Question regarding ride height of STI springs

Struts, spring, anti-rollbars, braces and the like.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Vandal_RS
In Neutral

Question regarding ride height of STI springs

Post by Vandal_RS »

Hey all,

I am about to acquire a set pf 07 STI springs, and I was curious what the final ride height will be. I am hoping it is pretty close to stock. I am a little confused about the ride height these springs will give me on my 92 SS. I read in the stickied fitment thread that it was inferred that they will give you a 30mm+- drop. That comes out to about 1.2", and a little more then I wanted. Is this the case? I searched a few variations of "sti springs ride height" and just "sti springs" with no luck. Most of the results were about making them fit. I've got that part down. I know somebody is running these. If someone can measure the hub to fender distance or even just post a pic or point me to a pic I missed, it would make my day.

Thank you!
Last edited by Vandal_RS on Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
92 Legacy Sport
00 Impreza 2.5RS
Apex3
Fourth Gear

Re: Question regarding ride height of STI springs

Post by Apex3 »

Almost identical to stock, it's what I have, at most it's 1/4" higher, but I don't think it's even that much
Vandal_RS
In Neutral

Post by Vandal_RS »

Awesome! That is exactly what I wanted to hear. Is height level front to rear? What struts are you using?
92 Legacy Sport
00 Impreza 2.5RS
Apex3
Fourth Gear

Post by Apex3 »

I actually have 04 strut/spring in the front, 06 strut/spring in the rear, both with the Legacy top hats, the height is essentially level, here these are the best pics I can find of the height

Compared to stock:

Vandal_RS
In Neutral

Post by Vandal_RS »

Thanks a lot, that really helped me out! I'll post pics of mine when I finally find the rear strut mounts...
Last edited by Vandal_RS on Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
92 Legacy Sport
00 Impreza 2.5RS
sqc151
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by sqc151 »

Apex3 wrote:Image
thats really nice. good job... :-D

where did u get the corner lights??
Apex3
Fourth Gear

Post by Apex3 »

sqc151 wrote:
thats really nice. good job... :-D

where did u get the corner lights??
Thanks!

And from Hobby Town :lol: I sprayed them with Tamiya Clear Orange model paint
Vandal_RS
In Neutral

Post by Vandal_RS »

A little update. I installed the 07 STi springs, using V5 STi (GC) struts, and 91 rear strut mounts. The ride height is the very similar to what it was with 2000 2.5RS springs with these struts. On the RS springs, center of the hub to fender measured 13.5 inches in front and 13.75 inches in the rear. With the 07 STi springs and V5 STi struts, the measurement is 13.5 front, 13.5 rear. I never took a measurement when it was stock, so I am just eyeballing the difference. It is definitely lower then Apex3's car in those pics. I'll try to get pics up soon.

Anyway, it seems that GD struts contribute to significantly to the ride height. It is also worth mentioning that when I installed those V5 struts on my GC, making no other changes, it raised the ride height .5 inches. So if you are using stock GC struts or KYB replacements, you might have an even lower ride height.

I was a little disappointed with where the ride ended up, I was hoping for closer to stock for rallycross. But it does look mean as hell!

With my 225/45/17 Kumho MXs and a good alignment, it is beast in the corners now. A huge improvement over stock and over the RS springs. Ride quality actually improved, I am guessing because the STi struts are meant to be paired with springs similar to these rates. Had to roll the rear fenders, and it still rubs a little in the front under full steering lock. For reference, the wheels are Enkei RPO2s, 17x7.5 48 offset.
92 Legacy Sport
00 Impreza 2.5RS
Apex3
Fourth Gear

Post by Apex3 »

Hmm that's odd, I guess it's possible that the STi perch sits a tad higher than the Legacy or GC perch. The other possibility is if your springs had a rough life and are starting to sag, but that seems a little to soon for that.