Rob's 4to2 Igntion Converter

Headlights to tailights and everything in between.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

LookAsubie
First Gear

Re: Rob's 4to2 Igntion Converter

Post by LookAsubie »

Awersome! So excited :)
1992 legacy SS 5mt, Winestone Metallic.
dscoobydoo
Fifth Gear

Post by dscoobydoo »

I took the test mule out for a 2 hour 150 mile drive averaging 80 mph. I also did a run up to 110. This included some pulls to redline and going through all of the gears in traffic and on the highway. SO far it feels like stock, with nothing to tell you something was changed. It is only running about 12 lbs of boost right now, but it is better to start light and work up. We might up the boost to 14 or 15 this coming weekend if Rob and I can get together. Then another week of tests.
Yes I have too many Subarus
No you can't have one
05 GD-STI
01- RS- Swapped-07 STI
00- GF
93 SS- "the original Robtune" (now in new hands)
LookAsubie
First Gear

Post by LookAsubie »

Rob, Im ready to buy the 20G ecu + tune + converter package as soon as you are ready.

Just let me know :-D
rob
First Gear

Post by rob »

dscoobydoo wrote:I took the test mule out for a 2 hour 150 mile drive averaging 80 mph. I also did a run up to 110. This included some pulls to redline and going through all of the gears in traffic and on the highway. SO far it feels like stock, with nothing to tell you something was changed. It is only running about 12 lbs of boost right now, but it is better to start light and work up. We might up the boost to 14 or 15 this coming weekend if Rob and I can get together. Then another week of tests.
Just so things are clear, the extra testing is to get more data on the tune. Testing is done for the converter. I am convinced it is working flawlessly. Oh and the taking it easy was because you didn't have a boost gauge :) But now that is remedied, it's time to push the boost up.

-Rob
LookAsubie
First Gear

Post by LookAsubie »

rob wrote:
dscoobydoo wrote:I took the test mule out for a 2 hour 150 mile drive averaging 80 mph. I also did a run up to 110. This included some pulls to redline and going through all of the gears in traffic and on the highway. SO far it feels like stock, with nothing to tell you something was changed. It is only running about 12 lbs of boost right now, but it is better to start light and work up. We might up the boost to 14 or 15 this coming weekend if Rob and I can get together. Then another week of tests.
Just so things are clear, the extra testing is to get more data on the tune. Testing is done for the converter. I am convinced it is working flawlessly. Oh and the taking it easy was because you didn't have a boost gauge :) But now that is remedied, it's time to push the boost up.

-Rob
Which tune is this test car running?

And saying it feels like stock you mean as in running great with no weird issues? Not stock feeling power/speed wise, correct?
bmxkelowna
Fourth Gear

Post by bmxkelowna »

455 is an awesome deal!
my aem patch harness was 60 my ecu was 100 the tune was 280 plus shipping the ecu to rob came to just over 450 and i had to do the wiring myself

when i buy a daily legacy ill buy the full set up from rob for sure
dscoobydoo
Fifth Gear

Post by dscoobydoo »

LookAsubie wrote:
rob wrote:

-Rob
Which tune is this test car running?

And saying it feels like stock you mean as in running great with no weird issues? Not stock feeling power/speed wise, correct?
OK- My saying it feels stock- is that you can't tell it has a converter or is running a different ECU.

It definately does not pull like stock.
No you can't have one
05 GD-STI
01- RS- Swapped-07 STI
00- GF
LookAsubie
First Gear

Post by LookAsubie »

Ok cool. Thanks for the clarification.
rob
First Gear

Post by rob »

LookAsubie wrote: Which tune is this test car running?
Right now it is my standard 440 tune with a lower target boost/boost cut.

-Rob
rob
First Gear

Post by rob »

I am getting pretty close to having some ready to sell. Here is a teaser pic of a completed converter.

Alphius
Fourth Gear

Post by Alphius »

rob wrote:I am getting pretty close to having some ready to sell. Here is a teaser pic of a completed converter.
Way cool!
scoobylover57
First Gear

Post by scoobylover57 »

awesome. i'm ready to buy.
-Nick-
91 lsi with ej22t swap. work in progress. Sold.
92 SS 5spd. stock. Sold.
94 TW. 6 spd. V2 sti ra ej20g. 550's. rob tune.
94 SS 5spd. stock
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

Does your converter adjust/compensate for the (possibly) different dwell requirements between the COPs and the coil-pack? My twin ignitor solution doesn't and I haven't noticed any issues, however dwell is one area I have always been concerned that may need more attention than I have the skills to give it.

