Need Exhaust for 92 EJ22T??

Headers, cats, uppipes, downpipes, midpipes and mufflers.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

cj7135
In Neutral

Need Exhaust for 92 EJ22T??

Post by cj7135 »

Hi all,

I'm in a sort of pickle. We put an EJ22T from a '92 legacy wagon in our 97 Legacy wagon. We used the exhaust from the '92 because it was ok at the time and the hangers lined right up! Yay right?

Here's the issue... The exhaust is no good anymore. I need to replace it, but I have no idea what to buy compatibility-wise. I want a turbo-back that will bolt onto my 92 turbo, and the hangers have to line up for a 97 legacy wagon. I'm told I can use an STI exhaust, and just lengthen the axle-back a bit to compensate the impreza-legacy issue.

Will the exhaust for an STI bolt right into the flange for the 92 turbo? And if yes, how come i wouldn't be able to use an aftermarket STI exhaust? (3" downpipe).

So i'm looking for info on which downpipes I can buy and will bolt right in, and if you know any good places to get a turbo-back exhaust for my car for less than 800$

Thanks in advance
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Need Exhaust for 92 EJ22T??

Post by Legacy777 »

Welcome to the BBS.

The Sti & WRX aftermarket downpipes should fit your car. As you mentioned, you'll need to address the shorter axleback section on the impreza. I don't recall if there's any differences in the mid-pipe. Hopefully someone else may be able to chime in.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

yup you need to lengthen a wrx mid pipe when meeting a wrx dp either way if I am wrong requires some cutting to work!
1993 Subaru Legacy L AWD Wagon R.I.P
1994 Subaru Legacy SS R.I.P :(
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
2007 Subaru Legacy GT :)
cj7135
In Neutral

Post by cj7135 »

Hi guys thanks for the info.. I'm thinking of getting the 300$ turbo-back from ebay. Cheap, new, and I'm hoping better for performance. I hope the DP clears my axles and firewall that's my only worry right now.

I'm pretty sure its a stainless pipe. Does anybody see any issue just cutting it, and camping on a new longer section of pipe? I've never worked with stainless so I dint know if that's a stupid question or not lol...

Thanks again!