EJ22t Hybrid attempt...want somewhere around 350+ hp

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

batlegacy
First Gear

EJ22t Hybrid attempt...want somewhere around 350+ hp

Post by batlegacy »

Ok guys,

Im pretty new to Subies, know the basics but have little idea how to go about building a hybrid:

I have a Alpine White 1994 Subaru Legacy Turbo 5MT 125,000 original, and very clean/ great conditions...does not look abused at all.

Have a friend who can hook me up with a vf39 and all necessary components like fuel rails, 550cc side feeds, oil regulator, etc. (all from a donor '04 STI)...his stock setup with the help of a straight pipe gives him 400hp, 330 to the wheels. :shock:

Obviously I dont have an ej257, but i want those similar numbers using the vf39, or a vf30... :roll:

The Question: How can I go about this? to get those numbers...?

Upgrade to DOHC heads, STI crank, STI mounts, Cams, etc? what fits, what doesnt? anyone done a hybrid they can help me with? I have a whole summer to do this, if you guys can help me out, that would be awesome.

Thanks and Much love,
BatLegacy :mrgreen:
TurnNburn
Second Gear

Re: EJ22t Hybrid attempt...want somewhere around 350+ hp

Post by TurnNburn »

There are very few people who are hitting the numbers you are talking about. Definitely not without expensive engine management and lots of dyno time. Its going to take a lot of research and lots of trial and error. Either way, i cant wait to see the results. Maybe these will help point you in the right direction.

http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic. ... 6&start=25
http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=29842
1990 NA 2.2 Open Light rally car
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

My first question would be what is your budget.

You will not even come close to those numbers without spending a pretty coin on engine management, mods, etc. That doesn't include any consideration for the drivetrain, braking or other components that really should be looked at if you're wanting that kind of power.

Honestly....you're better off selling your car and getting an STi. You'll spend less money in the long run.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

These are not DSM's where you can slap a few parts on and rock & roll.
→Dan

piddster34 at h0tma1l d0t c0m
batlegacy
First Gear

Post by batlegacy »

Yea thnx for the wise words 93forestpearl? No duh its not a DSM...but its an ej22t, and just like any turboed ej it has a lot of potential, just a matter of finding what parts, mods, and recipes can make those numbers a reality. I know its possible because ive seen various sport sedans on this forum alone who pull numbers close to and past what ive posted. Im merely asking for someone who has made these numbers a possibility to help me out with some ideas, advice, and wisdom. Soo if you can help thank you, if you cant, then let me achieve my dream alone.
batlegacy
First Gear

Post by batlegacy »

Legacy777 wrote:My first question would be what is your budget.

Honestly....you're better off selling your car and getting an STi. You'll spend less money in the long run.
Legacy777, my budget is whatever I earn at work, because I have the luxury of being a college student who is home for the summer with no major expenses (between 2-3k or so)

And trust me ive done the math, its definitely a better (and more fulfilling)/cheaper idea to build up my turbo leg, than buy an STI, because I do not have 8k to spend on a used WRX STI although id love too...obviously it wont be a quick 1, 2, I know it will take time, patience, and money, but I have all 3...and im merely asking for help guys...so far only one of you has been helpful (thanks turnNburn). I though legacy central was a fam helping each other out...still have that hope
Dominator
First Gear

Post by Dominator »

Hey batlegacy,
This forum community is very helpful. If you indeed WANT to build a motor to those levels, the people on here will support and encourage you.

However, nothing is going to be handed to you. You'll have to put in your due dilligence to know what you're building and what is involved.

There are ways to do it, ie; 2.5 crank with your block machined for the different thrust bearing, better rods, forged pistons, DOHC high flowing heads, mad amounts of boost, etc. etc. etc.

The big thing you will run into right away is tuning. This is 20 year old ecu technology, there is no COBB accessport or tatrix cable opensource tuning for it. You gotta work around the ecu or go full standalone to extract the full power. Stock ecu boost fuel cut is at what, 14psi?

Long story longer, it's a pay to play world, buying an Sti is expensive up front, but you get a lot in that package. To get a 90's turbo leg to that level is going to take a lot of money.

Also, if you can find a $9000 used wrx sti, be wary, thats too good to be true. Maybe an early wrx for that price, but that's not sti money.

Ok, last thought then I'm off my soapbox. There are lots of sections on this forum with a wealth of knowledge in all of them. Take advantage of what others have tried and written. That's what it's here for. Stickies are ok, FAQ's are good, and search is the best for specific questions.

If you do start modifying your car, more power to you. I'm sure everyone on here wants to see you succeed.

Good luck, cheers!
-Dominic
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

batlegacy wrote:Legacy777, my budget is whatever I earn at work, because I have the luxury of being a college student who is home for the summer with no major expenses (between 2-3k or so)

And trust me ive done the math, its definitely a better (and more fulfilling)/cheaper idea to build up my turbo leg, than buy an STI, because I do not have 8k to spend on a used WRX STI although id love too...obviously it wont be a quick 1, 2, I know it will take time, patience, and money, but I have all 3...and im merely asking for help guys...so far only one of you has been helpful (thanks turnNburn). I though legacy central was a fam helping each other out...still have that hope

Help can come in all forms. Please try and take Dan (93forestpearl) and I's comments as constructive feedback. We both are speaking from direct experience with these cars, and are trying to give you realistic feedback, rather than a bunch of rah-rah feedback, which leads you down a path that you may not have wanted to go.