My solution really only relies on the ignitors built in rectifiers to keep the channels seperated from each other. I trust your knowledge of electronics way more than mine and was thinking of upgrading to your converter.
'93 Winestone SS Auto, '91 Pearl White SS.
'93 Pure White SS EJ20G slanty intercooled, SIDESWIPED! In stasis.
'94 FWD and '95 AWD Laguna Blue SVXs.
2017 Pure Red BRZ Limited w/Performance pack
rob
First Gear

Post by rob »

I believe all subaru igniters (at least the ones we are working with) are "dumb" igniters and the dwell is controlled by the ECU. I guess there may be a concern that the EJ20G coils may take less time to charge and therefore the EJ20G ECU would not charge the ej22t coils long enough to reach saturation. In that case one would have ignition cutouts at higher RPM/high boost. So far I have seen no hint of that, so I'm not worried. That is unless you have more info that I have ;)

There was one concern I had about your setup with excessive current draw from one igniter half leaking to the other igniter. I haven't taken the time to pencil it out, but I am curious if your igniters get hot?

-Rob
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

rob wrote:..... So far I have seen no hint of that, so I'm not worried. That is unless you have more info that I have ;)

....., but I am curious if your igniters get hot?

-Rob
I have not seen any hint of ignition breakup. It's more that I don't fully understand the minute details of charging the coil or the particular timing of either style, so the bug is always chewing in the back of my head. As far as physical observations, everything is perfect.

My ignitors don't get hot or really even warm. Even after long drives, they can still be touched and held and are at far less temperature than ambient under the hood.
'93 Winestone SS Auto, '91 Pearl White SS.
'93 Pure White SS EJ20G slanty intercooled, SIDESWIPED! In stasis.
'94 FWD and '95 AWD Laguna Blue SVXs.
2017 Pure Red BRZ Limited w/Performance pack
rob
First Gear

Post by rob »

PhyrraM wrote: I have not seen any hint of ignition breakup. It's more that I don't fully understand the minute details of charging the coil or the particular timing of either style, so the bug is always chewing in the back of my head. As far as physical observations, everything is perfect.
To put it simply, the converter is a passthrough for the ECU, so dwell is not altered. The real question that should be asked is if the ECU and igniter are of compatible type (constant charge or constant duty). in this case the answer is yes. If you want more info on the differences in ignition types, PM me and I'll fill in the nitty gritty.

-Rob
rob
First Gear

Post by rob »

I fitted my first production unit on The Mule, and am happy to report it works just as well as the prototype. I pushed the boost up a bit and rung it out to 7k. It runs flawlessly.

At this point I am ready to take my first set of orders! I should have my first nine finished this weekend. Send email directly on what you want and I will pass along paypal details.

-Rob
rob . files @ gmail . com
Last edited by rob on Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rob
First Gear

Post by rob »

Oh and I forgot to add that I am also working on install instructions that will come soon.

-Rob
farfrumwork
Second Gear

Post by farfrumwork »

Email sent!

:D
-Chad
Old - '93 T-Leg - 14.693 @ 92.68 at 5800ft ASL (Bandimere Speedway)
New - 07 Spec B/stg 2

"bloodstains - speed kills -fast cars - cheap thrills -rich girls - fine wine
i've lost my sense - i've lost control - i've lost my mind" Agent Orange
darkcrave
Second Gear

Post by darkcrave »

Instructions for the WINNN
Tune
TMIC
Fuel
Taillight
n2x4 wrote: Seriously, anything will fit. Subarus are LEGOs.
rob
First Gear

Post by rob »

instructions are overrated :)

Ugh, it has been a busy summer.....I'll try to get this posted by the end of the week.
fasterthanyou
In Neutral

Post by fasterthanyou »

done yet?
dscoobydoo
Fifth Gear

Post by dscoobydoo »

I have been driving the test mule for the last week. Still no issues. I plan on getting it on the dyno soon so you will know what the gains will be for a standard jdm 16G/440's/awic/3 inch exhaust on a stock 15 lb map.
No you can't have one
05 GD-STI
01- RS- Swapped-07 STI
00- GF
stipro
Third Gear

Post by stipro »

^^That would be awesome to see results of your dyno day. Your mods are what I have currently in my car right now in preparation for rob's 440 tune. Super excited!
1994 ABM Sport Sedan-Not stock
1990 L series/turbo-Rally project
farfrumwork
Second Gear

Post by farfrumwork »

I'll have dyno results on a 16G(VF12)/550/awic/3"TBE/cams/etc... Rob-tune setup soon as well. I have all my parts and just need to install everything, which will be easy (maybe next week).

I do need some guidance on the converter inputs/outputs... which wires go where?!? haha I'll just email Rob.
Old - '93 T-Leg - 14.693 @ 92.68 at 5800ft ASL (Bandimere Speedway)
New - 07 Spec B/stg 2

"bloodstains - speed kills -fast cars - cheap thrills -rich girls - fine wine
i've lost my sense - i've lost control - i've lost my mind" Agent Orange