Sticky clutch after heavy braking

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

BSOD2600
Fourth Gear

Sticky clutch after heavy braking

Post by BSOD2600 »

Lately I've noticed that right after heaving braking, when I depress the clutch, it's sticky. It doesn't feel 'normal' and some times slowly comes back to the normal position. Some times, it'll stick to the floor. Under normal driving, the clutch pedal never is a problem.

I've already bleed it a few months ago and still has plenty of fluid. New clutch slave cylinder and OEM spring back in Aug 2007.

Anyone experience this type of thing before?

'11 WRX Limited
'94 SS | 3" TBE, 07 TMIC, TD05H-16G, Revtronix Stage 2, Walbro -- Sold
'94 TW | R.I.P.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I don't see how heavy braking has much effect on the clutch pedal. Are you holding in the clutch while braking?
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
BSOD2600
Fourth Gear

Post by BSOD2600 »

Part of the braking sequence, I am. Mostly, ride the brake hard, then when I notice the RPMs around 1.5K, I'll depress the clutch. This is the point when I notice it feels looser than normal and/or it's slow/sticky to return back to normal.

'11 WRX Limited
'94 TW | R.I.P.
log1call
Second Gear

Post by log1call »

Do the two pedals share a pivot? Could that be moving/binding?
94EJ22T
In Neutral

Post by 94EJ22T »

i've had this same problem on my 94 turbo for over five years. Last August I installed a new clutch master and slave cylinder. this helped the problem slightly but it still happens. if anyone uncovers the mystery of the sticky clutch pedal please let me know.
BSOD2600
Fourth Gear

Post by BSOD2600 »

Yea, this problem still happens and is getting annoying. Took the Denny way exit #166 off I-5 in Seattle. Bottom of this short off-ramp there is a stoplight. Went on the brakes hard, near the end depressed the [soft] clutch to get out of gear and it was sticky/slow to pop back. After a few pumps, all was well again.

'11 WRX Limited
'94 TW | R.I.P.
JDMSLIK
First Gear

Post by JDMSLIK »

I got this same problem going on with mine too, except more so when I'm flooring the gas. It doesn't feel like a weak cup in the master nor a leaking slave so I'm wonder if it's possibly a weak return spring in the master or on the pedal mechanism.

I'm a tech here at the subaru dealership in Prince George. I brought the issue up with my boss and he remembers a couple of these complaints and he ended up replacing the bushings on the shaft of the pedal mechanism.

I just got the car on the road this last weekend so I haven't had time, but does anybody know if all 3 pedals share the same shaft for the pedals?
BSOD2600
Fourth Gear

Post by BSOD2600 »

Another example of this happening the other day...

Emergency braking on dry pavement, ABS goes off, etc. After I get rolling again, the clutch pedal is only coming half way back up, but I can shift ok. I make several shifts this way, then lift the pedal with my toe and it comes all the way up. Pump it a few times and all feels ok again.

Do I need to replace the spring which the clutch pedal itself uses to push itself back to the disengaged position? 36037AA130 (Pedal Return Spring) and 36037AA140 (Assist Spring B) ?

'11 WRX Limited
'94 TW | R.I.P.
BSOD2600
Fourth Gear

Post by BSOD2600 »

Fixed!

I had this same damn problem on the '94 SS I bought several months ago, except it was a LOT worse. Any stop I would come to on a downwards sloping hill, the next time I would depress the clutch, pedal would only be half-way. Would take a few pumps to get back to normal. Yes, I had bleed the clutch several times but it never helped. Also, only after a few weeks of driving, the new clutch fluid was black.

Decided instead of buying a whole new master cylinder, I'd just replace the parts which actually need replacing. Also installed a newish slave cylinder (from the TW). Got a clutch repair kit - 37240AA000 for $44.

I had an extra master cylinder laying around, so I took that apart first, installed the new repair kit, installed it on the SS, and then took the SS old cylinder apart.

Old cylinder is obviously leaking

Once the plunger and spring clip are removed.

New vs old internals

Old TW vs old SS internals

After getting everything put back together again, I bled the clutch with the help of a friend. After a bit, the stream was coming out clear, yet the damn clutch pedal wasn't returning all the way to the top like it should. The last ~2" of travel, it was sort of 'sticky', weak and didn't want to come up. After more fruitless bleeding, I started to play around with the adjustment nut on the master cylinder rod. Bingo! Screwed it out several more turns and suddenly the pedal is nice and tight and comes up all the way like it should. I've been driving around town for the past few days and no longer have my soggy pedal anymore, as I originally described in my first/other posts.

'11 WRX Limited
'94 TW | R.I.P.
Soul Shinobi
Second Gear

Post by Soul Shinobi »

Still makes me wonder just how it got that way. The pedals sharing a pivot is likely relevant, but maybe flexing of the firewall is related? Just brainstorming here.
-Nick
1992 BC Legacy L Sedan AWD 5MT 272,000 - Wish you the best
1998 BK Legacy L Wagon 5MT 234,000 miles - RIP
2002 SF Forester S Wagon 5MT 215,000 miles - Current winter sleigh
1986 FC Mazda RX-7 GXL Coupe 5MT 155,000 miles - Summer cruiser
BSOD2600
Fourth Gear

Post by BSOD2600 »

My guess after taking the master cylinder apart, is those two rubber seals / flanges have gotten weak over time. Fluid must be passing past them (which makes sense why it got so black so quickly after changing the fluid). If fluid is getting past, air must also be getting in/out from the poor seal. Not entirely sure how all the mechanics would work (software engineer, not mechanical ;)) to explain how/why things get soft during deacceleration though.

'11 WRX Limited
'94 TW | R.I.P.
Kecksauce
First Gear

Post by Kecksauce »

You are the friggin' man.

