'94 L AWD clutch? (will a '06 WRX clutch fit?)

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

coffeeman885
First Gear

'94 L AWD clutch? (will a '06 WRX clutch fit?)

Post by coffeeman885 »

I have looked on here but I haven't really seen people talking about the clutches on the N/A cars. I just bought a '94 L wagon and it appears that the clutch is slipping or at least I think that it is. I can punch it in say 3rd gear and it will go from 2800 to 3200 rpms then drop back down to 3000 and begins climbing again. The last time my clutch was slipping is was a no brainer. My brother could smell my clutch while driving behind me.

This being said, what clutch do I need to get. I am going to be rallycrossing so I need one that will take some abuse. I, however, don't have a lot to spend. If anybody can tell me the best clutch, what else I will need for the job, or where the best place to buy it - I would greatly appreciate it.

How hard are these transmissions to drop?
Last edited by coffeeman885 on Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Speed limits are like herpes - once you get them you will never be rid of them. - Jeremy Clarkson

'94 Legacy L Wagon "Bluella"
coffeeman885
First Gear

Re: '94 L AWD clutch?

Post by coffeeman885 »

Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?....... Does no one have any ideas about this?

I found this: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframe ... 89-7765668 - You will have to scroll down to see it. I am thinking the either the Sachs or the Exedy kit would be the best, right? The Sachs kit says something about a metal sleeve and oversize TOB - does it come with it's own tranquil kit? I am going to send an email to Rockauto to find out.
Speed limits are like herpes - once you get them you will never be rid of them. - Jeremy Clarkson

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: '94 L AWD clutch?

Post by Legacy777 »

It kind of looks like the Sach's kit has its own tranquil kit, but I've never seen one.

I've heard the Exedy discs tend to provide smoother clutch action, but don't have any direct experience with any non-oem stuff.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
coffeeman885
First Gear

Re: '94 L AWD clutch? (Will a '06 WRX clutch fit?)

Post by coffeeman885 »

Someone just gave me the flywheel and pressure plate from a '06 WRX in the context of "if you can use it I don't need it" so the big question now is.... will it work? He said that they are the pull type clutches like I think the Legacies are. If this will work I can just get a new disc and TOB then call it a day. This will be more than enough clutch for the car currently too so I shouldn't fry it with the launches at RX.

coffeeman885
First Gear

Re: '94 L AWD clutch? (will a '06 WRX clutch fit?)

Post by coffeeman885 »

'06 WRX clutch won't work for anybody that did read this. NA Legacies have manual clutches so.... not happening. If you have something build after '95, however, those clutches seem pretty baller.

Rubasu
First Gear

Post by Rubasu »

hey my experience with this is im running a ej22t and the stock n/a tranny so i called a local clutch shop and had a stage2/3 clutch made for me. it only ran me $240 out the door. the stock clutch would spin if i gave it more than quarter to half throttle and i have had no problems with the new one. also its not to stiff with the cable clutch!
90 legacy Wagon LS Special, JDM closed deck 20g, custom 25d heads f/ metic motors, APS GC FMIC, 740cc, VF34, 4.11 F/D, Turboxs RFL blow off valve, now with piggyback.
94 Legacy SS R.I.P (parts car now for 90)
97 Legacy Outback (sold)
coffeeman885
First Gear

Post by coffeeman885 »

I just ordered the Sachs clutch that comes with the tranquil kit thing. I don't have a horsepower problem. It is stock and those EJ22s put out like 130 bhp in 94 - now 17 years later and I am pretty sure most of those horses are dead. I just need it to last a season of rallycross. I plan on doing a engine/ trans swap next winter.

