Tuning options

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

slaytalera
In Neutral

Tuning options

Post by slaytalera »

Hey guys, im looking to do some upgrades to my SS after the new year. getting a MBC and upping the boost, putting on an ATW intercooler, and probably throw on a TD04. My question is how can i tune to get the most out of the car? Im not really interested in these "rob tunes" or chip mods, as my mod pattern doesnt fall inline with doing set mods and sticking to them, any suggestions?
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Re: Tuning options

Post by kimokalihi »

Your only option is piggy back or stand alone management. $$$
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
slaytalera
In Neutral

Post by slaytalera »

I figured as much. But anything in particular? Ive been reading that PP6s are hit or miss and people seem to have trouble with them
asotwavb
First Gear

Post by asotwavb »

While on this topic, who has luck with an SAFC?

For what its worth, i have a wideband, and an AVCR which monitor duty cyle, and i love it for monitoring.

Being able to look at your A/F ratio on a graph while setting boost is very useful :)
1992 Legacy Sport
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Piggy backs are going to give you mixed results. Some report them working fine, others report having issues. Stand alone can give you good power gains, but a good stand alone with features to provide similar functionality as the stock ECU will run you $1,000 - $2,000. That is actually the cheap part. Installation and tuning is what can get you, especially if you don't have someone locally that can do the tuning and do it properly. Most aftermarket stand alones are MAP based, which if you make any changes, causes you to need to update and tweak the tune. MAF based tuning is more flexible with changes/modifications.

I'm running a Link G3 Plus ECU that's been upgraded to the G4 firmware. Other options are Haltec, E8 was another option I was looking at. Vipec is another, but is essentially a rebranded Link ECU.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I think florin is selling a hydra nemesis for $750.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/pts/2734988418.html
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
slaytalera
In Neutral

Post by slaytalera »

Legacy777 wrote:Piggy backs are going to give you mixed results. Some report them working fine, others report having issues. Stand alone can give you good power gains, but a good stand alone with features to provide similar functionality as the stock ECU will run you $1,000 - $2,000. That is actually the cheap part. Installation and tuning is what can get you, especially if you don't have someone locally that can do the tuning and do it properly. Most aftermarket stand alones are MAP based, which if you make any changes, causes you to need to update and tweak the tune. MAF based tuning is more flexible with changes/modifications.

I'm running a Link G3 Plus ECU that's been upgraded to the G4 firmware. Other options are Haltec, E8 was another option I was looking at. Vipec is another, but is essentially a rebranded Link ECU.
Awesome, this is exactly what i was looking for....i might try a pp6 and see how it goes, other wise ill speak to some local tuners and see what they say