where has ciper been?????

Subaru-related topics that don't belong anywhere else...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

Did you know that washer lights that aren't white or yellow are illegal? Did you know that tail lights without a reflector built in (to reflect light from external sources) are illegal? Even side lights have to be a certain color depending on distance from the front/rear.

Remember the old Lincolns and Cadillacs that had the small white lights on the side in the rear? Those are now illegal to produce! Most of the LED replacement "bulbs" are also not legal because the light isnt veiwable from every angle like a normal bulb.

Surprisingly even the "gold" colored headlights you can get from Europe are illegal.

You dislike Alteza/Euro lights like I do, but what about the Altezza lights on an real Altezza?

vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

ciper wrote:Most of the LED replacement "bulbs" are also not legal because the light isnt veiwable from every angle like a normal bulb.
Not only that, but their spectral distribution doesn't qualify as legal either.

I don't usually take legality to be the last word (even non-yellow ECE headlamps are illegal in most states, even though they're generally way better than any legal lights), but most of the things in your examples are not only illegal but dumb.

Forward-facing lights are supposed to be white or yellow on anything but an emergency vehicle. And no light on a civilian vehicle is supposed to be a color other than red, amber/orange/yellow, or white. That's so you can tell when a car is coming towards you and tell when you're being pulled over

Similarly, rear-facing lights are supposed to be red, and have red reflectors/lenses so you can tell easily and without thinking when you are looking at the rear of the vehicle, and so you can see when you might be about to hit a parked car.

The main problem I have with the aftermarket Altezza-style taillamps they sell is not the styling but the flouting of these established norms. Real Altezza lights conform to these norms.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
eastbaysubaru
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by eastbaysubaru »

LOL...ciper, that's not even an "Altezza" :lol: :D .

-Brian
'04 PSM FXT
HomeSlice
Third Gear

Post by HomeSlice »

eastbaysubaru wrote:LOL...ciper, that's not even an "Altezza" :lol: :D .

-Brian
ooooooh shot his moms in the back--- good point^
MY93BC Legacy Sonora Sand---> black plasti-dip?
MY93GC Impreza Amethyst--> Glacier/aspen/pd White
93BC"edm" 93GC 90BC R.I.P.
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

That's an Altezza. Putting a Lexus badge on it and labeling it "IS300" doesn't change what it is.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

Get this: I don't even like Altezza lights on an Altezza (or IS300) anymore... The style has been beat to death... It is SOOOO 2001 :lol:

I think they sould make the IS300 lights a solid red color, with reverse/turn signals at the bottom, but that would end up looking like a Focus sedan... :roll:
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

Did anyone ever like them? I personally always thought they were ugly, Nice idea, but very poor execution.
Rio Red 90 Legacy LS AWD 174k
Liquid Silver 92 SVX LS-L 88k
[url=http://folding.amdmbpond.com/FoldingForOurFuture.html]Do you fold?[/url]

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
Larry Witherspoon
First Gear

outdo subyluvrs instant rice-ifications

Post by Larry Witherspoon »

subyluvr wrote:

I agree they're absolutely horrible, and I place them in my list of three instant rice-ifications: 1) Altezza lights 2) Windshield washer lights 3) Oversized wheel covers...

Think I can go you one better. Check this...
ELECTRONIC NA BLOW OFF SOUND GENERATOR
http://www.takakaira.com/accessories/ni ... pager.html

How come I can't paste a picture?
Larry Witherspoon
ssspoon@aol.com
Torrance (Los Angeles)
92 Turbo Legacy Wagon
310-429-4269
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Heh, that device would actually be good for turbo owners who run stock engine management but want the aftermarket BOV sound...
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

Better than that even: I saw someone on eBay selling his 12-second time slip, so you can completely forget about modding your car and just flat-out lie about its performance... :lol: I think he wanted like $25 for it too...

I'm just curious how much worse it could get :?
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

It's unbelievable the level of sh!% out there now. The posers (now called ricers) were bad when everyone was driving muscle cars back when I was in high school (except for me and my Subaru), but this is beyond anything those mama-bought-me-my-5.0 guys ever had and at least those cars could get out of their own way stock. Entropy increases with time as well as phony BS, I guess.

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
LegacyPunk
Second Gear

Post by LegacyPunk »

that electronic BOV doesn't even sound right :?
:twisted::cool::twisted: "Plenty of time, to ruin my life, so why start now?" The Movie Life
1993 Sports Sedan, Exhaust, MBC, 02 WRX IC, KYB GR-2s...Now with old back seat!
import_freak
First Gear

Post by import_freak »

HAHA!!! that fake BOB sounds like a fart. PFFFFFFFFT!!!! :oops: :oops: :oops: :roll: :roll:
93 legacy turbo sedan
00 jeep wrangler
import_freak
First Gear

Post by import_freak »

whoops :oops: i put BOB not BOV lol
93 legacy turbo sedan
00 jeep wrangler
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

you said BOB....haha

Larry, in order to post a pic you need to put the url inside the bb brackets

[img][/img]
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

BOB's are gross, esp on women
Rio Red 90 Legacy LS AWD 174k
Liquid Silver 92 SVX LS-L 88k
[url=http://folding.amdmbpond.com/FoldingForOurFuture.html]Do you fold?[/url]

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

Time slips for sale on ebay?! I have no words to describe how I fell about that. uggghhh :roll: :lol:

Ive heard an electronic BOVs before, but one I saw last year has to take the cake.

You know how most of these guys have a monster stereo right? (with lots of volume and no sound quality). Well he had a switch so that he could run the electronic BOV to his stereo. It was very loud but it had the strangest sound, especially coupled with the fart can.