S.O.S Leggy Gurus Any ideas

Headlights to tailights and everything in between.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

turbo-baron
In Neutral

S.O.S Leggy Gurus Any ideas

Post by turbo-baron »

Alright 1992 leggy SS Heres the deal. The guy I bought it off of wired the starter up to the rear defrost so in order for the car to start the button needs to be pushed in which was kinda cool....untill now. My car is currently sitting at the bank because the f&ckin thing has no power to the defrost (no light) and therefore nothing to the starter. I replaced the 20a fuse under the dash and still have nothing. Any ideas? I just walked half an hour home in the rain and am in a rather poopy mood. Is there another fuse that may be the culprit? Help!!!!
SUBYLUV871
Second Gear

Re: S.O.S Leggy Gurus Any ideas

Post by SUBYLUV871 »

just no defrost light or no lights at all? maybe try to jump the sylanoid with it pushed in. that might over ride it. un hook the battery maybe reset. or tap on it maybe somthing tripped in the button. or the button is shot. was the fuse popped? thats a bummer. good luck.
Cheep quality aint good, Good quality aint cheep
1998 legacy l wagon
1988 ford ranger prerunner (my baby
)
1994 legacy GT non turbo wagon
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

There's the big question of how the previous owner made that wiring modification. There are way more "wrong" ways to do it than "right" ways.

However, we can try to just diagnose why pressing the rear defrost button doesn't turn on the light on the button. The most obvious guess for me would be the relay. That's especially likely if the guy didn't really know what he was doing and was forcing that relay to carry much more current than it's rated for.

There are three relays at the top of the fuse box under the dash. I'm talking about the rectangular plastic ones actually in the fuse box (there are several other relays in the area). They're a little hard to get to; they're above the various wiring harness connectors on the fusebox. The leftmost one is the defroster relay. The middle one is the parking lights relay and the rightmost one is the fan relay.

I'm pretty sure all three of these relays are the same, so you could try swapping them around to see if it makes the problem go away.

Also, just to get your car home, you can jump the starter solenoid directly. Get couple of meters of some wire, 14-gauge or so. Crimp a 1/4" quick-disconnect on one end. Bring it with you to the bank. Unclip the small wire from the starter solenoid and put your wire in its place. Turn the ignition on, and carefully touch the other end of the wire to the battery's positive terminal. That should start the engine. Then you can do the rest of the troubleshooting at home.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
turbo-baron
In Neutral

Post by turbo-baron »

Thanks for all the help guys! I went back and while I was upside down in the front seat checking the fuses I found a little switch tucked up under the dash...flicked it and she fired right up.. :l My rear defrost no longer works but at least it runs!!
92wagon
Second Gear

Post by 92wagon »

good luck!
1992 Legacy L Wagon 4WD Auto 219K
1994 Legacy SunSport Wagon FWD 249K
1994 Legacy Ti 4WD Wagon 5speed 182K (162K on engine)
1991 Legacy L 4WD Wagon 5speed 202k
AWD_addict
Fifth Gear

Post by AWD_addict »

If you want to get the defrost switch working again, you'll probably need to replace the bulb in it. That bulb acts in series with the circuit to keep the switch on, triggering the relay. You can get new bulbs at Radioshack.
90 L+ wgn