Speedometer Cable P/N 1 piece

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

dkopp
First Gear

Speedometer Cable P/N 1 piece

Post by dkopp »

My speedometer went out and I'm trying to diagnose the root cause. I had intermittent mr. bouncy needle in cold weather around 30-40mph and i've had sticking, too where it will stick at 20mph and not drop or increase until there's a good acceleration.

i read through the various threads and checked the connection at the transmission, which looks fine. the cable was actually loose, so i reinserted. the grease was still quite viscous and the cable spun freely. i could withdraw the cable from the speedometer end, which i think either means i disconnected it from the speedometer, or the cable is broken further up the line.

i found a used cluster, which i'm ordering just to have everything when i tear apart the dash. frustrating having to do this on my DD. now, my cable is one piece, which must mean it was replaced at some point. the local dealership can order me the original two piece for $113 (parts a and b). that doesn't seem like a bad price. so, fellow members, do i go back to an original, two-piece cable, or can someone give me a part number for a one piece cable for a 1993 legacy sport, 5mt, awd, turbo. the dealer won't out of concern that it won't work. i figure the one-piece for the newer models must be cheaper.

thanks and any other things i might be overlooking would be appreciated.
Josh222
First Gear

Re: Speedometer Cable P/N 1 piece

Post by Josh222 »

This was for mine with a 4eat
92 Touring Wagon Mica Black(sold)
99 Outback Limited(sold)
05 Outback XT Limited
dkopp
First Gear

Post by dkopp »

thanks for p/n. it's $35 at subaruparts.com. $10 to ship ups ground. much better than sourcing local. if anyone buys from another source that supports the board, please let me know. i know annapolis subaru is really good to the MAIC chapter on NASIOC, so i'll see what their price is.

before i order, there shouldn't be any difference in the cable connection between the manual and automatic transmissions and instrument clusters, right?

thanks!
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

i don't believe so... actually, im about 80% sure i have a cable from a 4EAT
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT