who built a ej22e turbo

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Falken-18c
Second Gear

who built a ej22e turbo

Post by Falken-18c »

Im just looking to see who has an ej22e turbo and i just wanted to know what type of power there running and the amount of boost running. I still havent decided what to do with my 92 subaru legacy im just seeing what others have done with the ej22e maybe ill do the ej20 swap i dont know lol...
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: who built a ej22e turbo

Post by Legacy777 »

There's quite a few people that have built these turbo motors. Depending on supporting mods, heads, engine management, etc you can get some decent power out of them. An ej20 may provide for a better platform due to the fact the heads flow better and there's more aftermarket support for it.

Not sure what info you're looking for, if you can clarify, that may help others in replying.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Falken-18c
Second Gear

Post by Falken-18c »

just any information about the ej22e and also does will any subaru manual trasmision work in my 92 legacy
wtdash
Fifth Gear

Post by wtdash »

A SEARCH will pull up those doing the EJ22e Turbo - Doug Vincent/Redevil is one.

The 5-speed is cable-actuated on the non-turbo EJ22 Legacys; and hydraulic on the Turbos and newer 2.5s, I believe??

Also, make sure you match your rear diff ratio. 4.11 on NA Legacys (3.9 on Turbos) but may be different on Imprezas.

TD
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'90 BJ EJ22T/DOHC & 5speed swap - SOLD
'04 FXT, Forged internals, VF39, STI TMIC, Cobb AP- SOLD
'93 Legacy SS - 5-speed, SOLD :-(
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
GeneralDisorder
First Gear

Post by GeneralDisorder »

Falken-18c wrote:will any subaru manual trasmision work in my 92 legacy
You have to use a non-turbo transmission or you get into a lot more work swapping over to a hydraulic pedal/MC setup... Anything up to '97 and some '98s will work easily - even the hydraulic non-turbo transmissions can be switched over to cable by using the cable fork instead of the hydro one. Most turbo trannys cannot be converted to cable clutch without a whole bunch of work. If you get a tranny that's newer than '97/'98 then you will have to deal with the 8-bolt bell-housing changes and maybe a few other small things - all that stuff can be overcome one way or another if you want it in there badly enough.

GD
91 SS, 94 GT, 84 Wagon, 83 Hatch, 85 Brat.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

On the non turbo transmissions, just to note the cable clutch fork and hydraulic clutch fork require the pivot ball the be moved. There's two positions for the pivot ball to go. You can see what I'm talking about in this pic. You may have to tap the other boss to accept the pivot ball.

http://www.surrealmirage.com/subaru/ima ... P_3077.JPG
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
BoostedSubie
Second Gear

Post by BoostedSubie »

I haven't turboed the ej22e but my buddy did in his 95 legacy. He used his stock ecu with a piggyback(not sure what one), a wrx manifold,uppipe,turbo,and downpipe. He had the 2.5rs fuel pump and injectors i think, wrx intercooler. Regardless, it woul be a waste of time and money if you want any kind of power, more than 7 lbs of boost. He blew one his pistons to shit and all the rings too after only a couple of months. Then he had another ej22e that he ran on 100 shot of nitrous and didi the same thing. I swapped the ej22t into my non turbo 93 legacy wagon and it was relatively easy. I got the motor in pieces in boxes and bins but with help from josh it went smoothly. Before i got the motor i looked into the ej20 because i had a hard time tracking down a ej22t(which i really wanted for the solid deck factor) then but then a low mileage motor and almost everything needed for the swap on craigslist. I already had the cable 5spd in my car, i just had to put my flywheel on it cuz the flywheel for the hydro setup is different. I put a stg 2 clutch(cheaper than hydro style too) in mine also to handle the added power. I would suggest going with ej22t due to it being nearly invincible but that is just my opinion.
93 Black Legacy SS
93 Legacy
97 Outback- EJ25D/22e frankenmotor
97 Green Outback
97 Red Legacy GT
98 Silver Legacy GT- Pikes Peak build, built EJ22t/205, GT3076r
99 Black Legacy GT wagon
MikeyMeyagi
Second Gear

Post by MikeyMeyagi »

