Lug nuts coming loose?!?!?

Where the power meets the road.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

antslegggy
First Gear

Lug nuts coming loose?!?!?

Post by antslegggy »

Hey guys, my 91 ss has been having an issue with it's passenger side front wheels lug nuts. They seem to be coming loose about every week, not sure what the problem is, about a month ago I was driving down the road and I was hearing this weird rubbing sound coming from the passenger side front wheel that was congruent with wheel speed. So I took the wheel off and when I did I noticed two of the lugs were loose, so I loosened them all and torqued them all back (and in the proper bolt pattern ) and the noise went away, and about a week Later the noise started again , at first only under breaking , then all the time . Took the wheel off and looked at everything, looks fine. And I threw the wheel back on and torqued the lugs ( in the bolt pattern ) and it was perfectly fine for about another week . . Same thing another week later. :/ kinda confused. Help please...
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Re: Lug nuts coming loose?!?!?

Post by evolutionmovement »

Sounds like the holes might have been opened up from when the nuts were loose, you have an odd set of nuts on that wheel with a different seat angle than the wheel, or you aren't torquing them enough.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

What are you torquing them to?
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
antslegggy
First Gear

Post by antslegggy »

Not sure what I'm torquing it to, I'm pretty much leaning on the wrench with my whole body, is there any fix to it? Do I need new lugs myb , or is it worse like a new wheel?
antslegggy
First Gear

Post by antslegggy »

And I have the stock lugs on there . Stock rims as well
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Are there chewed up metal bits around the holes? If you're not sure if they've been rounded out, take off one of the good wheels and compare. If the holes have been rounded out, you'll need a new wheel unless there are some slightly oversized diameter lugs you can get to replace that side, but I would think that would be much more of a PITA to do than just replacing the wheel. Stock wheels are cheap—I'm sure someone has one lying around.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
antslegggy
First Gear

Post by antslegggy »

I looked and there aren't any bits of chewed up metal. I'll post something when I get home. I'll pop off the wheel and stick my head in the wheel well and look around . Thanks guys
Bheinen74
Fourth Gear

Post by Bheinen74 »

Threads inside the nuts messed up, stripped? get new lugnuts
Neighbor messing with you loosening them?
stripped wheel stud? replace them
Use a good torque wrench and 85 ft pound.

thats about all it could be.
91 Legacy Sport Sedan 4eat
91crx si 165k
91 Civic RT4WD manual trans 168k
91crx Si 40.5k
85 BRAT Gl 140
97 SVX 74k
antslegggy
First Gear

Post by antslegggy »

Ok, I'll look into that. Thanks guys !