Mt.HOODrat
First Gear

Post by Mt.HOODrat »

ive been in the same boat. only first gen leggys with hydro clutches were the turbo SS. one member suggested a SPEC stage 1 which is what im going to get this week.its like 300 and change. exedy doesnt make a stage 1 performance kit for the cable tranny leggys from what ive seen
n2x4
Fourth Gear

Post by n2x4 »

coffeeman885 wrote:'06 WRX clutch won't work for anybody that did read this. NA Legacies have manual clutches so.... not happening. If you have something build after '95, however, those clutches seem pretty baller.
Can you elaborate? I don't see how this would be an issue. In the past, cable vs. hydro was just a matter of changing the pivot ball in the trans for the clutch fork.
SUBARUEHS Racing
coffeeman885
First Gear

Post by coffeeman885 »

The top of the release forks is different due to the type of engagement.

RS and 06 WRX forks (hydro):

94 Legacy fork (manual):

mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Just theorizing here, what about the 06 WRX flywheel, clutch disc, pressure plate, throw-out bearing, and 94L cable-fork?

That's assuming the 06-throwout bearing fits the old style cable fork.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
coffeeman885
First Gear

Post by coffeeman885 »

It doesn't have the clips so I think that it wouldn't work not to mention the size difference.

n2x4
Fourth Gear

Post by n2x4 »

Ah - I see. Technically the 06 fork could be cut and welded with a cable clutch fork end to fit. That would probably be easier than trying to adapt the end of the cable fork to fit the 06 throwout bearing.
SUBARUEHS Racing
coffeeman885
First Gear

Post by coffeeman885 »

Yeah I thought about that but I just don't feel like messing with it right now. I am planning an engine swap next winter so I won't even have the trans to worry about. If anybody else is looking for a clutch for their NA this would be something to look into I think. The flywheel on the 06 is supposedly better and the OE disc would give more grip than one would need for an NA engine.

mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

coffeeman885 wrote:It doesn't have the clips so I think that it wouldn't work not to mention the size difference.
I don't have any experience with an 06-07 WRX (other than using their sweet brakes :D), but the 90s RS, Forester, and EJ25D Outbacks have the clips 3 & 6 shown in the cable clutch diagram. They're about $1.50 apiece ad a dealer, know cause I dropped one.

What size difference, the throwout bearings?
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
n2x4
Fourth Gear

Post by n2x4 »

The 06 bearing slides onto the fork like the turbo throwout bearing does. No clips are used. The new bearing also has a larger diameter than the old one, so the fork was widened to account for that.
SUBARUEHS Racing
Rubasu
First Gear

Post by Rubasu »

not sure but i think the turbo models used a pull set up where the bearing clipped in the clutch and the n/a used a push style where the bearing just idled behind the clutch, for the trow out of the bearing to release the clutch.
90 legacy Wagon LS Special, JDM closed deck 20g, custom 25d heads f/ metic motors, APS GC FMIC, 740cc, VF34, 4.11 F/D, Turboxs RFL blow off valve, now with piggyback.
97 Legacy Outback (sold)
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I believe 06 was the first year the WRX got the push style clutch setup. Previously 02-05 they had the pull style clutch setup like the turbo legacies.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
MikeyMeyagi
Second Gear

Post by MikeyMeyagi »

i have used 06-07 wrx clutches in n/a transmissions with no issues. the cable vs hydro release bearing should be the same, or compatable with either fork....
94 Supra Turbo 6 speed. build in progress
98 Lexus GS300, single turbo 2JZGTE swap. daily driver
93 Impreza wagon, home brewed n/a-t ken block themed winter drift missle

*sold*
94 Alpine Sport Wagon... STi conversion, rotated turbo etc
Rubasu
First Gear

Post by Rubasu »

did u use a 06-07 flywheel too or not?
97 Legacy Outback (sold)
coffeeman885
First Gear

Post by coffeeman885 »

From what I have read the added extra strength of the pressure plate on the WRX clutch could cause the Legacy release fork to snap (it apparently happens a lot with the RS guys). The 06 WRX fork is much beefier. I didn't want to risk it since I am not going to be nice to my clutch (rallycross).