Removing shifter linkage, help!

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Vandal_RS
In Neutral

Removing shifter linkage, help!

Post by Vandal_RS »

I am trying to remove the shifter linkage for my 92 SS. At the last rallycross, the bushings the connect the linkage to the shift fork (on the trans) completely disappeared. I got it home with creative use of zip ties, but now I am trying to replace the bushings and I can't get the spring pin out of shifter fork. I have pounded and pounded. Do I have to come from the top, and if so, how in the hell do you do that with out dropping the trans?

That is a vague description, but I hope anyone who has replaced linkage or bushings in the shifter assembly will know what I am talking about.
92 Legacy Sport
00 Impreza 2.5RS
BSOD2600
Fourth Gear

Re: Removing shifter linkage, help!

Post by BSOD2600 »

Best if you get the correct notched punch tool (forget the exact name). I tried getting mine out with out one and it was a bitch and took forever.

'11 WRX Limited
'94 SS | 3" TBE, 07 TMIC, TD05H-16G, Revtronix Stage 2, Walbro -- Sold
'94 TW | R.I.P.
kleinkid
Fourth Gear

Post by kleinkid »

Just did this yesterday. I put a jack under the transmission to support it, and removed the three support cross members, front, center, and rear. Also removed the tranny mount because I had a new one to put on. This gave more room to swing the hammer without hitting any living thing. You are probably aware that there is two pins in there. One inside the other. Drive the inside one out first then the larger dia. one.
n2x4
Fourth Gear

Post by n2x4 »

Spray those pins with PB Blaster - it will really help to loosen them up. Then as mentioned pound out the inside pin first. Once enough of the pin is sticking out, grab it with a good pliers and spin it around to help work it loose. They're a pain, but they do come out.

I've gotten the pins out from the top and bottom before, either way will work eventually.
SUBARUEHS Racing
ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

On my 5spd that link was pretty rotted to the rod. So what I did luckily I did this before I installed the tranny so it was easy not sure what it would be like in the car, but I notched where the pin was so I could use a flat head screw driver and open it up and easily slide it off the rod.
1993 Subaru Legacy L AWD Wagon R.I.P
1994 Subaru Legacy SS R.I.P :(
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
2007 Subaru Legacy GT :)
BSOD2600
Fourth Gear

Post by BSOD2600 »

ah-HA! remembered the name. You want to get a roll pin punch. Trust me. Makes it sooo much easier to remove.

'11 WRX Limited
'94 SS | 3" TBE, 07 TMIC, TD05H-16G, Revtronix Stage 2, Walbro -- Sold
'94 TW | R.I.P.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

As it was mentioned, there are two different roll pins. You need to get the inner one out first before getting the outer one out. A good long set of punches will help immensely
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Vandal_RS
In Neutral

Post by Vandal_RS »

I was NOT aware that two pins were in there. I finally figure it out, and was able to get them removed. What a pain. Thanks for all the responses!
92 Legacy Sport
00 Impreza 2.5RS