done. I need to put it back together and get it on the car. I'm always rushing myself, and I aint russian, LOL.

I'm not liking how the finished project looks, but I don't think what I did should hurt anything. I could be wrong. I still think spool should be faster, even though it's not perfect.

What do you guys think? Should I keep trying to make it better? Just slap it on like it is, and be satisfied I at least tried?

I know it's kinda late for opinions on what would work best. If I do decide to keep working on it, you guys got any ideas on what would help? I value all Board Members opinions and criticism, so anyone can feel free to chime in, no wrong answers here. I will take in all input and create my own opinion.

Brian
kleinkid
Fourth Gear

Post by kleinkid »

Install it. Don't forget to take your OCD meds. Of course, just kidding about the meds!
brweber352
First Gear

Post by brweber352 »

LOL^ :lol:

I self diagnosed, well, myself, with Selective OCD, years ago... As far as meds go, they come in many forms.
To each their own, live long and prosper :wink:.

I probably should just install it, and I probably will. However, it might get an accidental touch up :roll:.

I've got some other turbos that I could be playing with, and I definately want to play with a PnP VF8, in the future.

VF8, TD05
VF8, TD05
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Yeah, I'd just install it. There is a law of diminishing returns. I think you've done A LOT more than most do.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

brweber352
First Gear

Post by brweber352 »

Yeah, I'm just gonna focus on reassembly this week and maybe install it in the next few weeks.

Thanks guys,
Brian