Read this before installing an aftermarket header.

Headlights to tailights and everything in between.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

93legacylsleeper
Second Gear

Read this before installing an aftermarket header.

Post by 93legacylsleeper »

So i was driving along today and my car completely died on the highway. The check engine light did not come on and I pulled over. The car will turn over but not start and the E/G IGN SRS airbag fuse keeps breaking. I replaced the fuse and got the car to start and dive once but only for about 30 feet. I know a wire is obviously shorting out because every time i turn the key to the on position the fuse breaks. Any ideas for where to start looking??? Has anyone encountered this before??? Thanks in advance for any Info...
Last edited by 93legacylsleeper on Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
ericem
Fifth Gear

Re: Need HELP ASAP!!!!!

Post by ericem »

Have anything aftermarket like a alarm?? Make sure nothing is tied into that circuit.
1993 Subaru Legacy L AWD Wagon R.I.P
1994 Subaru Legacy SS R.I.P :(
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
2007 Subaru Legacy GT :)
93legacylsleeper
Second Gear

No alarm. The fuse controls the check engine light. If I replace the fuse and turn the key on it breaks the fuse and the car will not start. This is a total bummer cause my baby is sitting in a random parking lot on the shit side of town...Nightmare.
asotwavb
First Gear

Post by asotwavb »

If you own a DVOM or similar you can start by doing voltage drops on the circuit you beilive is shorting out
1992 Legacy Sport
93legacylsleeper
Second Gear

Unfortunatly I dont own anything like that. To be honest I wouldn't know how to use it if I did. Still trying to think of what it could be....The fuse is related to the check engine light for sure, if the fuse is out the CEL won't even come on. The car will crank and everything just not fire. :cry: :( :cry:
SubyFusion
Second Gear

Post by SubyFusion »

Put foil across the fuse bottom and drive the car home!
1992 Legacy L (AWD )(5MT)[2.5RS Trans] EJ22T Swap in Progress
93legacylsleeper
Second Gear

Wait... how do I do this? Put foil around the contacts for the fuse?
SubyFusion
Second Gear

Post by SubyFusion »

Ya just wrap it around the bottom contacts, and see if you can at least make it home, to do some diagnostics lol
1992 Legacy L (AWD )(5MT)[2.5RS Trans] EJ22T Swap in Progress
asotwavb
First Gear

Post by asotwavb »

Careful with that though....fuses usually blow for a reason.... :!:
1992 Legacy Sport
93legacylsleeper
Second Gear

Is this safe? Won't this cause wherever I'm getting a short to get worse? I just don't want this car to burn down its my baby...
93legacylsleeper
Second Gear

Yeah I think I'm just gonna try to get it towed and take things from there I was just trying to avoid the $175 tow charge... I wish I could just figure out whats causing this... Im guessing its a wire that must have shorted out on my exhaust or something. I Just got done re-installing my aftermarket Header, Up-pipe, down pipe, TD04 and TMIC. I had the MBC set to 11 PSI... :/
magicmike
Fifth Gear

Post by magicmike »

93legacylsleeper wrote:Yeah I think I'm just gonna try to get it towed and take things from there I was just trying to avoid the $175 tow charge... I wish I could just figure out whats causing this... Im guessing its a wire that must have shorted out on my exhaust or something. I Just got done re-installing my aftermarket Header, Up-pipe, down pipe, TD04 and TMIC. I had the MBC set to 11 PSI... :/
There is a harness that runs very close to aftermarket headers. its on the front passenger side just behind the radiator on the very bottom. Mine looked to be a little melted from when I had my aftermarket header on. Also, put your stock header back on if you want any torque at all.
-Mike

2011 Infiniti G37x Sedan - Current
2007 Ducati 800ss - Current
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (White)
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (Silver)
2003 Infiniri G35
1998 Infiniti I30t
1995 Honda Civic DX
1987 Subaru GL Wagon
1987 Subaru Loyale
93legacylsleeper
Second Gear

Yeah thats exactly what happened. The wire that connects the fans grounded on my header. I actually added a bunch of other stuff but i really like the top end difference. I see what your saying about the torque though. Would just the header make a big difference? It definitely sounds a lot more mean!!
magicmike
Fifth Gear

Post by magicmike »

Damn I'm good. Seriously come on give me some props people. diagnosing a melted wire from 3000 miles away! ok I'm impressed at least :)

And yes, after having an after market header on for a couple of years and then going back to stock (when the header broke) I noticed a difference right away. Also, many say to never install aftermarket header in the first place.
-Mike

2003 Infiniri G35
1998 Infiniti I30t
1995 Honda Civic DX
1987 Subaru GL Wagon
1987 Subaru Loyale
ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

Your the man Mike!
1993 Subaru Legacy L AWD Wagon R.I.P
1994 Subaru Legacy SS R.I.P :(
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
2007 Subaru Legacy GT :)
93legacylsleeper
Second Gear

Yeah Props for sure...Ok so I fixed the wire that melted but the E/G IGN fuse under the dash still pops every time I turn the key to the on position... Usually I have to wiggle my key in the ignition while trying to start it. Could it be the ignition where the key plugs in be shorting out??? Should i just replace the whole relay? Is there any way to test this? This is a total bummer as this is my DD. Thanks for all the help guys I really appreciate it!
magicmike
Fifth Gear

Post by magicmike »

A blown fuse is usually only caused by a direct short to ground. I'd trace every circuit that is on that fuse by looking at the schematic. I doubt its a relay and I don.t recall ever seeing a faulty key cylinder blowing fuses. Did you see if maybe more than one wire got melted on that harness? Maybe a couple of wires got melted together?
-Mike

2003 Infiniri G35
1998 Infiniti I30t
1995 Honda Civic DX
1987 Subaru GL Wagon
1987 Subaru Loyale
93legacylsleeper
Second Gear

Cool well it looks like I found it, A couple of the wires going to the coil had some copper showing... They're were some other connectors in the same bundle from the harness. I re-wrapped everything in electrical tape individually and then all together and it seems like the problem could be fixed. The only issue now is that only my drivers side fan turns on. Is this fan sufficient for cooling needs? I've read that the smaller fan is for when the A/C is run which I never use. Once again Props to Mike... :mrgreen:
Last edited by 93legacylsleeper on Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Did both fans come on at the same time before?

They should. There's a little connector near/below the passenger headlight. It's called the sub-fan short connector and is used to tie the main fan to the a/c fan and have both on at the same time. See if you can find that connector. It's supposed to be "jumpered"
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
93legacylsleeper
Second Gear

Yeah both fans used to come on at the same time. Either way only one fan comes on now and the temp has never been too hot on the gauge. I still have to check for the connection your talking about. I also switched back to a stock WRX exhaust manifold and MagicMike Was Correct again. The Stock Exhaust manifold is WAY better than the Aftermarket UEL header. Plus it is no where near the wiring anymore. BIG plus. So between this and the Group-N engine mounts I just installed I'm pretty happy with the car again. Seems like the electrical problem is gone.