Need new rotors and brakes

Where the power meets the road.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Shaggy
First Gear

Need new rotors and brakes

Post by Shaggy »

So when I got my car aligned the dealership told me that my brakes up front were metal on metal and I'm gonna need new rotors and pads. I'm thinkin about goin with an upgrade like wrx rotors but I'm not sure if that's a possibility. I want to stick with my stock 14 steelies because I'm gonna put some bf goodrich at's on them, but I'm also going to get some 16'' wrx wagon rims for $20 a piece from a friend ( not sure what year they are, I think 05 but might be earlier than that) and I plan on sticking some blizzak ws70's on them. Anyways what does it take to put wrx rotors on my car or will they not even work? Is there any other upgrades I can do or should I just stick with a stock set up? My car is a 90 L awd m/t with no abs. Any help or input or opinions would be appreciated. I would like to upgrade at least a little but if I can't it's not the end of the world
90 2.2 N/A legacy awd wagon with outback struts.
bmxkelowna
Fourth Gear

Re: Need new rotors and brakes

Post by bmxkelowna »

unfortunately there are no brake upgrades that will fit under your stock 14" wheels.
your only option is to find some good pads (hps, hp+, ect) that fit your stock brakes.
93Leg-c
Fourth Gear

Post by 93Leg-c »

Shaggy, '02-'05 wrx front brakes are a bolt-on. You may be able to find a good used set (rotors, calipers, brackets, pads, backing plates) on NASIOC, here on Legacy Central, your local Craigslist, or other Subaru forums for $150-250. But as bmxkelowna posted, the 14" wheels will not fit over the wrx brakes, but, of course, the 16" wheels will. The 16" wheels will give you better handling and most will probably say that they look better. However, the 14" wheels will give you slightly better acceleration but most who have switched to the 16" wheels more than gladly accept the trade-off.

Good traction tires along with good biting pads will give you the best possibly stopping for whatever size brakes and wheels you will be using. Stainless steel brake lines may add a better "solid" feel and fresh brake fluid is recommended too.
'94 TW
Danny-G
Fourth Gear

Post by Danny-G »

Personally I would put the snow tires on the steelies cause the wrx alloys are gonna be lighter and they, in my opinion, look better. Probably, wheel wise the best thing to do is look for 15" or 16" steelies for snow tires and the wrx alloys for the rest of the year. Your only option if your planning on keeping the 14"s then the only option is pads and maybe better discs, if there are any.
Danny
biggreen96 wrote:well get out there and smash that geo around and get comfy.
1993 Legacy LS Awd: lifted, 4eat, higher mileage, and dirty.
1994 Legacy Turbo wagon: rwd, 4eat, and a faint knock..
1992 Legacy postal: bone stock, 4eat, blown reverse.
Shaggy
First Gear

Post by Shaggy »

Well I guess I'm gonna stick with stock rotors and get some good pads. Where would be the best place to get these? Also I'm gonna get the bf goodrich at ko's for my car cuz I plan on doin some 4 wheeling and I didn't want to have to cut or roll fenders and I plan on getting their 195/75/14's so I didn't have to do so. And I was gonna pic up those other rims for my car because they would look better and they are a good deal in my opinion. I was thinking about going with the blizzak tires because they look aggressive and I figured they wouldn't be a bad choice for all season tires even tho they are snow tires. The size bf goodrich tires I plan on buying aren't rated for severe snow so I planned on mainly using those for when I just want to go wheeling and using the others for the rest of the time. Keep the opinions rolling in because like I said any input is greatly appreciated and I will be considering all of the input.
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Stock cryo rotors and some performance pads. Unless you're doing track days or regularly hauling down fast from over 100 mph, they'll work great and the rotors are almost guaranteed to outlast the car. WRX brakes on the front upset the bias. Mine lock up the front easily now, which means upgrading the rear brakes to rebalance. Not worth it, IMO, especially as I don't drive so fast anymore. The only real advantage I found is fade resistance, which I only noticed when ramming down from over 100, especially on steep descents, like when I drove cross country.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
Shaggy
First Gear

Post by Shaggy »

I don't want to go too expensive right now cuz I'm trying to get into a new house, but I don't want to buy ghetto shit. Where would I be able to find stock cryo rotors and what pads would u recommend. So far I'm thinkin about goin with the hps pads, I don't race my car around cuz it's an n/a but like I said I don't want ghetto crap. Where would u guys go about luging ur stuff from? Thanks for the help guys
Shaggy
First Gear

Post by Shaggy »

So I found hawk pads for $75 for the front and brembo rotors for $35 each new unopened on eBay. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna go for these unless I can find a better deal that someone else knows about somewhere else. I realy need new rotors and pads on the front as they are metal to metal. Now don't everyone else go nabbin these up cuz I realy need em, but there are more than just what i need if others need em. Should I go for em?