motor swap

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

subasteve92
In Neutral

motor swap

Post by subasteve92 »

Not sure if anyone has asked this.

i have a 1992 subaru legacy awd turbo but the motor has just been a problem since i got it
bolts have rusted and everything so i want to just put a new motor in there
does anyone know of any other year models that may fit in there????
i cant let my subie go :x
i got have her!!!

Re: motor swap

Post by subaru_styles »

easiest swap?

you can get early jdm ej20G motors off ebay for teh 800 range. direct replacement. just need put your stock intake manifold harness on the jdm motor. also if you search there are threads for adapting the ej20g ecu too
1994 SS "JDM-OEM"

1997 2.5gt wagon, ricebowl, 207 swapped

1999 lifted 2.5gt wagon,"tokyo weekender"

1994 gt wagon, next build

1994 turbo wagon
subasteve92
In Neutral

Post by subasteve92 »

well i got a call last night from a guy, said he has a legacy gt motor just sitting at his house
its twin turbo charged but im thinking
is it going to fit? if it fits then will my transmission from my motor work on it
cuz those were automatic trans.
and also the car it came out of i believe is right hand drive. and i know that
is gonna be hard to do right???
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

The twin turbo charged motors don't fit in the LHD cars without significant modifications
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Oh yeah. Twin turbo engine swap is not fun.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
subasteve92
In Neutral

Post by subasteve92 »

so i should pass on the motor???

Post by kimokalihi »

For your car? Yes, I would recommend passing on that motor. How much does he want for it? If you can get it for really cheap it would be worth buying and selling the heads and block and intake and injectors and header and turbos. For instance I scored that same engine a couple years ago for $350 that came with an ebay header that I sold and lightweight flywheel that retails at $475 that I kept. Then I sold the heads, block, intake and injectors for about $525 to separate people. So if you can get it for $300 I would definitely buy it and if you don't want to and you're local to me, tell me who it is and I'll buy it! lol
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
subasteve92
In Neutral

Post by subasteve92 »

he wants 600 for the motor which i believe he got off ebay for 1500
he said he is just trying to get rid of it because he is trying to start on a
motor from scratch on his wrx
he said it has sti turbos on it which he put on himself...idk how true that is
im trying to get pics

Post by kimokalihi »

Nope, not worth your time or money. STI turbos, I doubt that as well. The EJ20H twin turbo engines go for $6-700 all day long on ebay so if he paid $1,500 he got ripped off and I would say he's probably inflating that number quite a bit. People generally buy these engines to use in other applications, mainly sand rails. You can't put it in your legacy because I think the steering shaft gets in the way of the left side turbo. So if you wanted to use it you would need to plug the plumbing to the left turbo and ditch the other turbo as well and go with a larger one like a TD04 off. Then you would need to either fabricate your own custom intake if you go the TD04 route because it's straight inlet vs the VF11 on our legacys which has a 90 degree inlet or you could find an intake off an impreza that routes under the intake manifold which means you'd need to also source the airbox from that car or use a cone filter with MAF attachment.

You'd also need to use your throttle body off your legacy and mount it upside down so the throttle cable aperture is on the other side because it will hit the IAC if you mount it the same way it mounts on the USDM legacy. This also requires fabbing up a spacer plate between the manifold and the throttle body approximately 1/4" thick because the TPS hits the manifold when mounted this way.

The twin turbo EJ20H is coil on plug so you have to use your wasted spark coil pack and swap over your engine harness from your turbo legacy.

I would also intercool it so an 06/07 TMIC from a WRX is a good idea which requires custom plumbing as well and custom bypass valve setup.

There's probably more that I'm forgetting but already that's quite the list of issues to deal with. I've been there and done that and I would not do it that way again.
Falken-18c
Second Gear

Post by Falken-18c »

couldnt u just get new bolts and and other parts that u need probly for as much as your gunna buy another motor for i say just work with what you have
subasteve92
In Neutral

Post by subasteve92 »

well the thing is, the bolts a rusted in there places so when i try to take them off they snap..
which has already messed up my turbo as well... thats why i want to get another motor
something that is in a better condition
not metion the hoses...left and right i am finding hoses that the guy plugged up
or that are broken..
plus another thing...any web sites that yall know of for goods parts and prices???

Post by subasteve92 »

what about this motor......its on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Subaru-I ... ccessories

Post by kimokalihi »

I wouldn't buy it. It doesn't come with the rear diff and I'm pretty sure that trans is a different ratio than yours so you need that rear diff or resuse your trans. But still for $800 plus probably another 5 or 6 hundred for shipping isn't worth it IMO.
Falken-18c
Second Gear

Post by Falken-18c »

i just look on kijiji for local and citys that are only 2 hours away and see what type off parts i can find. i know in toronto they want like 3500for a v3swap motor and tranny. and for a v8 6speed with dccd transmision / differential /4axel / rear drive shaft and starter and flywheel whith clutch for 4000 THINGS ARE PRICEY thats at an import shop so if u can find private deals are better
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I'm not familiar with the different versions but I know a newer 6spd trans and rear diff and axles and hubs will cost you about $3,500 on NASIOC. So that may or may not be a decent price.
Florin1
Fourth Gear

Post by Florin1 »

Check out "SLODRIVE"'s build thread. I dont think its that big of a deal buying the tt motor. He did it. Read trough his thread. I think all you have to do, is plug the coolant/oil bungs on the LH head. And probably some other small bits here and there. You can also use things off your old motor...
1994 Legacy Sport Sedan.
1991 Legacy Sport Sedan.
subasteve92
In Neutral

Post by subasteve92 »

wow....that guy went through all that trouble
but that took a long time
im looking for something that is just like plug and play
i know its easier said then done
but its my daily so im stuck without a car right now
lol