Hyundai vs. 13 year older Subaru

This is for non-Subaru related topics. Keep it realistic please.

Moderator: Moderators

evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Hyundai vs. 13 year older Subaru

Post by evolutionmovement »

My ex's Elantra just had the control arm go on her. Rotted through. Luckily, she was in town traffic and didn't get hurt or damage anything else. Apparently, this is a recall with fatalities behind it. The front control arms on my wagon had barely any surface rust on them, and only when abraded by gravel roads and such. Of course, now I have the aluminum arms, but it goes to show the difference between quality and we-don't-give-a-fuck engineering. OK, so I didn't have much to say other than a brief rant, but I saw this thing—almost paper thin metal. I'm surprised it had held up to that point. It was like an old soup can had been holding the bottom of the wheel on.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
Deride
Second Gear

Re: Hyundai vs. 13 year older Subaru

Post by Deride »

FYI Subaru has a large recall for steel control arms on 02+ imprezas in the rust belt states. At least they did a safety recall instead of saying "f-em" though.
2002 Impreza 2.0RS 6MT
2001 Impreza 2.5RS 5MT (winter beater)
1992 Jeep Cherokee
1994 SS 5MT RIP
1991 SS 5MT *SOLD*
1996 Legacy Outback 5MT *SOLD*
asotwavb
First Gear

Post by asotwavb »

I fix those things all day, shitty pizza...

Right on though with the engineering part! My subaru's are tanks! Even my doors close easier and "cleaner" thank any of my buddy's cars!
1992 Legacy Sport
Apex3
Fourth Gear

Post by Apex3 »

Thank god this wasn't a kill story like I was expecting, lol.

I like this car, but some of the things Subaru does is just :smt021 Luckily it's mostly in the placement of things and not so much in the longevity.