Engine timing change due to head or deck milling

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Re: Engine timing change due to head or deck milling

Post by cj91legss »

Legacy777 wrote:Unfortunately one of the pullies got damaged with the die grinder. I'm hesistant to use it.
I think you should pick up a new pulley
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Yeah I picked up a new pulley today.

I really would like to degree the cam...but I can't for the life of me see a good way to connect the degree wheel to the cam pulley. These engines are just not setup well to do that.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
bry
First Gear

Post by bry »

damn Josh, that looks like a pain in the arse! i can see how it would be difficult to pull out the slack and still adjust the eccentrics. as awesome as the subie self-adjusting tensioner is, it would fight you tooth and nail in that scenario. i wonder if you could pin it shut and slip a spring over then end to provide some compliance during the adjustment?

my experience with the driver's side molded-cover mark is the same, it doesn't quite line up (as observed on a '90 & '94). i counted the teeth between sprocket marks just to make sure it was not off a tooth. evidently, that's just the way it is...

the marks on your idler are just near the edge, so the belt should have plenty of support remaining. probably wouldn't hurt to smooth out the damaged area with some 80 grit.
bry
First Gear

Post by bry »

Legacy777 wrote:Yeah I picked up a new pulley today.

I really would like to degree the cam...but I can't for the life of me see a good way to connect the degree wheel to the cam pulley. These engines are just not setup well to do that.
if you can find center, you can glue/double side adhesive them on. do you have access to a CAD station? measure the pulley OD, then draw this OD on CAD along with 360 evenly spaced radial lines. Plot it out full scale and double side tape those bad boys on!

you could even leave a hole in the middle allowing access for a socket to turn the pulleys....

here's a question for you subie experts... why did subaru add the extra marks to the cam and crank pullies? my first t-belt job, the one on the crankshaft bit me! didn't have a manual at that time and the mark at the reluctor was covered in grease. why are there two non-coincidental marks on every pulley????
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

i wanna know that too
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I've got a timing wheel I purchased, so it's just a matter of attaching it properly. I guess I could make one using CAD, like you mentioned.

Regarding the additional marks on the crank & cam pullies. When they are aligned with the timing marks on the cam covers and oil pump, they are indicating the number one cylinder is at TDC on the compression stroke.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm