EJ20G "RobTune" Info

Headlights to tailights and everything in between.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: EJ20G "RobTune" Info

Post by Legacy777 »

Rob,

I don't have the config file, but I seem to recall that as well. Hopefully someone else can chime in with that info. If not, I'll see what I can dig up.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
rob
First Gear

Post by rob »

Thanks Josh. I found what I was looking for in another thread. BSOD2006 had posted his evoscan config file. So far it has confirmed a couple of my early edumacted guesses.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Good deal!
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

BSOD2600
Fourth Gear

Post by BSOD2600 »

rob wrote:I do have a couple questions for the community. I think I read somewhere that the two ignition maps are for normal and knock detected. Did revtronix ever expand on how these interact? Second, I remember reading that in the early version of the revtronix SSM logger, the ram address for the engine parameters were listed in a separate config file. Does anybody have that listing? It would help speed things up for me.
You're in luck. I found an old copy of RevScan 0.1 laying around. Course the change log is long gone on what changed between 0.1 and 1.110. The revscan.dat file contains the ecu addresses used (use a hex editor to read). I think a version or two later he changed the dat file layout before it got incorporated into the revscan.exe. There are also a few extra parameters present which he no longer exposed in the latter version (Boost DC learned, Knock-retard long term, and EQ target) -- wonder why.

I assume you found the latest version of my EvoScan data file where I used various parameters found from RevScan? Conversion factors are compiled from other SSMI ODB-I sites (like http://www.alcyone.org.uk/ssm/ecureverse.html, the stock ODB-I ones from EvoScan, normal sensor ranges from the FSM, and/or my own testing/tweaking comparing the outputs of RevScan to EvoScan). Heh, I found out that the EvoScan creator put my updated subaru odb-I data file into the latest 2.7 version :) Lastly, I assume you know that various parameters displayed by RevScan are internally calculated and not read from the ECU (found that out thanks to com port sniffing).

As for the knock table stuff, you might find some info in The legacy of Revtronix thread I compiled.

'11 WRX Limited
'94 SS | 3" TBE, 07 TMIC, TD05H-16G, Revtronix Stage 2, Walbro -- Sold
'94 TW | R.I.P.
LookAsubie
First Gear

Post by LookAsubie »

rob wrote:
MikeyMeyagi wrote:its a awesome ecu and tune. ive got nothing but good things to say about rob and his tune.
Thanks for the nice comments guys. Have fun with the Hydra. From my experience, you will find tuning a MAP based system a lot more...um..."enteraining" than tuning for a MAF system. I certainly don't want to go back to MAP anytime soon.

Any word on how your buddy's duplicate build is running?

UPDATES
I do have some updates to share on the small progress made over the past couple of months.

1) EJ22T tune: I have disassembled most of the stock ECU code (with some help from the Nissan tuning crowd) and have been making slow progress on reversing the code. So far I think I have two ignition maps, main fuel map and the MAF transfer table identified. My next steps are to work out the main engine params and looking at some of main algorithms.

I do have a couple questions for the community. I think I read somewhere that the two ignition maps are for normal and knock detected. Did revtronix ever expand on how these interact? Second, I remember reading that in the early version of the revtronix SSM logger, the ram address for the engine parameters were listed in a separate config file. Does anybody have that listing? It would help speed things up for me.

2) 4ch to 2Ch ignition converter: This one has been taking more time than I thought. I had my test vehicle running my first prototype for a while in late summer. All seemed fine on the surface and in fact I had purchased parts and fabbed circuit boards. After some careful testing I wasn't convinced that the ignition timing wasn't being affected and ended up scrapping the design. I am now on my 3rd (or maybe 4th?) redesign and early tests look like that problem is solved. After the new year I returned the the test vehicle to the rightful owner and now will focus on setting up a good test bench for out of the car ECU testing. This will also help considerably in reversing the ECU code. The expectation is that all will be in good shape to take loan of the test legacy again (as long as Drew has the stomach for it again :) ) and have everything finalized.

3) EJ20G tune.: Nothing new to report. The few EJ20G tunes I have sold for EJ22T motors look great and everyone seems happy with them. In my opinion, this is still the best option for you guys if you can source the injectors, MAF and figure a way to change over the ignition.

-Rob
Question, what exactly do do you mean by changing over the ignition? I have a walbro 255 installed, 440cc injectors and the jecs maf in my garage, and just got a td05h-16g the other day, I think I'm gonna go front mount to make the turbo install a little easier. I don't know what I should do for EM though, either a PP6 or one of these chips, what do you guys think?
1992 legacy SS 5mt, Winestone Metallic.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

The EJ20G equipped cars came with coil on plug ignition system, vs. our wasted spark setup. So if you go to the EJ20G ECU, you would need to convert your ignition over to a coil on plug setup. There's a few posts around here which talk about what's involved.

Based on the feedback, I'd personally probably go with one of Rob's ECU's over the perfect power.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

rob
First Gear

Post by rob »

I have created a new Ignition converter thread HERE.

-Rob
darkcrave
Second Gear

Post by darkcrave »

Bumping lol
Tune
TMIC
Fuel
Taillight
n2x4 wrote: Seriously, anything will fit. Subarus are LEGOs.
LookAsubie
First Gear

Post by LookAsubie »

Couple questions,

1. Will I still need to buy a fuel cut defender to be able to run the 15-16 or 18-19 psi, or is that taken care of in the tune/ecu?

2. I have the 440cc injectors in my garage I was planning on running, but now I think I want to just go with the 550's for the extra power, do I have to change anything else to run the 550's? or does everything stay the same other than using the N/A fuel rails to get them to fit?
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

No the EJ20G ECU hits fuel cut at 18psi I believe. Rob may be able to change that for you as well but he told me the JECS MAF maxes out at around 18psi so there's no point in going higher.

If you're going with a TD05 and 15-18 lbs of boost I wouldn't use 440s. Get the 525 STI yellowtop sidefeeds. You don't need to change anything but the rails which are a direct bolt on swap I think from the EJ22T rails to the NA EJ22E rails. I've also seen in other threads that people have dropped 440s into stock EJ22T rails but I personally haven't tried it.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
LookAsubie
First Gear

Post by LookAsubie »

Alright thanks man, yeah im going td05 around 15-18psi.

So I guess I will sell my 440's and buy 525's and the rails. :-)
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Rails are cheap in fact I might have a set in my parents garage that I didn't use. Not sure though.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
BSOD2600
Fourth Gear

Post by BSOD2600 »

kimokalihi wrote: I've also seen in other threads that people have dropped 440s into stock EJ22T rails but I personally haven't tried it.
I've done it. No problems installing.

TD05 and 440cc's work fine -- assuming the ECU isn't in limp mode which adds extra fuel. Otherwise the IDC will max out. I've got a data log thread somewhere here with the raw info.

'11 WRX Limited
'94 SS | 3" TBE, 07 TMIC, TD05H-16G, Revtronix Stage 2, Walbro -- Sold
'94 TW | R.I.P.
rob
First Gear

Post by rob »

LookAsubie wrote:Couple questions,

1. Will I still need to buy a fuel cut defender to be able to run the 15-16 or 18-19 psi, or is that taken care of in the tune/ecu?

2. I have the 440cc injectors in my garage I was planning on running, but now I think I want to just go with the 550's for the extra power, do I have to change anything else to run the 550's? or does everything stay the same other than using the N/A fuel rails to get them to fit?

1) No you do not need a FCD. I can set boost cut from stock up to 1.25BAR (~18psi) *OR* completely off. The stock MAP sensor maxes out at 1.25BAR, so the ECU is unable to read pressure above that. For the 440 tune, you should not run more than 15-16psi and I typically set the boost cut at 18psi. With the 550 tune, with the TD05 the MAF sensor maxes out at about 19psi. For this tune, I recommend removing the boost cut altogether and keep a close eye on your boost gauge while the boost controller is dialed in.

2) I am no expert on how the various injectors fit in the ej22t rails. I assume that information is known and floating around the forum. If you do go to the STi injectors, make sure you have a FP that can handle the supply (the matching STi pump at a minimum).

-Rob
LookAsubie
First Gear

Post by LookAsubie »

rob wrote:
LookAsubie wrote:Couple questions,

1) No you do not need a FCD. I can set boost cut from stock up to 1.25BAR (~18psi) *OR* completely off. The stock MAP sensor maxes out at 1.25BAR, so the ECU is unable to read pressure above that. For the 440 tune, you should not run more than 15-16psi and I typically set the boost cut at 18psi. With the 550 tune, with the TD05 the MAF sensor maxes out at about 19psi. For this tune, I recommend removing the boost cut altogether and keep a close eye on your boost gauge while the boost controller is dialed in.

2) I am no expert on how the various injectors fit in the ej22t rails. I assume that information is known and floating around the forum. If you do go to the STi injectors, make sure you have a FP that can handle the supply (the matching STi pump at a minimum).

-Rob
Sounds good, I have a walbro 255 fuel pump in the car already so I should be good to go there as well.
BC5RSRA
In Neutral

Post by BC5RSRA »

hey Rob,
I have an imported 1990 Legacy RS type RA, I will be removing the ECU this weekend and opening it up. Ill take a pic and post it for you to see...if it is the exact same as a normal EJ20G (V1 or V2) would your chip work for me? please pm me more info.
LookAsubie
First Gear

Post by LookAsubie »

Please don't tell me rob is going mia now just like revtronix..
Florin1
Fourth Gear

Post by Florin1 »

I dont think he has. I thought he was out of town or something. HE still answers my emails. Have a few bugs we're trying to diagnose w/ my swap. He's been a stand up guy though. Maybe he doesn't always check the bbs. He's always on nasioc though...
1994 Legacy Sport Sedan.
1991 Legacy Sport Sedan.
LookAsubie
First Gear

Post by LookAsubie »

Yeah i hope he pops back in soon, I pretty much have everything but the robtuned ecu and ignition converter.
rob
First Gear

Post by rob »

Man you guys are paranoid :) Like Florin said, I was out of town for the past week +. For future reference, in general I am a fairly busy guy and I travel for work on a semi regular basis (including again next week). I have no plans to move to CA and go MIA hehe.

-Rob
rob
First Gear

Post by rob »

BC5RSRA wrote:hey Rob,
I have an imported 1990 Legacy RS type RA, I will be removing the ECU this weekend and opening it up. Ill take a pic and post it for you to see...if it is the exact same as a normal EJ20G (V1 or V2) would your chip work for me? please pm me more info.
PM sent.
ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

rob wrote:Man you guys are paranoid :) Like Florin said, I was out of town for the past week +. For future reference, in general I am a fairly busy guy and I travel for work on a semi regular basis (including again next week). I have no plans to move to CA and go MIA hehe.

-Rob
lmao
1993 Subaru Legacy L AWD Wagon R.I.P
1994 Subaru Legacy SS R.I.P :(
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
2007 Subaru Legacy GT :)
x2hawt4ux
First Gear

Post by x2hawt4ux »

any updates?
92 turbo legacy: RWD W58 SWAP, td04, 3"tbe, mbc, fmic, wrx brakes/hubs, wrx seats, welded 4.11, fcd, drift steering wheel, Drifting Stickers
rob
First Gear

Post by rob »

No updates on the 22t specific tune. Top priority right now is the ignition converter and supporting my standard ej20G customers.
Apex3
Fourth Gear

Post by Apex3 »

rob doesn't seem sketchy like the revtronix guy, I wouldn't be too worried, I warned you guys about revtornix though :lol: but no one believed me

Is there any general timeframe when you think the 22t tune might be done? I'm not done getting all the pieces I need together yet, but it'd buy nice to pick this up when I do