injector upgrade?

Headlights to tailights and everything in between.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

ghia nut
First Gear

injector upgrade?

Post by ghia nut »

Hey guys, this may be a newb question but I'm usually a carburated kind of guy. I know a little about injectors etc and that stock ej22t injectors are 330cc. My question is is that I know I will eventually want to mod this engine, not a full race engine, but delta cams, slightly larger turbo, rob tuned ecu, and that's really about it, 1800 lbs VW ftw. Any ways I'm going through and cleaning up the intake manifold as this was a northern engine and just tydiying up and fixing corrosion which leads me to the injector question. I really would like to keep the engine mostly stock, and yes I will be keeping the sohc heads, due to the car its going into. So I have taken the injectors out of the fuel rails and common sense in addition to friends have told me that I need to get the injectors rebuilt, if this was a Carb it would all ready be done. I know given my ideas for a mildly hopped up ej22t bigger injectors would be a good idea. So I guess given where I want to go with this engine should I

A: get the stock pink side feeds rebuilt
B: just buy new 400+CC side feeds

Can I use larger side feeds with the stock setup though? Its going to be stock for a while as I still need to build a car for it.
Falken-18c
Second Gear

Re: injector upgrade?

Post by Falken-18c »

22t injecters are 370 but alot of people run the 440 greytops i would sugest go 440s are a little bigger i know that your not going all out but you probly still be maxing out the stock pink ones i dont know though
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

If that's all you're doing, have the stock injectors cleaned and call it a day. No sense upgrading injectors for no reason.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
ghia nut
First Gear

Post by ghia nut »

so if I want to run say 12 to 15 lbs boost...
Im just wondering if the 440s will work with the stock ecu out of the box and if so would it run rich or what?
Will these even fit the stock 22t intake manifold?
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

They'll fit but you really need proper engine management and a wideband oxygen sensor and AFR gauge to make sure you're not running lean.

You'll also need an intercooler if you're going to be turning up the boost. It becomes a big domino effect where you need all these upgrades and it starts costing a lot of money quick and you'll soon want more.

It's easier, more reliable and much cheaper just to stay stock unless you're up for the challenge.
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
ghia nut
First Gear

Post by ghia nut »

got an AWIC ready.
I think what I will do is stay stock for now, go ahead an give the engine the attention it needs and then go from there once the engine is running again.

seems like I missed some cooll tuning stuff, now that revtronix is gone, Vikash is no longer doing his scanner tool, and Rob Tune ej22t ecu went missing :(
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

True but I think you can still use a Rob Tuned EJ20G ECU.
ghia nut
First Gear

Post by ghia nut »

any info on where or how I can get these pink injectors back up to snuff?
Im pretty sure I need all new gaskets. The fuel filters most likely need to be cleaned as well.
Falken-18c
Second Gear

Post by Falken-18c »

its weird i guess size isnt every thing lol because my injecters out of my 92na red tops there 270 i think and there bigger then the pink 370s
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Just to add.....the stock ECU may be able to run the 440's, but they will be rather rich, and you will be down on power compared to the stock 370's since the stock ECU can't take advantage of the extra flow.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm