Is this a PITA? (valve cover removal)

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

coffeeman885
First Gear

Is this a PITA? (valve cover removal)

Post by coffeeman885 »

It looks like that I am leaking oil from my valve covers. It is just a seep but it is enough that it gets on my headers and smokes. It is just annoying. I am tired of smelling it and getting looks from people because there is smoke coming from my hood. How much of a PITA is it to change the gaskets. I have heard that the heads are bad but surely the valve covers can't be that bad, right? There does seem to be a bit of a clearance issue. I don't think it will be a problem getting the bolts out (unless they are hella long) but getting a torque wrench in there for the reinstall could be an issue. I am sure somebody has done this. If it is a pull the engine kinda thing like the heads then I will just live with it.
Speed limits are like herpes - once you get them you will never be rid of them. - Jeremy Clarkson

'94 Legacy L Wagon "Bluella"
mike-tracy

Re: Is this a PITA? (valve cover removal)

Post by mike-tracy »

Super, super easy. Not sure how many bolts (3-4?) on the SOHC heads, but you unbolt the small bolts on the covers (they are reused), chuck the bolt seals and the big gasket that surrounds the cam covers. Clean the crap, install gaskets & bolt seals and done!
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
Jessekrs123
First Gear

Post by Jessekrs123 »

It'll take you 20-30 minutes tops.

It's as easy as changing out spark plugs and wires.
2015 Subaru BRZ
1993 Subaru Legacy Sedan 5 Speed FWD Green (EG33 swap in progress)
1984 Subaru BRAT Tan
Florin1
Fourth Gear

Post by Florin1 »

Oh and don't use a torque wrench on the valve cover bolts. Lol. I'd use a 1/4" ratchet, and just snug them up mild to moderate. They take very little torque.
1994 Legacy Sport Sedan.
1991 Legacy Sport Sedan.
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

They will almost seem like you aren't tightening the bolts enough. I think the spec is in the 5-8 ft/lbs. range.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Florin1 wrote:Oh and don't use a torque wrench on the valve cover bolts. Lol. I'd use a 1/4" ratchet, and just snug them up mild to moderate. They take very little torque.
You beat me to it! My general rule of thumb is don't use toque wrench on anything that's not internal or lug nuts. If you can't feel the proper amount of torque by hand on most bolts you either haven't had much experience or you shouldn't be working on cars.

It's a super easy job. But make sure you get the bolt gaskets or you'll be wasting your time because those are what usually leak. Happy wrenching. Wear gloves, oil is toxic. :)
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
coffeeman885
First Gear

Post by coffeeman885 »

Good info. I might get this done this weekend.
kimokalihi wrote: Wear gloves, oil is toxic. :)
I have just recently become a fan of nitrile gloves. They are so much better than mechanix gloves since you can just throw them away. I wish I had taken a picture of the pile of gloves that I went through last week working on my car. It was almost comical.

Thanks for the quick responses.
Speed limits are like herpes - once you get them you will never be rid of them. - Jeremy Clarkson

Apex3
Fourth Gear

Post by Apex3 »

It's cake, and it's usually the bolt seals that leak, not the gasket, so make sure you replace those, I did both.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I just said that...

Nitrile gloves are nice for oily stuff or when it's hot out but during the winter/spring around here I use nice warm mechanic type gloves that I believe are water proof.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
coffeeman885
First Gear

Post by coffeeman885 »

Do I need to drain my oil to do this? How much oil is in the covers since they are sideways?

evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

No and there shouldn't be much at all—barely enough to drip maybe.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
coffeeman885
First Gear

Post by coffeeman885 »

OK wasn't sure. The sideways motor thing is still new to me. I didn't think that there would be much oil but I wanted to check before I pulled one off and went "dammit" as oil poured out everywhere.