1990 Legacy L Wagon missing hatch handle

Anything and Everything about the Body, from paint to undercoating and interior, including in-car entertainment (ICE).

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

scottahicks
In Neutral

1990 Legacy L Wagon missing hatch handle

Post by scottahicks »

Just got my 1990 Legacy L Wagon today. I went to open the back hatch and ummmm no handle??? I am assuming it should be under the chrome strip above the licence plate right?

Anyway its not there and I dont know how to get the hatch open to even rig a pull cable up. Can anyone help me out here?
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 1990 Legacy L Wagon missing hatch handle

Post by Legacy777 »

Yeah the handle should be there. You can try looking up and see if the handle is there but the linkage may be disconnector, or see if the handle is completely gone.

Probably the only way you'll be able to get it open is to try and pull the plastic trim off the interior of the hatch to access the linkage mechanism so you can open the hatch.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
scottahicks
In Neutral

Post by scottahicks »

Ok so from what I have found there is no handle and the linkage is crappy at best. Someone jerry riged a peice of wire, but you have to wrinkle your nose, stand on one foot, cross your eyes, cross yor toes, pray, and if your lucky you might hit just the right spot and it will open just before you are about to give up.

On the upside I found a 1993 legacy at the junk yard today. Is the parts on the 93 the same as a 90? If so I could just gut the hatch on the 93 to fix mine.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

There were some exterior body changes, but the mechanical guts are probably the same. You can try looking at the parts book I posted in the stuff you need to know forum. You can look at that section for the rear hatch and see if the part #'s are the same or not.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

they should be the same
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Although it's getting old, they might also still have them at the dealer. I bought one years ago and I remember it being pretty cheap—approximately junk yard price. Don't let them sell you the reflector or the metal underneath the handle—you only need the plastic handle assembly, maybe the nylon bushing where the linkage goes in. There are two issues with the hatch—the plastic of the handle can get brittle and break at the hinge, linkage points and the other is the piece of metal it sits on top of is the cheapest metal they use on the car. I don't think it's galvanized.

Until you get the handle, once you have the hatch open, you can remove the inner tailgate panel and access the linkage much better and open it from the inside.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.