Transmission Went out

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

the94subaru
First Gear

Transmission Went out

Post by the94subaru »

Hi I knew it was coming but it finally happened, car won't shift into 3rd or 4th. I have a 94 legacy turbo auto, I just found a local yard has one a 92 turbo but it has 190,000 miles on the car and they want $400 which I think is ridiculous. It's still in the car and they don't let you pull it yourself so I think that's where some of the cost is coming in. I need some advice on what to do, I was going to try the 5 speed swap but I need this car for winter. I can't rely on my camaro to get me to work in the winter. Should I pay for that very used transmission or what should I do I need some advice. Thank you in advance.
wtdash
Fifth Gear

Re: Transmission Went out

Post by wtdash »

The Turbo 4EAT's are somewhat rare, which adds to the price- plus it'll have a warranty. If you get the one from the yard ensure the car has body damage otherwise it may be there BECAUSE the tranny died. The turbo trans are stronger than the non-turbo, but obviously you know they're not bullet-proof - as do I.

If you're running stock boost, and need a quick and cheap fix, you could find a lower mileage non-turbo from a '92-94 and they'll work too. You can use the flex-plate/TC from your turbo trans or make sure you get them from the other trans. I also recommend getting the TCU from the non-turbo car as you may get better shifting w/a TCU that matches the trans. The wiring - 2 plugs - is plug-n-play.

Or if you want a challenge and are adept @ car repair do the 5-speed swap. The 3.90 FD ratio is the limiting factor in finding a 5-speed trans. Expect it to take twice as long as you think, unless you've done 'em before.

But since it's winter and your Camaro doesn't like snow, you may need the quickest option for now.

GL,
Td
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'90 BJ EJ22T/DOHC & 5speed swap - SOLD
'04 FXT, Forged internals, VF39, STI TMIC, Cobb AP- SOLD
'93 Legacy SS - 5-speed, SOLD :-(
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
the94subaru
First Gear

Post by the94subaru »

thanks for the advice, Yeah I need the quick lol when I haven't done something before it takes me forever. I probably could do it but it would probably be spring by the time I'm done. They said the car's in there because the engine blew but I don't know for sure. I've drove over 2 hours away before to get parts for this car and to know there was one less than 10 miles away this whole time was a real kick in the pants lol. I'll probably end up buying the used one then cause it will fit in with no issues and be back on the road quickly. Is there anything I can do to the used one to make it less likely to fail right away like easy to replace wear parts?
wtdash
Fifth Gear

Post by wtdash »

The stuff that wears it mostly internal and not easily replaced.

Something I'd be looking @ is the rear transfer clutches. They wear and cause torque bind and delayed AWD engagement. You'd have to pull the rear transfer case off and do some work on 'em. There is a post on the USMB site if you want to tackle that job. If you do open it up you'd also want to replace the Duty C solenoid that controls the AWD. If you don't want to bother w/it, you CAN service this w/the trans in the car (that's how I did it), but it's a PITA.

Otherwise, I can only suggest replacing the seals on the transmission input shaft (?)...that the TC rides on, which is all I did. Go look on the USMB site - for more specifics.

Since you'll have access w/the trans out, I'd plan on either replacing w/the newer part or resealing the rear separator plate. There are many other useful tips on the Beer Garage site. And don't touch the rear main seal unless you're sure it's leaking as it's also a PITA to replace... as usually it's the rear sep plate.

GL,
Td
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'90 BJ EJ22T/DOHC & 5speed swap - SOLD
'04 FXT, Forged internals, VF39, STI TMIC, Cobb AP- SOLD
'93 Legacy SS - 5-speed, SOLD :-(
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T