Wheel won't come off, pilot is stuck on hub....

Where the power meets the road.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

bry
First Gear

Wheel won't come off, pilot is stuck on hub....

Post by bry »

This is funny stuff. I rotated tires front to back, and now the front passenger wheel is stuck. The center hole/pilot seems to be a little smaller than the rear wheel. Inspection of the front hub shows previous owner had struck the hub pilot with a hammer which flared it slightly (during axle change I'm guessing). This was enough to totally stick the wheel.

With the car jacked up, I slid under and gave the tire a good kick, but it wouldn't budge. So, instead of kicking and beating the tire, I decided to do things the easy way. I loosened all 5 lug nuts, leaving about an 1/8" gap between the seat and nut. With the weight of the car on the wheels, i grabbed the top of the wheel and pulled with all my body weight. On the second pull, it popped loose, no problema....

Of course I followed up by grinding/filing off the flared area. Problem solved....
mike-tracy

Re: Wheel won't come off, pilot is stuck on hub....

Post by mike-tracy »

Nice. I try to spray that area with lube when I remember, since I've experienced that too. The worst is if there's no brake rotors on the car, the wheels are almost impossible to take off after sitting a couple months.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
jefferson
Third Gear

Re: Wheel won't come off, pilot is stuck on hub....

Post by jefferson »

Use a little never seize around it and you won't have any problems the next time you go to take off the wheels.

Jeff
91 Black SS 5spd. Edm lights, wrx gauges in dash, 45 degree airbox, cryoed drilled and slotted brakes. Invidia divorced downpipe with custom stainless exhaust. To be installed, aluminum a-arms, manual belts, awic.