kimokalihi's 91 SS EJ20 Swap

Information about specific car builds.

Moderator: Moderators

kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Re: kimokalihi's 91 SS EJ20 Swap

Post by kimokalihi »

I had to read that twice to understand it. Is that schwinn turbocharged? I'm blaming the stupid WRX/Forester hybrid and possibly tired piston rings for the low numbers.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

are those numbers from your dyno app?
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Nope. Mustang dyno at south puget sound community college in oly. I have some videos and printouts I need to upload still. I figure its probably pushing 240 at the crank. That's not too bad but it definitely shows that this low compression hybrid engine sucks.
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Proof.

The graph may or may not give any information. I guess they had to adjust something when they did the first run with 218hp and then they wound up with 194 on 2 or 3 other runs. I don't know what they had wrong the first time. The graph is going to be quite a bit off being it's seeing 24hp higher and 26tq higher and is reaching peak hp at 5,100 RPM and peak tq @ 3,350 vs 4,650 and 3,850.

I don't know how accurate these numbers are because they couldn't hook the computer up to my ECU to get my RPM because they only had a hookup for OBD2 and they don't have the inductive clamp to clamp onto the spark plug wire to read RPM. The instructor told me the car was at 2,100 RPM when the dyno was reading 2,000 RPM measured by the speed of the rollers.

They did not have a turbo legacy in the system so I told them the closest thing would be an 02 WRX which is why it says WRX on the papers. I'm not sure what information this gives them but I believe weight and maybe gear ratios might be part of it.

They also had trouble with the dyno at first and made me cringe a bit because when they first tried to dyno it the front wheels did not move and the rear wheels were reluctant but they gave it enough gas to get them spinning pretty fast. This happened several times and each time was hard to watch. They made me sit in a room behind closed doors and watch through a window. Then they came in and asked me if I was sure it was AWD. Ha! I told them they must have it set in 2WD mode because it you could see the car jump a bit trying to spin the front rollers. After a while they found a switch in the box on the wall that locks one set of rollers. :roll:
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

My friend did his Integra GSR after mine and pulled 146 HP with 109 WTQ.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

Kimo your car is so clean. sorry you didnt get the numbers you were looking for.

Are you sure your car has a turbo lol
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
92ss satinsvoice wrote:LOL! that block was like F*** THIS! IM OUT!
mike-tracy wrote:Word. I'd love to get my hands on one of those trannies, but I just can't stomach the cost
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

lol pretty sure it's still in there. I can't really hear it after installing that factory airbox but that little gauge inside my car reminds me that it's still working hard.
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

lol i was just making fun of the shop and how they thought that your car might not be awd.
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
92ss satinsvoice wrote:LOL! that block was like F*** THIS! IM OUT!
mike-tracy wrote:Word. I'd love to get my hands on one of those trannies, but I just can't stomach the cost
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

My first real experience driving the SS in 3" of snow...not diggin the summer tires one bit. Scary is a good word for it. The metro on all seasons was better than that! Jesus. It was all over the road and the ABS sucked bad at every stop. It still locked up the brakes a couple times. ABS=Garbage.

Now I wants snow tires. But then I need wheels with them too. GRRR. Money.
Mattheww044
Fourth Gear

Post by Mattheww044 »

yea i had my 18"s with track tires on, finally just found a set of all seasons, nothing special and only like 35% tread left, but I only paid $60 mounted and balanced so I can't complain. Gotta be better than potenzas on ice haha
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Yeah I bet. Good deal even though 35% tread sucks.
Mattheww044
Fourth Gear

Post by Mattheww044 »

Yea I just needed to get something on tere other than my jdm wheels on "track tires" haha.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

ABS keeps failing and locking up the tires causing the car to suddenly jerk to the left. I hate ABS. Then the ABS light came on and I think it disabled it until I turned the car off because I couldn't even feel it pulsing after that.

The car started smoking when I stopped to pick a friend up and I popped the hood to find white smoke pouring off my header wrap. Or maybe it was thick steam who knows. I found coolant puddled up beneath the intake manifold on top of the block and head on the passenger side. The majority of it seems to be right in front of the turbo.

Pissed about that. Literally days after removing my other vehicle from my insurance and now this shit. I hope it's just a hose.
sqc151
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by sqc151 »

that sucks, just pull the fuse for now on the abs so it doesnt make driving the car nerve racking. as for the coolant, hope its an easy fix.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Thanks. Me too. I'm going to try to get up early and deal with it. If it doesn't stop snowing sometime today I might have to call in to work. These tires are so damn bad in the snow that I am all over the lane driving straight and forget trying to stop the car in a reasonable time. It's dumping snow here now. There's like 3" on the road.
sqc151
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by sqc151 »

yea, we got freezing rain last night into this morning. thank god for a 4 car garage. even got the wifeys fxt in the garage now that my lgt is at the shop getting the engine put in.

definitly get some better tires on there soon.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Only ones I can find are $550 with wrx wheels. I just needs some 15s to throw on my stock SS wheels.
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Yeah, definitely just pull the ABS fuse for now.

White smoke usually is mostly steam.

It sounds like maybe one of the IAC valve's coolant hoses failed. They're about 5/16" ID, but they have pretty sharp curves in them. I don't think you can just bypass the IAC valve because it needs coolant flowing through it to open an appropriate amount for the engine's temperature.

If it's one of the turbo's coolant, lines, though, you can definitely just cap that off.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
Dominator
First Gear

Post by Dominator »

Check out Craigslist Kimo. Get something used for a quick fix.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/search/ss ... srchType=A

I saw a few options in the $100-300 range that would work on your stock 15's.

Here's one that looked good and cheap, and fairly close to your location.
4 studded winter tires 185/65 R15 - $100 (Lacey)
Date: 2012-01-15, 2:53PM PST
Reply to: sale-52rmm-2801545565@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

Four studded winter tires without rims:
Aurora W403 Winter Radial 185/65 R15 88T M+S
Only used during 3 winters for 4 months
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Thanks guys. I'm gonna go check out the leak now. Hoping I find something.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I got stuck just before I made it into the garage. It's too low for deep snow.

I can't find the damn leak. The hoses all look fine and there's no way it's the turbo coolant line. It's not the IAC because that's on the other side of the engine and that side is all dry. I think it's the head gasket on the passenger side. It can really only be 3 things. The hose/nipple off the crossover pipe that comes out between the two intake runners, the crossover pipe itself or the head gasket. Those are the only coolant lines in that area.

No smoke or smell in the exhaust. Seems strange that it would blow from the water jacket to the outside and from the cylinder into the water jacket.

In this picture there seems to be a gap with coolant in it and I can't tell if it's normal for the gasket to be that far down into the crack or not. It's a bad picture.
Dominator
First Gear

Post by Dominator »

:lol: at getting stuck at the entrance of the garage. That sucks.

Sorry you can't pinpoint the leak issue. I hate problems like that.
Dominator
First Gear

Post by Dominator »

Also, if there was coolant pooling up around that gasket seam, there would be coolant down in there and all along it. Here's to hoping it's not a head gasket.

I know your motor is different than mine, but check the crossover pipe hose. That thing was a bitch to reconnect, and it had just the spring type hose clamps. I can see one of those cracking, or losing spring tension and loosening up to let coolant out.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I doubt it's cracked it's only maybe 6 months old. But I will look into it more later. It's really hard to see under the manifold with that stupid intake running under it and everything else cramming up all the room below it.