Time to order parts!
-'06 Impreza 2.5i wagon
-'93 Legacy SS
skoobywrx
First Gear

Post by skoobywrx »

i did a full master cylinder replacement and still sometimes get a sticky clutch when hard braking. makes me concerned, if i ever want to autox this car.....

i removed the slave cylinder as someone suggested i do, and just run the master cylinder. is this ok?
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

How can you just run the master cylinder???
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
skoobywrx
First Gear

Post by skoobywrx »

doh i mean, run without the damper, lol....

without the damper and a new slave, it still sticks..
need a new master cylinder?
93Leg-c
Fourth Gear

Post by 93Leg-c »

BSOD2600 wrote:TW vs old SS internals
The TW internals is the one on top and ss on the bottom, right? Is it just the spring that's different or were there any other differences? When driving do you notice any difference between the TW and ss clutches?
'94 TW
BSOD2600
Fourth Gear

Post by BSOD2600 »

They are the same part number. I took that pic simply to compare how much each of the old parts were worn down. The spring looks different because the shaft on the bottom one came out and the spring is not compressed as much.

Since replacing the internals, I haven't had my original problem at all.

'11 WRX Limited
'94 TW | R.I.P.
93Leg-c
Fourth Gear

Post by 93Leg-c »

Gotcha! Thanks!
'94 TW
Japanac
In Neutral

Post by Japanac »

Looks like I have exactly the same problem.... tnx a lot for this post :) will post update when I get it replaced
georryan
Fourth Gear

Post by georryan »

If the problem persists, check out a new pedal assembly. I've had intermittent clutch issues for a while now. I've completely bleed the clutch, changed out the master cylinder and the slave cylinder (multiple times). I even got rid of the secondary bleed point to make the system simpler. I always made it better but not perfect. Last night I changed out the pedal assembly and the clutch feels brand new, and better than it ever has.

My problem was the clutched worked fine, but under heavy acceleration, sometimes it would feel like I didn't fully disengage the clutch. Also, like you, it wouldn't always come all the way up, but I felt that was more of a spring issue than an "air - in - the - lines" issue. Turns out I was right. I don't know what the problem was exactly, only that the design of the two pedal assemblies was different. My old one had a nut on the end of the rod that rotates for adjustment or something, and it was a major pita to replace.

Anyways YMMV, but hopefully you've figured it out.
91 Pearl White Sport Sedan
04 Java Black Pearl Forester XT
2014 Volvo S60 T5
18 KTM 1290 Adventure S

87 Grey GL-10 Sedan (so long old buddy) - donated
97 Toyota 4Runner SR5 - sold
2002 BMW r1150rt-p - sold
2004 BMW r1200ST - sold
2016 BMW r1200RS - sold
93Leg-c
Fourth Gear

Post by 93Leg-c »

georryan, was the replacement pedal assembly from the same year and model or from something different?
'94 TW
georryan
Fourth Gear

Post by georryan »

I'm not sure what year it came out of. I have a 91 and and it came out of some legacy I'm pretty certain. I ordered it from blackbart here on the board.

It was a little different in that it was missing a brace that went along the firewall from the brake cylinder portion to the clutch cylinder portion. Although, not having that made it a heck of a lot easier to put back in the car.
91 Pearl White Sport Sedan
04 Java Black Pearl Forester XT
2014 Volvo S60 T5
18 KTM 1290 Adventure S

87 Grey GL-10 Sedan (so long old buddy) - donated
97 Toyota 4Runner SR5 - sold
2002 BMW r1150rt-p - sold
2004 BMW r1200ST - sold
2016 BMW r1200RS - sold
LikeUCare
First Gear

Re: Sticky clutch after heavy braking

Post by LikeUCare »

Has anyone figured out for sure what is causing this? I have the same issue with a brand new master/slave cylinder installed.

Under hard braking the clutch pedal doesn't want to come back up all the way. I have played with the adjust on the master cylinder pushrod under the dash but that doesn't really help much. Before and after the clutch master/slave cylinder install the symptoms are the same.

This seems to be a common issue with this platform, below post has same presentation. Anyone actually find a root cause for this? Is is the bushings or springs in the pedal assembly?

http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic. ... 9&start=25

Thanks in advance for the assist, this is an annoying symptom on my daily driven 94SS with 5-speed.
1994 ABM 5-Speed SS Rebuilt EJ22T, Walboro 255, TD04, 06 WRX Intercooler, 3"TBE, WRX Rims, WRX Seats, STi Pitchstop, KYB AGXs
SOLD
Alphius
Fourth Gear

Post by Alphius »

I have the same issue with a newish master/slave as well on my 94SS. Only occurs under extreme emergency braking, almost enough to activate the ABS on dry pavement. After such an emergency stop, the clutch pedal only has about half travel but one or two pumps brings it back to correct operation.

I too remain puzzled by this, but I have a couple suspicions. None of them are too easy to test though.

The other interesting thing is that I own BSOD2600's car now, and he claims the problem was fixed up above. Maybe it is that seal he talks of and it's starting to wear out again? My other suspicion is that since my car has a cut clutch reservoir to fit under the intercooler, that possibly under hard deaccell I get some air intrusion in the master and it gets soft for a second. This is what it feels like to me.
LikeUCare
First Gear

Post by LikeUCare »

Interesting, I have a cut clutch reservoir to accommodate the 06-07 WRX intercooler. I never thought about that potential. It does seem if I brake harder on a downhill that it is worse.

I am going to try to overfill the reservoir to see if that makes a difference one way or the other.
1994 ABM 5-Speed SS Rebuilt EJ22T, Walboro 255, TD04, 06 WRX Intercooler, 3"TBE, WRX Rims, WRX Seats, STi Pitchstop, KYB AGXs
SOLD