How many motor mounts do we have?

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

How many motor mounts do we have?

Post by entirelyturbo »

I can see two on the crossmember, but I was wondering if maybe there's one I missed...

Anyway, I plan to replace them since my engine idle seems smooth on the tach but the car still shakes occasionally, and I hear clunking sometimes, and the engine seems to move in the engine bay more than other cars I've seen...

Also, is it possible that bad motor mounts allowing the engine to jerk around a bit, could that trip the knock sensor? I think I've narrowed my hesitation down to that little SOB...
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
boostjunkie
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by boostjunkie »

Not sure about the engine movement causing the hesitation but there are two engine mounts below the engine and a pitch-stop mount that goes from the back of the engine (underneath the throttle body) to the firewall.
[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/On_the_Lawn.jpg]1991 Legacy Turbo (RIP)[/url]

[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/Summer_Car_Wash3.jpg]2000 Celica GT-S[/url]
mile hi
First Gear

Post by mile hi »

If the mounts were real bad I suppose the engine could get hit by something and trip the knock sensor. STI mounts are available they are quite a bit harder. I have the STI mount for the transmission and it does hold things pretty steady.
AL(CO)
vypa
First Gear

Post by vypa »

i got a cracked motor mount here too.... thinkin about gettin some STI motor/tranny mounts... but yea i only know of the two engine mounts.... hadnt even noticed the pitch stop mount tho.... i would assume that u have a broken motor mount if its idling smooth on the tac but is shaking alot cuz thas the same thing i get
Brian
http://vypa.homestead.com/index.html
totech
Second Gear

Post by totech »

Looks a little like a dog bone!! :D
08 GE - SWP
96 BG - SGP
96 CX - EBP
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

Now don't these STi mounts put more stress on clutch, tranny, axles, etc.? I would think logically since the mounts are absorbing less energy, that the drivetrain would have to make up for that...

And has anybody done it? I have the basic idea, lift the engine, and switch out the mounts, but does anybody have any special tips or any tools I need?

As you can tell I've never done motor mounts before :oops: ...

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

Well, upon inspection of this pitch-stop mount (finally got around to it), it is not even bolted to the engine! It's in the right spot and the holes are lined up and everything, but there's no bolt in there! Those @#$%^ people that did my clutch!

It's Saturday, and I don't really feel like thinking :oops: , does that mount prevent fore-aft motion or side-to-side motion?

*Formerly DerFahrer*

magicmike
Fifth Gear

Post by magicmike »

well the stop pitch thing isn't bolted to the motor at all its bolted to the tranny. leave that bolt out for now since you will need to jack up the motor to put in new mounts. plan on jacking it up 2 to 3 inches. its not so simple as slipping in the new mounts. there are the bolts that need the extra room also. I had a very hard time pulling my motor because of this reason.

Good Luck,

Mike
-Mike

2011 Infiniti G37x Sedan - Current
2007 Ducati 800ss - Current
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (White)
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (Silver)
2003 Infiniri G35
1998 Infiniti I30t
1995 Honda Civic DX
1987 Subaru GL Wagon
1987 Subaru Loyale
kelley
Vendor
Vendor

Post by kelley »

I wouldn't worry too much about the pitch stop mounts. the scca pro rally cars don't use them. so it can't be too important.
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

:evil: OUCH!!! :evil:

$330 for new motor mounts, all 3, and that's wholesale! Hope my Valentine's date doesn't mind Mickey D's!

Of course I had to special order them... God forbid the dealer carry parts for a 91 Legacy, so I don't even have the stupid things yet.

*Formerly DerFahrer*

ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

? I havnt payed close attention but I swore the STI mounts for all the other models also applied to our cars, and those can be had cheap/
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Motor mounts are motor mounts......ones for the legacy will fit in the impreza and vice-versa.......

I think you are being swindled my friend..... $330 is a gouging.......and what is this third mount??
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

The third is the dogbone tranny mount, and I checked prices for Toyota motor mounts, they're just as bad...