These cars are aging, and the technology, especially the controls (ECU) technology is very dated compared to today's standards. So that should be considered in your modifications. The other thing I will add is that modifications/upgrades can be done in many different ways. From my experience, you have two different category of modifications. The first is where you spend the money or build the components/pieces to fit a specific need or function. Everything is working the way it was designed and all is good. The other side is where you piece some things together and it mostly/kind of works, but there's some issues. There's probably areas in-between, but those are you two extremes.

A good example of the above that is related to these cars is fuel. If you want to up the boost, you need more fuel. You can do that in a couple ways, but usually adding larger injectors is what is done. You can use 440 cc/min injectors from JDM Legacies (stock are 370 cc/min) to get a little extra fuel, but they will run rich compared to the stock setup. The stock ECU has the ability to trim a little bit of fuel, but not that much. So people go this route to give them a little more fuel so boost can be turned up. This "works" but is not the "right" way to do it, and has drawbacks: poor fuel mileage, less power than you should be making with the same amount of fuel, and washing of the cylinders, espeically at off boost running.

The proper way to add more fuel would require you to modify/upgrade the engine management. Piggy back fuel controllers have their place, and different people have had different experience with them, but they are an option. Additionally, a RobTune ECU is another option, and really is the best option out there right now for these cars, unless you want to go full stand alone.

So with all that being said I can tell you from my experience when I rebuilt my motor the first time I had about $2,000 give or take in just parts. That didn't including machining costs, assembly/labor, etc. That was rebuilding the motor with stock components. Upgraded turbo, TD05-16G was around $600, give or take, full turbo back exhaust was around $1,000 or so, full stand alone engine management was around $1,700, I've probably got between $2,000-$2,500 in tuning (multiple tuning sessions), and other miscelaneous costs. All that....and I'm putting down 242 hp / 280 ft-lbs of torque to the wheels. On that particular dyno, that hp is around what a stock STi puts down, and a little more torque. So if you add all that up, I've spent about $7,000 to make around what an STi makes, and that doesn't include the misc. costs, which I would guess would be about another $1,000 or $2,000. I'm sure costs could have been saved here or there, but even if you take $2,000 off of what I've spent, I've still probably spent $5,000 - $6,000 just on the power side of things.

I'm in the process of building the motor again with forged pistons, rods, upgraded bearings, and a cam. So I've got probably another $2,000 or so into this build. If all is good, that may get me closer to 300 whp, but still may be a little on the shy side. If you think about it, 300 whp is about 350 crank hp. If you talk with the guys that have dyno'd stock cars, a 40-50 hp drivetrain loss is about average.

When you get into those higher hp ranges, you really need to pay closer attention to the transmission, the suspesion, the brakes, etc.

The bottom line to all this is we want you to have as much information as you can so you can make an informed decision. If I had to guess, to make the kind of horsepower you're wanting to make, make it reliably, and have supporting systems (transmission, brakes, suspension) that can handle that kind of power, you could easily spend $10,000 - $20,000. You'll find that I tend to advocate going the direction which may be a little more expensive, but yields a better end product in my opinion then half assing something together.

Anyway, so that's a little background behind the comments that were made. You can do with them, what you see fit. If this is something you still want to pursue, we can try and provide assistance as much as we can, but you also need to realize that there is a very few number of us that are in the +350 hp range. So comments from direct experience will be limited.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

That's the other big, expensive thing—the transmission. You'll be eating them unless you buy an expensive custom unit, an STI 6-speed (both typically well north of $4000), or convert to rwd with the Toyota R154 (probably around $600 for the bellhousing adaptor soon to be sold here and transmission, which is reasonable, but there are cheaper ways to rwd speed).

Performance cars are like boats in that everyone thinks they can stretch into them, but the costs are always much higher than you expect. If you have to stretch, you can't afford it and won't be happy with the results unless you're very easily pleased or into bank account masochism. My advice is to save your money or use it to travel/do things with people and be happy with what you have, but that's a lesson many people don't learn in a lifetime.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
batlegacy
First Gear

Post by batlegacy »

Thanks guys...i am definitely doing my research, and I will see what I can do, and what my budget allows me
Deride
Second Gear

Post by Deride »

I say sell the t-leg and buy an old Legacy L and a totaled STi. Swap everything and start from there.
2002 Impreza 2.0RS 6MT
2001 Impreza 2.5RS 5MT (winter beater)
1992 Jeep Cherokee
1994 SS 5MT RIP
1991 SS 5MT *SOLD*
1996 Legacy Outback 5MT *SOLD*
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

After fooling around with these cars for the better part of a decade, spending a lot, and wasting a fair amount in the process, I'd have to say I agree with Jeremy (Deride). Picking away at the mods to retain the old system is very expensive. If you buy a totaled car, you can convert the entire car to the newer spec, use RomRaider, etc. Everybody and their brother can tune that, and other parts are cheaper and easier to come by.

FYI, my previous setup was making at least 300 whp and I spent over $20k doing it the right way. This was on 22T heads. With a VF39, you will never get even close to what your friend made, and those numbers are questionable at best unless he is using E85.
→Dan

93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

Also, here is a good read on driveline loss. It is definitely not a straightforward HP number or percentage.

http://www.modified.com/tech/modp-1005- ... index.html
→Dan