Turbo resonator delete

That spinning thing that makes all of the cool noises. OE and Aftermarket.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Elcapitan
First Gear

Turbo resonator delete

Post by Elcapitan »

Hi guys,

New here but I have a quick q. Where can I find a detailed how-to of the resonator delete. I have browsed and searched but it just comes up as a btw on snorkusectomy threads. I dont want to remove my snorkus coz of associated problems with the MAF. Thank you guys in advance
MY 91 legacy RS (Erin)
gijonas
Fourth Gear

Re: Turbo resonator delete

Post by gijonas »

Im pretty sure that if you are maintaining a relatively stock setup - either modification has its drawbacks concerning MAF readings.Subaru didn't just concoct an elaborate modular molded part for laughs.
94SS.Wiseco forged pistons,TD04,TMIC,WALBRO 225,440's,3" all the way,revtronix stage 2,enough other crap to fill the internet.

THE TRIBUTE BUILD>>>LINKY LINK>>> http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?p=295455#295455
Elcapitan
First Gear

Post by Elcapitan »

gijonas wrote:Im pretty sure that if you are maintaining a relatively stock setup - either modification has its drawbacks concerning MAF readings.Subaru didn't just concoct an elaborate modular molded part for laughs.
Well there probably would be draw backs with the MAF readings but from what I have read, removing anything pre MAF tends to affect its (the MAF) lifespan. Also if the resonator is meant to reduce turbo noise on a stock setup and I want more turbo noise, why would that affect readings? Still new to this so forgive me if my questions seem dumb..
MY 91 legacy RS (Erin)
jefferson
Third Gear

Post by jefferson »

If you have a turbo there is no downside to removing the snorkus or the resonator box. Both are highly recommended. I believe the na cars run into issues. The na cars also don't have the resonator box.

Jeff
91 Black SS 5spd. Edm lights, wrx gauges in dash, 45 degree airbox, cryoed drilled and slotted brakes. Invidia divorced downpipe with custom stainless exhaust. To be installed, aluminum a-arms, manual belts, awic.
Elcapitan
First Gear

Post by Elcapitan »

jefferson wrote:If you have a turbo there is no downside to removing the snorkus or the resonator box. Both are highly recommended. I believe the na cars run into issues. The na cars also don't have the resonator box.

Jeff
Great! Only problem is that now I'm back to the original question which was where to find a how -to resonator delete. Anyone have a link to a good thread?
MY 91 legacy RS (Erin)
Vandal_RS
In Neutral

Post by Vandal_RS »

I did it when I was changing the passenger side axle. So remove the passenger side wheel to start with, and I believe I had to remove the passenger side inner fender. You should be able to see a plastic piece that resembles a milk jug held on with a few bolts. It will be obvious how to remove it. I am sorry, that's not very detailed, this is all from memory.

Why is it anytime a question is asked about messing with the intake someone feels it is necessary to point out how much time the engineers spent designing the factory piece. I find it interesting that no one has a problem with a modified exhaust, but I guarantee the engineers spent just as much time on that piece. Not to mention the turbo, injectors, springs, struts, wheel widths and offsets, and all the other parts we love to modify. The main concern engineers designing our intake system had was packaging and NVH, not horsepower or efficiency. I am not saying a short ram or cone filter is always the right move, and I don't believe it is on our cars or any Subaru I have dealt with, but there are definitely improvements to be made to the system.
Last edited by Vandal_RS on Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
92 Legacy Sport
00 Impreza 2.5RS
Subiel94
Second Gear

Post by Subiel94 »

hahah that is very true. ^^^^
gijonas
Fourth Gear

Post by gijonas »

Why is it anytime a question is asked about messing with the intake someone feels it is necessary to point out how much time the engineers spent designing the factory piece. I find it interesting that no one has a problem with a modified exhaust, but I guarantee the engineers spent just as much time on that piece. Not to mention the turbo, injectors, springs, struts, wheel widths and offsets, and all the other parts we love to modify. The main concern engineers designing our intake system had was packaging and NVH, not horsepower or efficiency. I am not saying a short ram or cone filter is always the right move, and I don't believe it is on our cars or any Subaru I have dealt with, but there are definitely improvements to be made to the system.
Im pretty sure that if you are maintaining a relatively stock setup
94SS.Wiseco forged pistons,TD04,TMIC,WALBRO 225,440's,3" all the way,revtronix stage 2,enough other crap to fill the internet.

THE TRIBUTE BUILD>>>LINKY LINK>>> http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?p=295455#295455
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Search for coffee in the intake forum. Here's a thread which may have some more details

http://www.bbs.legacycentral.org/viewto ... Acoffee%2A
http://www.bbs.legacycentral.org/viewto ... Acoffee%2A
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Elcapitan
First Gear

Post by Elcapitan »

I thought its just something you remove from the car? Its the same as the coffee cup modd or is it the coffee cup mod? Sorry I'm a bit confused :(
MY 91 legacy RS (Erin)
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

There is a snorkel resonator in the fender which can be removed. The coffee cup mod I mentioned is in regards to the resonator in the engine bay between the MAF & turbo.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Apex3
Fourth Gear

Post by Apex3 »

I'd recommend getting an exhaust shop to do it, I had mine made for $15, though I wouldn't expect that, the place was awesome and gave great deals. If you can't weld then a DIY piece is gonna leak, or it's going to after not long, and if it doesn't it's going to be ghetto anyway.
Elcapitan
First Gear

Post by Elcapitan »

Yea, Ill let the idea simmer in my head for a while as i gain practical experience with my baby.. I' might attempt it early next year or have a professional do it for me. Thank for the quick replies guys.
MY 91 legacy RS (Erin)
93Leg-c
Fourth Gear

Post by 93Leg-c »

Regarding modifying the snorkus (the intake before the air filter box that sits in the fender) on our turbo Legacies, you may enjoy this article: http://autospeed.com/cms/A_1605/article.html
'94 TW
Mattheww044
Fourth Gear

Post by Mattheww044 »

The coffee cup mod is something that has to be custom made. There are no companies that make replacements to my knowledge, although I have heard of some made for other Subarus that you might be able to make work. Basically what you have to do is get all of the measurements from the box that you are deleting. I don't recall any of the measurements off the top of my head from when I made mine, but I replaced it with a custom welded one I bought from a fellow member. Basically you just need a pipe of the right length that fits in both sides (elbow for turbo, and elbow for intake) and they are not the same size. From there just weld or JB weld or epoxy (whatever works best for whatever kind of material you are using) extensions to go to the stock boost control solenoid, purge canister, and Idle air control valve. It is a pain to make and you won't notice EXTREME differences.