what color should i paint my car

Anything and Everything about the Body, from paint to undercoating and interior, including in-car entertainment (ICE).

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

x2hawt4ux
First Gear

Post by x2hawt4ux »

right now its maroon or dark red what ever you wanna call it. im painting it this weekend and cant decide on a color. i was thinking flat black or just black, but im not sure. then i was thinking a darker gun metal. what are your ideas? what do u think would look good.
92 turbo legacy: RWD W58 SWAP, td04, 3"tbe, mbc, fmic, wrx brakes/hubs, wrx seats, welded 4.11, fcd, drift steering wheel, Drifting Stickers
TBFK
First Gear

Re: what color should i paint my car

Post by TBFK »

If I had a really powerful car, i'd make it all different colors. Like stock colors, or a bunch of flat, non-glossy, colors! Not like the rainbow of course, I don't like Skittles, but instead like browns, greys, and blacks. But I like to do off-the-wall things like that. Everybody does flat back where I live, so I don't like it much. I would want something that is flashy, but isn't at the same time. Maybe like a medium gloss, dark royal purple if you want a dark color, or something in between fluorescent orange and fluorescent yellow, with a little silver/gold flake in it. Just an idea.

Happy Cinco De Mayo!!
Jesse James

Nintendo Technical Support Representative

Link To Nintendo Technical Support Thread
Ramsey Clark wrote:Who will protect the public when the police violate the law?
1997 Legacy LSi A/T
1994 Impreza Wagon 5M/T
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Flat paint is impossible to keep clean. If you want the effect without it looking like shit after a short time and with the ability to keep it clean somewhat, you can go with a semi-gloss or satin black.

These cars look really good in gunmetal gray. I forget who had one on here like that, but it was really nice.

I always liked the dark shade of black-based Italian red used sometimes in the 50s as an alternate to the yellow-based reds that have persisted. I think a sedan would look great in that, too.

I'm considering painting my own design to look like unpainted aluminum, but I think that's an expensive process.

I thought of a new take today on the played out flames people keep doing—a scorched pattern, as if the engine had actually been on fire and scorched the paint around the hood and back of the front fender line. I don't think it would work well on these cars though. More something for an old hot rod where it has vents and such for the scorch marks to come from.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
TurnNburn
Second Gear

Post by TurnNburn »

World Rally Blue FTW!!! (Sonic Blue code #74F)
1990 NA 2.2 Open Light rally car
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

is it a sleeper or do you want people to think twice about trying to race
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
92ss satinsvoice wrote:LOL! that block was like F*** THIS! IM OUT!
mike-tracy wrote:Word. I'd love to get my hands on one of those trannies, but I just can't stomach the cost
Florin1
Fourth Gear

Post by Florin1 »

My car is dark gray. "Gun metal"
1994 Legacy Sport Sedan.
1991 Legacy Sport Sedan.
x2hawt4ux
First Gear

Post by x2hawt4ux »

ya i like florins car ive drooled over the pics. i want a sleeper for sure. thats why i love these cars, fast four door family car. i thought about world rally blue but i saw a pic of a legacy that color and i didnt like it. so something sleeperish. also are there any stock colors available to JDM land only? the thing about flat black is that it will fade over time so id want something with a little gloss. maybe matte black? my original plan was to go flat black all the way my wheels are all ready flat black and i was gonig to smoke my tail lights and the red part that says legacy on the trunk lid. but im not sold on that yet. i dont want to be a ricer.
92 turbo legacy: RWD W58 SWAP, td04, 3"tbe, mbc, fmic, wrx brakes/hubs, wrx seats, welded 4.11, fcd, drift steering wheel, Drifting Stickers
Grayguy
Second Gear

Post by Grayguy »

Gun metal sounds good, my friend had a GC painted gunmetal and it looked badass. I'm going to hopefully be repainting mine 100% pure white, no addatives like all the OEM whites do.
92' SS: SOLD
98' 2.5GT SOLD, bought back, new stupid build in the works.
98' 2.5 GT-rx :bought not built
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Matte black and satin black and flat black are all the same thing. No gloss paint that fades and stains with every bird shit dropping it encounters. You will hate it after not long at all.

I would go dark silver or dark gun metal if it were mine. Or a nice pearl white isn't bad, like mine lol.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
Grayguy
Second Gear

Post by Grayguy »

I hear the term satin black used to describe semi-gloss black a lot, which would be fine, but having had a flat black legacy, Don't do flat if you ever want it to look nice.
92' SS: SOLD
98' 2.5GT SOLD, bought back, new stupid build in the works.
98' 2.5 GT-rx :bought not built
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Satin is not the same thing. I used a satin clear coat on my bike because flat would be impossible to keep clean. It works even if the effect is a little shiny for a military theme, but definitely not as shiny as gloss would be (especially after polishing it, which I shouldn't have done). The names used can vary, but there are definite levels of gloss that measure reflectivity. I imagine any paint shop would be able to help with that.
Last edited by evolutionmovement on Fri May 06, 2011 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
SWRT
Third Gear

Post by SWRT »

I've wanted to paint mine this color blue forever. Pretty sure this is the WRB I guess, but I'm not sure if this is the one you didnt like.
x2hawt4ux
First Gear

Post by x2hawt4ux »

im leaning towards gun metal, here are some picks of florins car. i would want maybe just a little darker.

click me
SWRT
Third Gear

Post by SWRT »

So what color did you end up painting it?
x2hawt4ux
First Gear

Post by x2hawt4ux »

flat black
Falken-18c
Second Gear

Post by Falken-18c »

LMAO...... i would have went with TBFK the dark royal purple sounds awsome like a midnight purple.... my car is black so i wanna find some pink rally mudflaps that says sti in black and i have a cover for centre rear lights thats black so i might put that on with subaru in pink across it and the flaps ill probly stick them out the side aways the problem is finding pink mudflaps also the subaru pink front emblem
Rubasu
First Gear

Post by Rubasu »

i say keep the stock color, unless u dont half ass it and paint the door jams, trunk and engine compartment. thats my opinion.
90 legacy Wagon LS Special, JDM closed deck 20g, custom 25d heads f/ metic motors, APS GC FMIC, 740cc, VF34, 4.11 F/D, Turboxs RFL blow off valve, now with piggyback.
94 Legacy SS R.I.P (parts car now for 90)
97 Legacy Outback (sold)
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I agree if you dont strip the entire car and paint everything then just repaint it stock color.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
x2hawt4ux
First Gear

Post by x2hawt4ux »

i did everything but the engine bay. it looks good we sprayed it in a booth. but its flat black so its not shiny new. its my drift car so i decided not to go too fancy on the paint job.