Really bad news for Richard Burns

Autocross, Rallycross, ProRally, Drag, WRC, F1 etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Dr Nick
Second Gear

Really bad news for Richard Burns

Post by Dr Nick »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsp ... 277637.stm

I knew that Burns had fainted at the wheel of his road car on the way to the Welsh (UK) Rally but this is some really bad news. I've never been a great fan of his, but I wouldn't wish this on anyone...

Richard was supposed to be driving for Subaru in 2004. I guess they'll be looking for someone to replace him. (Colin McRae??)
- Rob

1992 Legacy Turbo Estate (Wagon) / 5MT / 186k miles. [url]http://www.griggs-taylor.co.uk/legacy.html[/url]
1986 Suzuki GSX-R400 / 6MT / 43k km. [url]http://www.griggs-taylor.co.uk/mybike.html[/url]
JasonGrahn
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by JasonGrahn »

And i thought his fainting spell was because he's such a ginger!

Best wishes to Burns and his family. I hope to see him pull through like Lance Armstrong (the bicyclist) and be an even stronger competitor in the future!
-Jason Grahn
PRT
First Gear

Post by PRT »

My dream team is already finish... :cry:
He'll come back strong!!!
Nick
PRT motorsport Rally Team
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

At least it sounds optimistic about his chances, but it's a bad break. If I were a guy like that, sitting out the season would be as bad as the cancer.

Anyone know who they're looking at in the second seat? McRae's taking a year off (officially) because of the stupid rule changes that push him out of a seat, but if there were a seat out there...

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
eastbaysubaru
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by eastbaysubaru »

I'm stunned. It was a real downer, and a real let down for Subaru. I wish Richard a speedy recovery and hope everything works out for the best.

-Brian
'04 PSM FXT
HomeSlice
Third Gear

Post by HomeSlice »

man thats beat.....i was waiting to see him in a scoob again
MY93BC Legacy Sonora Sand---> black plasti-dip?
MY93GC Impreza Amethyst--> Glacier/aspen/pd White
93BC"edm" 93GC 90BC R.I.P.
Grant
Second Gear

Post by Grant »

I figured they'd probably scoop up McRae since he's available. Still have a team comprised of two former world champions. The really bad thing about this new system is it kinda screws the up and coming drivers. Do you think Markko, Seb, or Solberg would have become some of the top drivers if they'd not been allowed to progress and drive with and alongside the big guns early on? Anyhow,
Grant Hughes
Denver, CO
http://www.nocoastmotorsports.net
JasonGrahn
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by JasonGrahn »

Actually, the new system is designed to place up-an-comers in the spotlight. By having 2 spots dedicated for cheif drivers, the 3rd spot is reserved for a driver that has not won a championship round. Well, when the current pool gets full of champions, they'll have to look to Grp. N or the PWRC for more talent.
Last edited by JasonGrahn on Thu Nov 20, 2003 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Jason Grahn
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

Man that's rough. :cry: My grandfather died from a brain tumor,. It is a horrible way to go. It's good to hear that his chances are so good.
-Matt

'92 SS 5mt. All go and no show. Sold :(
'94 Audi UrS4 Modded (new project)
'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
Grant
Second Gear

Post by Grant »

Jason- I think that's probably the idea but in reality, more due to the addition of two rounds in different continents, most of the teams won't have additional drivers that have the kind of support that they've had in the past because they'll be focusing mostly on their current "points" drivers. I hope that it doesn't work out this way but it most likely will. Look at McRae for example. He's out because, even though he'd hold a chance for a driver's title possibly, he would be competition on the team for their points drivers and would cost more money to run the extra car. That and an extra driver would always, always be screwed when it comes to team orders. Say if McRae, Sainz, and Loeb were all on Citroen and it would be more beneficial to the team, aka bring Loeb and Sainz up a place, if McRae retired they could do so. I personally think they did do something similar to him at the end of the year anyhow with the big let down then two rallies in a row with air in the brake lines. I don't doubt every team would be this way with every driver and newcomers wouldn't have the kind of opportunity they do now to compete and show they can be competitive up against the masters.
Grant Hughes
Denver, CO
http://www.nocoastmotorsports.net