Safari Legacy Build...

Anything and Everything about the Body, from paint to undercoating and interior, including in-car entertainment (ICE).

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Legacy Rally Guy
Third Gear

Re: Safari Legacy Build...

Post by Legacy Rally Guy »

Updates!!! I finally got two days off, so I worked from noon on Tuesday until 9:00am on Wednesday. I like to do work in large chunks :)

-torque converter install
-engine install
-change trans filter and ATF fluid
-fresh oil, oil filter
-tidied up the inner fenders
-reinstalled the turn signals
-began work on the snorkel.

Found out:
1. My secondary fan does not turn on, popped open the lower dash, looks like someone tinkered with the harness a bit, and the fan is good, but not power from the harness. so I'm betting the secondary unit does come on, IF it's got power.. Possible causes are the fan relay is blown, so they hardwired the primary fan into the ignition set or There's a broken wire in the harness. and the hard-wiring was from something else.

2. Also found out my blower doesn't shut off completely, could be the result of the hardwiring.

3. In my manual, it calls my torque converter a "tolque converter" and that "I should check for leaking fruid." Hehe, I love Engrish!

Pictures of car, sorry, no bumper progress yet.

Starting to assemble things:

This is my ugly fender, so I dont mind trial fitment drilling on a whim...

My pan all cleaned up! The old fluid wasn't bad, but I wanted to keep the shiny new torque converter happy as possible... So she got a new filter and fluid.

Right before the first start:

After first drive. It does very well now and is starting to come together!

1991 Legacy N/A- Being built to withstand zombie apocalypse!
2004 WRX STi- (GT3076r, 850cc Deatchwerks, Unequal Length Headers, FMIC, Alum Driveshaft, Camber Kit, Daily Driver)
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

Sweet progress. Oh, to have that much time to myself.
Have you done, or are you planning to do the power mode switch and/or the AWD lock-up switch mods?
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
Originalcyn wrote:Apparently everyone hates Gabe.
Danny-G
Fourth Gear

Post by Danny-G »

Power mode mod ftw! Just sayin lol. Are you gonna do an outback lift?
Danny
biggreen96 wrote:well get out there and smash that geo around and get comfy.
1993 Legacy LS Awd: lifted, 4eat, higher mileage, and dirty.
1994 Legacy Turbo wagon: rwd, 4eat, and a faint knock..
1992 Legacy postal: bone stock, 4eat, blown reverse.
SWRT
Third Gear

Post by SWRT »

Seems like it would be a bad idea to have it a 50/50 split when it's not
supposed to. You dont really need that in my opinion. I've driven through
some pretty tough stuff and let me rear diff do it's own work and have
yet to get stuck in anything.

An Outback lift requires more than just the struts, right? I think it messes
with your CV axles and wheel bearings if you dont get the trailing arms and
stuff if I remember correctly. Not 100% on that though.
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

Correct on the Outback lift. Subframe spacers, trailing arm mounts and other parts are needed to make it work properly.

I've used the transfer lock in the snow and its fun. Only got stuck when the skidplate pushed the car up enough for the tires to lose traction, but I was still able to back out. Just gotta remember to turn it off before getting back on the pavement. It comes in handy in the right situation.
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
Danny-G
Fourth Gear

Post by Danny-G »

Don't really need the spacers. From what I've gathered, you only need the struts and outback trailing arms. Spacers are optional, they only help lessen the cv joint angle by lowering the rear subframe, lower the front x member, and lower the drivetrain from what I've gathered. If I've read correct, the trailing arms aren't even totally required. All they do is center the rear wheels in the fender vs. the stock ones having them a little closer to the front. In my opinion, I would rather go without the spacers to keep the ground clearance, I'e parked next to outbacks to see if they sit higher and they don't sit much higher than my sedan.
Danny
Legacy Rally Guy
Third Gear

beatersubi wrote:Sweet progress. Oh, to have that much time to myself.
Have you done, or are you planning to do the power mode switch and/or the AWD lock-up switch mods?
I dunno, I'm more interested in getting a LSD for it :3

I haven't looked into it.. But the dash lights marked "Manual" and "power" are for? This is the first auto- scoob I've ever owned, and I've only driven it about 15 mins :P
2004 WRX STi- (GT3076r, 850cc Deatchwerks, Unequal Length Headers, FMIC, Alum Driveshaft, Camber Kit, Daily Driver)
Legacy Rally Guy
Third Gear

beatersubi wrote:Sweet progress. Oh, to have that much time to myself.

Well, it required me to abandon all for a day, I stayed up for a good long while too hehe.
Danny-G
Fourth Gear

Post by Danny-G »

Power mode is just a more agressive shift map that normally only comes on when you floor it quick. I used to slam the throttle to the floor to get power mode but now I just push a switch and it turns it on. For power mode, check this thread out. http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic. ... 7&start=25
Danny
SWRT
Third Gear

Post by SWRT »

Actually if you double tap the throttle power mode will come on too. And manual mode is for when you're manually shifting the auto and you dont want it to shift into the next gear. Honestly, if you're going for speed offroad it's best to just leave it in 3rd gear anyway. I cant tell you how many times I've been adjusting the throttle mid-turn and kicked it into power mode by mistake...it's pretty uncomfortable when you're not expecting it.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

SWRT wrote:Actually if you double tap the throttle power mode will come on too. And manual mode is for when you're manually shifting the auto and you dont want it to shift into the next gear.

