Car wont start

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

1-3-2-4
Second Gear

Car wont start

Post by 1-3-2-4 »

To make a long story short I ran out last night to do a few things I was on empty but I was going to get gas before I got back on the highway so I stopped at Home Depot. everything was fine before getting to the store AKA waiting at lights and so on..

So fast forward 10 min later I come out and go to leave and my car sputters and tires to run but dies.. I try 5 more times and after the 5th time no more sputter it would just crank and no sputter..

SO...

After a long stressful 10 F night I got AAA to get a tow truck and I looked at the car this morning I connected the green connections under the dash and I hear the fuel relay clicking and I get 12 V to the pump connection in the hear but I hear no pump sound in the tank. And this is with me with the cover off and my ear over the tank assembly.

I have not checked for pump output at the fuel filter under the hood but I guess if I hear no pump it's pointless to see if any fuel comes out?

btw the car is a 1995 Legacy Wagon.
wtdash
Fifth Gear

Re: Car wont start

Post by wtdash »

I'm not following the 'chain of events' for sure, but if you were near empty (was the Low Fuel light on??) and tried 5 times to start it, it may have burned out the pump...

It's easier to check for fuel output, then to replace the pump, IMHO. But if you're not hearing the pump 'prime' when
turning on the key, then you've likely found the issue.

Post this over on the USMB and you'll get more attention, as they deal w/the '95+ Subies, too.

GL,
TD
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'90 BJ EJ22T/DOHC & 5speed swap - SOLD
'04 FXT, Forged internals, VF39, STI TMIC, Cobb AP- SOLD
'93 Legacy SS - 5-speed, SOLD :-(
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
1-3-2-4
Second Gear

Post by 1-3-2-4 »

I haven't seen my low fuel light come on in awhile.. I think the bulb may of went out..

but I took the whole assembly inside and gave it 12V to the pump and nothing... I waited 30 min later and tried again and the pump worked...

maybe frozen? I have no clue but i'm not going to risk it so I ordered a bosch fuel pump to replace it with.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Did you get your new fuel pump yet?

Were you very low on fuel when looking in the tank? There may have been water in the bottom of the tank.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
1-3-2-4
Second Gear

Post by 1-3-2-4 »

No not low and yes I got new pump. And long story short wjen I took the old one inside still did not worl till 30 min latr