Trailer idea.

Subaru-related topics that don't belong anywhere else...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Danny-G
Fourth Gear

Trailer idea.

Post by Danny-G »

I came up with this one a few weeks ago and I've been looking for a totaled post lift sedan thats somewhat local to cut up. Like this, the area circled in black is what I would like to make as a trailer. Any advice and input on what to expect would be helpful.
Danny
biggreen96 wrote:well get out there and smash that geo around and get comfy.
1993 Legacy LS Awd: lifted, 4eat, higher mileage, and dirty.
1994 Legacy Turbo wagon: rwd, 4eat, and a faint knock..
1992 Legacy postal: bone stock, 4eat, blown reverse.
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Re: Trailer idea.

Post by evolutionmovement »

I'd expect a lot of work. The rear isn't a separate structure, so there will be a lot of fabrication to strengthen it and box everything in. I would try cutting the car in half first and remove as I go. But it looks like you're picking up the suspension trailing arms, which would be the minimum unless you wanted to change the suspension system. What about taking the car from the B pillar back? That would be a lot less work since and if you replaced the glass with plastic, you'd reduce a lot of weight or you could just remove the roof altogether and flat-deck it by welding some bars to tie the B pillars together and to the rear structure. You'd get a lot more storage that way, too.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
Danny-G
Fourth Gear

Post by Danny-G »

I was planning on going flat-deck and I haven't totally decided where the cut would be made. The main reason I chose, in the picutre, in front of the trailing arms is then I could slope the front for a somewhat smooth look vs the normal flat front trailer. But I'm sure if I did cut at the B pillar I could still make the sloped front.
Danny
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

If you included the B-pillars, the rear doors could be welded shut and used as bed sides.
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
Originalcyn wrote:Apparently everyone hates Gabe.
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

It would be easier and give you more room. Aerodynamically, the slope won't do much of anything for you as it's all in the wake of the car, if that was your reasoning. Tapering the rear would be of better benefit, but then you might as well build something from scratch, so there's no real point in that. Not like the thing will be an Aptera either way.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
Danny-G
Fourth Gear

Post by Danny-G »

Now that ithink about it, including the B pillars would give me the option of keeping the left side of the rear seat as a place to sit and maybe have a bbq on the right side and a removable cover to replace the roof cause I plan on taking it off. I might go with B pillar back and working doors if I can make it structrally sound, if needed only the left rear can be the one to open but still I plan on the removable top/ cover, and probably a bbq in the right side :).
Danny
Apex3
Fourth Gear

Post by Apex3 »

This may be of some use to you
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh ... p?t=677043

Also take note of the bbq on page 4
Danny-G
Fourth Gear

Post by Danny-G »

Well I've decided when I do this I'm going to start at the B pillars for more room. I drew a rough overhead sketch of how I would like to lay the rear seat area out. Don't mind the gap next to the left rear seat, that will be the seat as well.
Danny
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

i say you just make a stretch legacy
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
prophet john
In Neutral

Post by prophet john »

cj91legss wrote:i say you just make a stretch legacy
be really interesting if you can pto power to it as well, 6wd anyone?
wonders how long the " I'm sorry officer, there was a deer around that corner, thats why i was sliding sideways, Honest" will work.