That is not correct. The manual button just keeps the transmission from going into 1st gear when the transmission is in the 2 or 3 position. Here's pretty much the same blurb and a little more info on my site

http://www.surrealmirage.com/subaru/tra ... nualbutton
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Legacy Rally Guy
Third Gear

Legacy777 wrote:
SWRT wrote:Actually if you double tap the throttle power mode will come on too. And manual mode is for when you're manually shifting the auto and you dont want it to shift into the next gear.

That is not correct. The manual button just keeps the transmission from going into 1st gear when the transmission is in the 2 or 3 position. Here's pretty much the same blurb and a little more info on my site

I see, I figured that the manual was something like a down-shift lock. It makes sense that it only happens in 2nd or the 3rd gear location.

Thank you for the link!

Oh and you gave what would be system-normal for the power light, but what indicates the numeric values to get each trouble code? does it flash so many times?

thanks!

-Ken
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Yes the power light will blink a specific amount of times. The longer blinks indicate a tens place, and shorter blinks indicate a ones place. For example, if there are 2 long blinks followed by 3 short blinks, that would be code 23.

Make sense?
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
SWRT
Third Gear

Post by SWRT »

Legacy777 wrote:

Ah, I see. I've never used it myself. I had a friend that used to use it
and that's what he was telling me it did. My bad guys!
Legacy Rally Guy
Third Gear

Legacy777 wrote:Yes the power light will blink a specific amount of times. The longer blinks indicate a tens place, and shorter blinks indicate a ones place. For example, if there are 2 long blinks followed by 3 short blinks, that would be code 23.

Make sense?
Yup! Thanks
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

Power mode mod is definitely worth it. Makes a automatic car damn near fun to drive. Easier than naming a dishonest politician too. Takes ~15min if you use the manual button wire.
Legacy Rally Guy
Third Gear

More updates:

Got the cooling situation under control... Turns out it was a burnt out fuse for the secondary fan and a stuck thermostat...

Here's a shot of what I've done so far...

-installed a roof rack rail
-fitted the push bar
-trimmed the front bumper

I've decided to not mount the tent to the car, but rather, make a place for it... It's easy enough and light enough, setting it up, takes little to no time...

Another shot, showing bumper trimming...

Another shot to get scaling:

And up close...
SWRT
Third Gear

Post by SWRT »

That bamboo on there is really BA, dude. Go run into something and see how it holds up haha
Legacy Rally Guy
Third Gear

SWRT wrote:That bamboo on there is really BA, dude. Go run into something and see how it holds up haha

Actually it's quite flexible up to a point and very strong, I honestly dont think it'll break too easily :P But yeah, it's a bit more brittle than steel, but I've some hidden supports coming soon and some skid plating...
Danny-G
Fourth Gear

Post by Danny-G »

Which fuse was bad for the fan? I've been trying to figure out why my secondary fan will blow the fuse everytime it comes on. It always blows the underhood one too.
Danny
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

I was picturing the bamboo push bar more vertical and with the top bar even with the bottom of the headlights. You don't want to compromise the approach angle though.
Pop-up tent roof might've been better in theory, also. There isn't a whole lot of 'living room' in a sedan to begin with. Especially considering that neither the front or rear seats fold all the way flat.
Legacy Rally Guy
Third Gear

Danny-G wrote:Which fuse was bad for the fan? I've been trying to figure out why my secondary fan will blow the fuse everytime it comes on. It always blows the underhood one too.

Hmm, might check the fan, replace the load with something else that's 12V and similar amperage.. It should be a 20Amp fuse in the secondary unit... Also, check for the fan schematics, it's a fairly simple circuit, so the troubleshooting should be easy. You could just have a bad fan. Mine got packed with snow last year and blew the fuse...
Legacy Rally Guy
Third Gear

beatersubi wrote:I was picturing the bamboo push bar more vertical and with the top bar even with the bottom of the headlights. You don't want to compromise the approach angle though.
Pop-up tent roof might've been better in theory, also. There isn't a whole lot of 'living room' in a sedan to begin with. Especially considering that neither the front or rear seats fold all the way flat.
yeah, I wanted the approach angle to be the best it could be, until I relocate the radiator...

The roof tent wasn't really a pop-up-roof, but really a separate room all together:

http://www.aguntherphotography.com/file ... hybrid.jpg

But I like to be able to put it NEAR the ground, but not exactly on it... my tent...

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas- ... 714344.uts (Mine is the Double Deluxe Tent, but didn't include the milf...)

Oh, I also started working on the holders for:

Machete
Chainsaw *Poulon - Wild Thing 40cc*
Folding Shovel
Zombie Axe *a five foot axe handle with a shingle hammer head*
Sand Tracks
Sleeping Bags
Fresh water resevior
Compressor and ballast tank

I'm tidying up:

Offroad Roof Lights
Roof Rack
Snorkel
Bamboo Light Bar

Developing:

Spare tool/parts rack under rear package tray
Fireproof safe for pistol/important stuff
Shotgun and/or AR15 rack
Fridge
Solar panels/secondary charging system if a/c wont hold a vaccum. *leaks, but might just be orings from the rebuild.
Danny-G
Fourth Gear

Post by Danny-G »

Fyi, an O.E.M GL wagon roof rack will fit the sedan roof. I've done the measurments and its a tight fit but it will fit. Like a '89 or so wagon, I plan on adding one to my car and adding lights to one of the cross bars too. :) And I switched the fans to test them and its not the fan, its something in the wiring. I did go in the mud pit last year at WCSS and that packed the fans with mud but I cleaned all the mud off the next day. It could be the thermostat like you had so I'll have to look into that and if that doesn't fix it then I guess its wiring to figure out. Oh joy, wiring the one thing I don't like to do unless totally required. lol
Danny
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

What about something like the earthroamer?
(pic is link)