Securing Ethernet Cable To Roof/Hiding It

This is for non-Subaru related topics. Keep it realistic please.

Moderator: Moderators

kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Securing Ethernet Cable To Roof/Hiding It

Post by kimokalihi »

I ran an ethernet cable out the window of the upstairs in my GF's parent's house and down the roof to the gutter. From the gutter it runs across and down the drain pipe and then underground to the recroom where I reside. It looks like shit draping down the roof and I know if probably bothers them (at least her dad) and I want to clean it up. I was thinking paint it black to blend in and stapling it to the roof so it's not just flapping around. Make it look professional. It's white right now so it sticks out like a sore thumb.

What's the proper method for attaching a wire/cable to a roof (shingles)? Will staples cause the roof to leak?

Also anybody know if there's a good way to run a cable through a window and close the window on the cable without damaging it? For now I just cut the jacket off the ethernet cable to make it slimmer and then close the window on the wires. I noticed this was quite a tight squeeze and if someone shuts it quickly without knowing about the cable it will break the wires and I'll be without internet (AKA without life). I would like to just drill a hole through the wall and install an ethernet female panel and run the cable off that straight out the wall on the outside but they don't want holes drilled in their wall.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Re: Securing Ethernet Cable To Roof/Hiding It

Post by evolutionmovement »

Can you run it along under the roof overhang? You could use those nail on cable hooks, maybe tack it right under where the shingles go over or along the top of a gutter secured with zip ties. As for the window, on the older ones, you can get a length of rubber stripping and fix it to the underside of the window so that it seals and isn't likely to damage the cable when closed. On newer windows that fit into a pocket on the sill, I don't know. I guess you could put a piece of wood to fill the pocket and do the same thing with the weatherstripping. Also keep in mind that you don't want to run more than 300 feet. Do you have cable anywhere closer that you could set up the router?

I can't wait until/if there's a universal multimedia standard connection. When everything goes IP, I'm hoping that will happen.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

No, it's gotta go down the roof to get to the gutter. No matter which direction I go with it. From there it's laying inside the gutter which is fine. It's 100ft cable I think.

We don't get cable here. Stupid comcast won't install on this street.

I'm pretty stoked about this setup though. Now I have my PS3 and my PC hardwired to the router that's not in my room allowing me to stream video from my PC straight to my PS3 which is connected to my TV and watch all the movies and shows I want. When I built this PC I could no longer hook it up to my old TV because it only takes analog video inputs and this video card doesn't have S-video output. It's only got HDMI and display port. For the last year I've been copying movies on a flash card and then putting that in my PS3 to watch them on the TV. No more! Instant access with the PC using Windows 7 Media Center. Woot Woot! I love windows 7.
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
Shaggy
First Gear

Post by Shaggy »

Dont staple it to the roof. That will cause the room to leak forsure, u can take my word for it im a roofer. I second the weather striping and when u do that put some electrical tape on the spot were u cut the cover off the wire so water or moisture cant get in the cable. I dont know what the roof looks like but u could run the wire under the ridge(the shingles caping the top of the roof) then down the wall on the side of the house or if u there is ridge going dow the rake(the edge/side of the roof) u could the go from the top of the ridge to the ridge running down the rake then down the corner of the house. If there isnt ridge on the rake then u can just tack it along the rake on the facia( i believe thats how u spell it). If u cant tuck the cable under the ridge u can pop it up on one side then tuck the cable under it then just re nail it down with some little comp nails. Be carefull if the shingles are old the u can crack and brake the ridge so be gentle with it.
90 2.2 N/A legacy awd wagon with outback struts.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

As for going through the window. I'd drill a small hole into the siding of the house (not the window) to run the cable through. Just make sure to silicone the poo out of the hole to keep it sealed up.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I think drilling holes it out of the question unfotunately. I don't think I got my point across as to what the problem is. I've been meaning to take a picture of it so it can clearly be seen what I'm talking about but I never seem to wake up before the sun goes down. I don't like the fact that it's loosely running straight down the roof (on the shingles) and it looks like ass. I'm not worried about the gutter part, that's taken care of and out of sight.
Shaggy
First Gear

Post by Shaggy »

The only way that ur going to keep it were u have it and staple it to the roof is if u silicone the staes or nails after u put them in. Still not a good idea cuz silicone wears out really quick on roofs so u will be redoing it every year. The best way to doit would be the way i said in my previous post.
90 2.2 N/A legacy awd wagon with outback struts.