Eg33 92 legacy ss rwd

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

sleepinsuby
First Gear

Eg33 92 legacy ss rwd

Post by sleepinsuby »

Eg33 drift legacy
I have a 92sw legacy with a 3.3 swap currenty runnig and inspected till then end of the month. I just picked up a 92 legacy ss with no motor and a 07 wrx rwd trans in it. After sourcing some turbo parts for a ej22e turbo build iv been told by a couple guys that subarus that go sideways have bad oil starvation problems at the turbo. This brings me to the eg33. The swap in the wagon pulls like a freight train and after 2k rpm the eg spins up to 6k like a rocket. Iv beat factory wrx with this car. I feel the eg33 would make a great motor for drift just wanted to see what everyones .02 on the matter is.
94SS full cage 2.2 hybrid build with 04 2.5i heads,JIC coilovers,jdm 4pots,vlsd,jdm TD05 16g ,top mount IC,950 injectors,running ms3x em
91ss ej22t 110k,rebuilt heads,new seals,delta220 cams,td04,wrx top mount,wrx flywheel,wrx trans
92L drift project h6 rwd
subytech
Second Gear

Re: Eg33 92 legacy ss rwd

Post by subytech »

Sounds like a cool idea, very doable IMO, just make sure you search "cooling issues" with the EG33, they don't do very well if the stock cooling set up is used. But there is alot of good info on how to fix this (the guys at rs25.com have alot of info). Mostly it has to do with thermostat placement, but this is relatively easy to fix.
92 Legacy Turbo, 5sp MT, Early Large CC 20G heads, Ported custom clocked td04, Cobb catted DP, Injen SS 3" exhaust, Turbosmart MBC @ 10psi, Apexi 20g intake, custom FMIC, Fidanza 11lb flywheel, stock 05 WRX clutch
Binford
Third Gear

Post by Binford »

Hahaha! That's the goal for my EG33 swap in my postal wagon, Drift Car! :D

The overheating issue is mainly extended high rpm usage, so definitely something to check into for drift use. :wink:
'91 5MT SS-TD04, WRX TMIC, Bosal twin dump, Spec LW flywheel/pressure plate, FCD, Walbro fuel pump-RIP
'93 5MT N/A wagon, over 400,000 miles!-Gone, parts lived on
'94 Auto SS-vf24, WRX TMIC, Bosal twin dump, Meth kit coming soon!-Now RWD!
BoostedSubie
Second Gear

Post by BoostedSubie »

I read somewhere by using a universal thermostat housing in the top radiator hose instead of the bottom hose along with a better aftermarket radiator will help a lot with the EG.
93 Black Legacy SS
93 Legacy
97 Outback- EJ25D/22e frankenmotor
97 Green Outback
97 Red Legacy GT
98 Silver Legacy GT- Pikes Peak build, built EJ22t/205, GT3076r
99 Black Legacy GT wagon
sleepinsuby
First Gear

Post by sleepinsuby »

Ya the 92 Legy wagon the 6 is in now Iv been driving now for a year and have over 8k on the swap. Havnt had any heating issues so far except the stock svx rad taking a crap. I'm looking into somekind of custom rad to beter fit with little cutting and Deff somthing aluminum. Im also looking at a big oil cooler with upgraded oil pump of some sort.
94SS full cage 2.2 hybrid build with 04 2.5i heads,JIC coilovers,jdm 4pots,vlsd,jdm TD05 16g ,top mount IC,950 injectors,running ms3x em
91ss ej22t 110k,rebuilt heads,new seals,delta220 cams,td04,wrx top mount,wrx flywheel,wrx trans
92L drift project h6 rwd
subytech
Second Gear

Post by subytech »

BoostedSubie wrote:I read somewhere by using a universal thermostat housing in the top radiator hose instead of the bottom hose along with a better aftermarket radiator will help a lot with the EG.
This is the best fix for the overheating issue. Like I said if you want part numbers there are a couple of excellent threads on rs25.com I would recomend searching their. There is also an awsome write up on an Austrialian website that I'll try and find on the root causes on the EG33 overheating issue.
92 Legacy Turbo, 5sp MT, Early Large CC 20G heads, Ported custom clocked td04, Cobb catted DP, Injen SS 3" exhaust, Turbosmart MBC @ 10psi, Apexi 20g intake, custom FMIC, Fidanza 11lb flywheel, stock 05 WRX clutch
sleepinsuby
First Gear

Post by sleepinsuby »

The plan is to pull the swap out of the wagon do a compression test on the motor. From there maybe head gaskets but Deff new plugs ( can't get to them when the motors in the car) all new vac hoses ALL of them. Test coilpacks to check condition , timing belt and remove the stock thermostat and a mild head exhaust port. Then pull the haneses ya that's right there is the svx and legacy harness merged in the wagon it's in pull all that and go thro it to fix any issues that may be there. Then into the ss it goes. Still looking into a custom aluminum rad that will fit kind of how a front mount fits to make room for the motor without chopping the hell out of the rad support like done on the wagon. Top hose thrmo with manual temp gauge. Also a manual oil press on block and a electric sender oil press hooked to a warning light set for 10psi at the oil cooler that will probably be top mounted. Down the road I'd like to do a mega squirt set on the car as well but first I need to get my ej22t/2.5i hybrid to run on the ms3
92L drift project h6 rwd
subytech
Second Gear

Post by subytech »

Sounds like you have it all fugured out! I'd say go for it, with the torque if that motor I bet that would be an absolute blast in a RWD car, even if it is supposed to have front drive axles : )
biggreen96
Third Gear

Post by biggreen96 »

You WILL overheat it drifting. Enlarge the lower rad outlet and waterpump inlet to 50mm and get the Mezier thermo housing. Unless you like going out for 2 laps, pitting, waiting for it to cool off, doing 2 more laps....
http://www.dirtyimpreza.com/forums/show ... hp?t=12965 good stuff starts around post 200 or so.

Either way, make it happen! A RWD EG33 Legacy will be rad!
You have to drive and you and have to try if you want the win, you don't achieve anything if you just cruise around - Jari-Matti Latvala
Long live the forums! Down with FB!
sleepinsuby
First Gear

Post by sleepinsuby »

Thanks biggreen iv read thro that hole thread 2 times already and had forgotten about the lower rad hose mod. I'll have to talk to my machinist and see what we can do the rad should be no problem since it will all be custom shooting for a 3core all aluminum. I'll also be doing the upper rad hose thermostat mod and deleting the factory one and shimming the water pump. Still Figuring out if I can shim the oil pimp to bump oil press up some and I think I'm going to run a bigger oil filter just to hold more oil in the system.
92L drift project h6 rwd
sleepinsuby
First Gear

Post by sleepinsuby »

The current swap in the wagon can be seen here. http://m984.photobucket.com/albumview/a ... .html?o=18
As you can see the rad support is chopped to fit the factory svx rad. I want to clean this up and also want the swap in the ss shell so perfect winter project with all the parts and a chance to freshen up the eg. Pics of the ss body being used Are numbers 9-11
92L drift project h6 rwd