BoostedSubie wrote:I haven't turboed the ej22e but my buddy did in his 95 legacy. He used his stock ecu with a piggyback(not sure what one), a wrx manifold,uppipe,turbo,and downpipe. He had the 2.5rs fuel pump and injectors i think, wrx intercooler. Regardless, it woul be a waste of time and money if you want any kind of power, more than 7 lbs of boost. He blew one his pistons to shit and all the rings too after only a couple of months. Then he had another ej22e that he ran on 100 shot of nitrous and didi the same thing. I swapped the ej22t into my non turbo 93 legacy wagon and it was relatively easy. I got the motor in pieces in boxes and bins but with help from josh it went smoothly. Before i got the motor i looked into the ej20 because i had a hard time tracking down a ej22t(which i really wanted for the solid deck factor) then but then a low mileage motor and almost everything needed for the swap on craigslist. I already had the cable 5spd in my car, i just had to put my flywheel on it cuz the flywheel for the hydro setup is different. I put a stg 2 clutch(cheaper than hydro style too) in mine also to handle the added power. I would suggest going with ej22t due to it being nearly invincible but that is just my opinion.
your buddy clearly did it wrong.
lots of ppl have built reliable ej22e turbo motors that have lasted for years. it was clearly detonating to blow the ringlands off the pistons. with a good tune and proper management that wouldnt be an issue. an rs pump and injectors are too small for any amount of safe boost.

OP, if i were you, id use the 22e block and a set of 25d DOHC heads, that will lower the compression ratio, and boost flow. for management you need at least 370cc injectors (nissan sr20det ones work perfect in n/a rails), a walbro 255 fuel pump, or at least a stock wrx or sti one, and id reccomend the aem F/IC piggyback computer, it allows you to pull timing in boost and compensate for bigger injectors.
94 Supra Turbo 6 speed. build in progress
98 Lexus GS300, single turbo 2JZGTE swap. daily driver
93 Impreza wagon, home brewed n/a-t ken block themed winter drift missle

*sold*
94 Alpine Sport Wagon... STi conversion, rotated turbo etc
BoostedSubie
Second Gear

Post by BoostedSubie »

As far as my buddy goes, I agree with you there. He didn't really put a lot of thought and effort into it. He worked at a junk yard, so he always had a couple of extra motors laying around. Thats why I said I wasn't sure with the rs pump and injectors, he pieced so many cars together to make that one, I'm not sure what he all used. I just figure on a limited budget it would be more money to turbo a motor that was never was than to just use one that was turboed from the factory. Even with a good budget it makes more sense to me to use the EJ22t or a EJ20 because if you want to continue to build on it in the future, you have the strength of those motors. Just my opinion though, not knocking the idea or anything. By the way, I love your alpine wagon mikey. I just hope mine will look and perform that great in the future, props on the build.
93 Black Legacy SS
93 Legacy
97 Green Outback
97 Red Legacy GT
99 Black Legacy GT wagon
MikeyMeyagi
Second Gear

Post by MikeyMeyagi »

BoostedSubie wrote:As far as my buddy goes, I agree with you there. He didn't really put a lot of thought and effort into it. He worked at a junk yard, so he always had a couple of extra motors laying around. Thats why I said I wasn't sure with the rs pump and injectors, he pieced so many cars together to make that one, I'm not sure what he all used. I just figure on a limited budget it would be more money to turbo a motor that was never was than to just use one that was turboed from the factory. Even with a good budget it makes more sense to me to use the EJ22t or a EJ20 because if you want to continue to build on it in the future, you have the strength of those motors. Just my opinion though, not knocking the idea or anything. By the way, I love your alpine wagon mikey. I just hope mine will look and perform that great in the future, props on the build.
Thanks man! The wagon has been a fun project.... The prob with a budget build with a 22t is, frankly, they are not cheap or easy to get. Ive personally tuned a number of 10.0:1 comp ratio 1.8l hondas making 300-350whp on completely stock motors. what im getting at, is with a proper tune a n/a motor can hold boost and make good power for a long time....

*sold*
BoostedSubie
Second Gear

Post by BoostedSubie »

Yeah I see what you mean. I haven't built a lot of turboed motors, my experience lies more in na. I have wanted to build more, I just am picky with doing things, so I like to start with a strong platform. I currently am helping a buddy build up his Volvo 740 turbo which is new for me, I prefer Jap tuners, so haven't built up too many Euros. So, it should be fun.
93 Black Legacy SS
93 Legacy
97 Green Outback
97 Red Legacy GT
99 Black Legacy GT wagon
MikeyMeyagi
Second Gear

Post by MikeyMeyagi »

BoostedSubie wrote:Yeah I see what you mean. I haven't built a lot of turboed motors, my experience lies more in na. I have wanted to build more, I just am picky with doing things, so I like to start with a strong platform. I currently am helping a buddy build up his Volvo 740 turbo which is new for me, I prefer Jap tuners, so haven't built up too many Euros. So, it should be fun.
cool, i used to have a volvo 242 turbo. when the 4cyl wore out from bigger turbos and lots of boost, i pulled it and swapped in a built EFI ford 5.0.... i wish i had done a inline 6, 1jz or something...

*sold*