heater core issues

Anything and Everything about the Body, from paint to undercoating and interior, including in-car entertainment (ICE).

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

SSmadness
In Neutral

heater core issues

Post by SSmadness »

My 93 SS is acting up,again. this time its the heater core.how hard is it to replace and /or new parts? I got a heater box out of a forester because all I need is the core ? If ive posted in the wrong spot,sorry.any help would be awesome.
93 SS Winestone- PE 1820,rotated.UEL headers,catless uppipe, 3" bellmouth DP,custom intake,17'' Roto Torques,JIC coilovers
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: heater core issues

Post by Legacy777 »

To replace the heater core you've got to take out the entire dash. It's not a fun job at all. I don't have any direct experience with replacing one, but I know some other members have, and they may be able to give you some tips.

Regarding using the forester heater core, I'm not sure they're going to be a direct swap.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
bry
First Gear

Post by bry »

be sure to put the dash screws and clips in multiple baggies, labeled by location. this will make your repair MUCH faster and you shouldn't have any mystery screws left over. i had about 16 different baggies when changing my 300zx heatercore. most difficult core i had ever changed. hopefully the subie is a bit easier....
Darkseb
In Neutral

Post by Darkseb »

very funny to do.... you have only one choice for the heater core:89-94 legacy and in my case, jobber heater core won't fit so OEM FTW !!!
SS 91,94,GC V7 on the way...(subaru toys),GTI 92,TDi 00,Audi 200 turbo quattro(german toys),Dodge Dakota 00(for sale)R6 00(2 wheels bomb...)
beanis05
First Gear

Post by beanis05 »

Dash is not that bad to take out. Make sure you drop the steering column before pulling it out. There is going to be a lot of screws so make sure you know where they go I had to do this to weld some thing on the firewall. Wasnt the easiest thing to do in the middle of winter but thats because I wasnt working in a garage.
1990 Subaru Legacy L 89k auto to 5 speed winter daily driver
2004 Subaru WRX 80k
1988 Mazda Rx7 vert > Turbo 2 trans swap
1993 Honda Civic Vx Gutted