I paid (all prices ~)$110 for left, $130 for right, $75 for dogbone, that's wholesale, saved total of $57 off list...

*Formerly DerFahrer*

entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

STUPID DESIGN!!!

Post by entirelyturbo »

Well, I tried to replace them today, and have run into a very irritating and unnecessary problem: I got the motor up oh so close to being high enough for the mount bolts to clear the crossmember, and then the motor stopped moving, I just started jacking the whole front end of the car up. Okay, something's hitting something, my genius intellect told me. I looked all around, all hoses, pipes, etc. etc., were clearing, had plenty of slack, so what could it be? I looked underneath at the bolts again... I was so freakin close!!! Then, out of the corner of my eye, I found it: The @#$%^& exhaust manifolds were hitting the crossmember! :x :evil: ! So I said "forget it, I don't have time today", and put the nuts back on...

So now I have to take probably a good chunk of Sunday and find a way to loosen the exhaust manifolds. Yeah, those are coming loose with a socket wrench, sure...

What moron designed this? This has absolutely no purpose, there is no reason why they couldn't have cut curves into the crossmember for this procedure or changed the positioning of the exhaust manifolds, Stupid, stupid, stupid!

*Formerly DerFahrer*

boostjunkie
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by boostjunkie »

It's all part of the automotive seller's plans . . .

That's so the dealer can charge you out the wazoo to replace something . . . difficulty is ENGINEERED in so that the average person will quit after seeing something like this and take it to the dealer . . .

DON'T GIVE UP, FIGHT THE POWER!! :roll:

Okay, this post is stupid, but I'm sure some of it is at least partially true . .. :roll:
[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/On_the_Lawn.jpg]1991 Legacy Turbo (RIP)[/url]

[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/Summer_Car_Wash3.jpg]2000 Celica GT-S[/url]
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

No it's not stupid, I agree with you completely...

HELL if I'm gonna pay someone else for something I have the capability to do for free...

Besides, why am I on this forum anyway? Aren't I an enthusiast ? I want to do stuff like this myself, I get some sick pleasure out of skinning my knuckles on hot metal, getting all dirty and sweaty, and getting satisfaction of doing it myself, being proud of a job well done...

*Formerly DerFahrer*

-K-
Third Gear

Post by -K- »

Subarus arn't bad to work on at all! There are a lot of cars that are just a pain in the ass to do anything on.
02 WRX Sedan, 5mt
93 Sport Sedan, 5mt
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

I know that... heck, I honestly have never seen a (modern) car that's easier to work on! I'm just pissed at the sheer lack of necessity of this problem. I understand that motor mounts aren't a picnic, but when a stupid design flaw makes it worse, that's what really irks me...

*Formerly DerFahrer*

entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

Well, I did my mounts today, and guess what? The exhaust manifolds DO come off with a socket wrench (and a long pipe for more leverage). With that out of the way, the rest of it is a pretty normal procedure. The hardest thing I'd have to say about the whole thing is getting the old mounts off of the bracket, I had to use a vise to hold the bracket while I broke the nuts loose...

Of all the things I've ever done to my car, this has been the best improvement in the overall feel of the car, no more shaking, no more jerking, engine starts and turns off more smoothly, clutch engagement is smoother and more predictable; the car basically feels newer. And I still haven't done the pitch-stop mount yet! I'm excited that putting it on will make the car feel like a million bucks...

*Formerly DerFahrer*

91White-T
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by 91White-T »

Well, I got my STi mounts, but I can't put em in because the bolts that go into the block are underneath the damn cross-member. Sigh... looks like this is gonna be quite a bit more expensive than I thought.... :evil:
98 Ford Contour V6 24V 5MT
98 Chevy Camaro Z28 LS1 6MT
91 Rio Red SS 5MT Sold
91 Flat Black Wagon L+ 4EAT RIP
91 Pearl White SS 4EAT RIP