Model Interchageability Upgrades

Subaru-related topics that don't belong anywhere else...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

CFK
Second Gear

Model Interchageability Upgrades

Post by CFK »

Hi, I would like to start a thread with a complete list of parts in all categories that are a compatable upgrade for our first gen legacys.

That being said, Im a Subie Noob and could not make this happen. And after a quick search I was only able to find scaterred info, so a complete thread would be nice but obviously Im gonna need alot of help.

Or if this type of thread already exists please post a link.

ENGINE :

FORCED INDUCTION:

EXHAUST:

SUSPENTION:

DRIVETRAIN:

BRAKES:

INTERIOR:

* if modification is required a * will be noted.

Thanks.
Build Thread : HERE
92 SS 5MT. Project Daily
84 Jetta Coupe. Real Project
99 A4 Avant. Wife's Daily
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Model Interchageability Upgrades

Post by Legacy777 »

Are you interested in specific part #'s for certain parts or are you interested in something else?

I would say it would be a huge undertaking to try and do that.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
wtdash
Fifth Gear

Post by wtdash »

CFK wrote:Hi, I would like to start a thread with a complete list of parts in all categories that are a compatable upgrade for our first gen legacys.

That being said, Im a Subie Noob and could not make this happen. And after a quick search I was only able to find scaterred info, so a complete thread would be nice but obviously Im gonna need alot of help.

Or if this type of thread already exists please post a link.

Any all upgrades? Or just performance? e.g. the '96-99 Outback struts fit a Legacy and give a lift, which some may call an upgrade, others may not. Impreza RS/Forester 'S' models have a 4.11 and 4.44 VLSD on certain years.

JDM included? That makes it 10x more 'interesting'.

Something like this? Or is there a better format? Just a 'list' w/out comment, unless modification is required?

ENGINE : All EJ-series and most (all?) H6's will bolt right up. Turbo crossmember recommended (or notch the stock NA one) for Turbo apps.

FORCED INDUCTION: All turbos up to the VF39 version and TD04 will bolt in. The VF4x turbos depend on the model, as the Legacy and newer '08+ WRX have different setups, I believe. The STi VF43 should work as it's just an improved VF39. All turbos except the stock VF10/VF11 require modifications between the turbo and throttle body - be it via an top-mount intercooler (WRX '06-07 fit best) or other route. And most need a fabricated 90° into the turbo's compressor side, as only the early VF/TD-series had the 90, too.

EXHAUST: All WRX/STI/FXT-based up to year "xx" will fit if lengthened ~6" or so, but may need add. adjustments to fit perfectly. All Downpipes are interchangeable IF going on a manual car. Automatics may require some 'massaging' to fit. Headers/exhaust manifolds are interchangeable, but offer no advantage, unless you want the O2 bung and/or EGT bung (depends on model). Up Pipes are interchangeable too, but again offer no performance advantage and the WRX Up Pipes have a Cat in 'em, I believe.

SUSPENTION <sic>: Look @ the Sticky! Easy one I know: '90-91 had different REAR top hat bolt patterns, and running WRX/STi struts will cause 'saggy butt' syndrome - use spacers to remedy. Struts on WRX Wagons are different than WRX Sedans and will affect camber when installed on other Subies.

DRIVETRAIN: 5/6-speed swaps require watching out for the gotchas all dependent on year/make/model:
-Various ratios - 3.9, 4.11, 4.44, 3.54, ??
- Clutch type- push vs. pull; hydraulic (hydro) vs. cable
-

BRAKES: WRX from '02-0? calipers w/their brackets will fit Legacy. Sti '04 only. Went to different bolt pattern in '05 (5x114.3).

INTERIOR: WRX '02-'0? Front seats fit, but sit higher than the stock seats; Rear WRX sedan seats work too, but require......? Newer '95 - '0? Legacy seats bolt-up too.
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'90 BJ EJ22T/DOHC & 5speed swap - SOLD
'04 FXT, Forged internals, VF39, STI TMIC, Cobb AP- SOLD
'93 Legacy SS - 5-speed, SOLD :-(
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
Apex3
Fourth Gear

Post by Apex3 »

Subarus are legos, there's probably more parts that do swap as an upgrade than parts that don't.
CFK
Second Gear

Post by CFK »

Hi, sorry guys. Shouldn't have started this thread right before going to Cuba, wasn't thinking !!! :oops:

Wasn't looking for exact part #'s, but just a general list of parts that I might find at the local wrecker.
For example found a 99 Impreza RS at the wrecker with coilovers and seats. I heard that suspension and seats from a WRX would fit, so I figured why wouldn't an RS which was made in between the 2 fit. Since I wasn't positive I quickly ripped out the seats and tried to switch the brackets to the BC legacy and install them. But it didn't work out.

So it seems that the list that wtdash has written is definitely what im looking for.

For now I found a full set of seats from a 99 Legacy for $80 and just wanted to confirm that they fit :?:
I do have a Mig welder so if they do require some modification that would be fine. I would obviously prefer the more sporty WRX ones, but there just not in the budget right now.

Next I wanted a set of suspension that would hopefully lower and firm it up.
92 SS 5MT. Project Daily
wtdash
Fifth Gear

Post by wtdash »

CFK wrote:Since I wasn't positive I quickly ripped out the seats and tried to switch the brackets to the BC legacy and install them. But it didn't work out.
Those RS seats should've fit 'as is' (no 'bracket' swapping required) in the Legacy - WRX seats do. You'll sit higher, but if they have a height adjustment, I'd think it'd be acceptable.

Td
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'90 BJ EJ22T/DOHC & 5speed swap - SOLD
'04 FXT, Forged internals, VF39, STI TMIC, Cobb AP- SOLD
'93 Legacy SS - 5-speed, SOLD :-(
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
n2x4
Fourth Gear

Post by n2x4 »

This thread should be about parts that don't fit. There are so many things that will swap over it's not funny.
SUBARUEHS Racing
CFK
Second Gear

Post by CFK »

Alright, well it seems that an extensive list would be quite difficult then. Sounds like the majority of things swap over. I guess if I do find some things at a wrecker I will have to just double check to see if they fit.

That is weird that the RS seats didn't work. There were 4 mechanically inclined people looking at them and I vaguely remember the rails being to narrow to fit into the Legacy. Oh well they had been sitting in the rain for a bit anyway and the rear ones were mouldy. $80 for the set of legacy ones and i'll just wait for some cheaper WRX ones to pop up.

Suspension can wait as well and since it is a 92 I guess I wouldn't have to worry about the reverse rake situation. So i'll just keep my eye out for some WRX/STI stock springs and struts.

Do they keep the car at the same ride height or lower it at all ?
92 SS 5MT. Project Daily