New Subie New Forum

Subaru-related topics that don't belong anywhere else...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

WagALeg92
In Neutral

New Subie New Forum

Post by WagALeg92 »

Hey guys after a bit of lurking this is my first post, recently bought a 92 Subaru Legacy with 120,000 miles on it, it is all wheel drive with a 5 speed manual and the N/A 2.2 engine. After serching for a Legacy Turbo for almost 6 Months I found this one for $700.

I've decided that im gonna get a JDM EJ20t from the JDM warehouse and use megasquirt for an ECU and tuning i think its probably gonna take me all winter to gather the parts, any input you guys have about this would be a great help.

Thanks, Frank

1992 Subaru Legacy AWD Wagon
Daily Driver
Florin1
Fourth Gear

Re: New Subie New Forum

Post by Florin1 »

i think most of us are using the 20g motors. Isn't the 20t the twin turbo one? oh and Welcome. :-)
1994 Legacy Sport Sedan.
1991 Legacy Sport Sedan.
kleinkid
Fourth Gear

Post by kleinkid »

I believe from what I have read, search this forum it has been discussed, that left hand drive and the twin turbo motor don't work well together.
WagALeg92
In Neutral

Post by WagALeg92 »

Florin1 wrote:i think most of us are using the 20g motors. Isn't the 20t the twin turbo one? oh and Welcome. :-)
Thanks for the welcome Florin1 I must be mistaken in my motor terms I'm gonna use a single turbo 2.0 but not a USDM one I thought the twin turbo was the EJ20H for some reason I gotta read up on my stuff a little bit I guess
Daily Driver
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Twin turbo is EJ20H and it will not fit in a LHD legacy. Single turbo JDM 2.0 is either EJ20G or EJ20K.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
Aerotech
Fourth Gear

Post by Aerotech »

You may have problems with NYS inspection if you have no check engine light functionality... unless you have a hookup at an inspection station.
See if you can find someone running the megasquirt on a road car in NY, maybe the forums for the ECU.
Jerry

'04 Passat GLS 4Motion 5MT (Subaru by VW)
'86 Vanagon Syncro Camper Garage Queen
WagALeg92
In Neutral

Post by WagALeg92 »

Aerotech wrote:You may have problems with NYS inspection if you have no check engine light functionality... unless you have a hookup at an inspection station.
See if you can find someone running the megasquirt on a road car in NY, maybe the forums for the ECU.
I've seen Megasquirt applications on an old Loyalle Wagon, I have an inspectiopn station hookup too but i think that we might be able to play with the tuning to get it running extremely lean to pass the emissions since it's just an idle test.

I can make an Emissions Map for the MS2 unit and program it once i pull in to the inspection bay it might work any theroys?

Heres there website im probubly getting the Megasquirt 2 unit.
http://www.diyautotune.com/
Daily Driver
n2x4
Fourth Gear

Post by n2x4 »

The DIYAutotune guys are really good to work with, you won't be disappointed buying from them! Congrats on the buy, that's a steal!
SUBARUEHS Racing
skid542
Fifth Gear

Post by skid542 »

A point of clarity regarding EJ20H and it working in LHD cars.

The EJ20H motor WILL work, period. The twin turbo setup, WILL NOT work. The motor itself though will work just fine. You will need to cap off the oil and coolant lines on the driver's side head, but that's it.

So if you do end up getting a EJ20H motor, you can still use it just fine but you will need to run a single turbo setup on it like any other USDM subaru.

I don't want to come across with the wrong tone here, just wanted to make sure it is well understood that the issue with the EJ20H not working in LHD cars has nothing to do with the motor, just the turbo setup.

And FWIW, I'm running EJ20H heads on my car and love them. Others here have also run them.

Otherwise - welcome to the boards :). That's an awesome picture too.
Lee

93' SS, 5mt swapped, 182k, not stock...
96' N/A OBW 5sp, 212k, Couple mods... RIP
99' N/A OBW, 4eat, mostly stock.
WagALeg92
In Neutral

Post by WagALeg92 »

n2x4 wrote:The DIYAutotune guys are really good to work with, you won't be disappointed buying from them! Congrats on the buy, that's a steal!
Thanks man, did you ever do any buisness with the DIYAutotune guys because im having trouble finding a Base Map for my motot?
Daily Driver
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

skid542 wrote:A point of clarity regarding EJ20H and it working in LHD cars.

The EJ20H motor WILL work, period. The twin turbo setup, WILL NOT work. The motor itself though will work just fine. You will need to cap off the oil and coolant lines on the driver's side head, but that's it.

So if you do end up getting a EJ20H motor, you can still use it just fine but you will need to run a single turbo setup on it like any other USDM subaru.

I don't want to come across with the wrong tone here, just wanted to make sure it is well understood that the issue with the EJ20H not working in LHD cars has nothing to do with the motor, just the turbo setup.

And FWIW, I'm running EJ20H heads on my car and love them. Others here have also run them.

Otherwise - welcome to the boards :). That's an awesome picture too.
Gotta throw my .02 in since i have 20H Heads as well!

Also i believe the other TT Motor was the 20R?
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT