Wind Noise Issues

Anything and Everything about the Body, from paint to undercoating and interior, including in-car entertainment (ICE).

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

SubyFusion
Second Gear

Wind Noise Issues

Post by SubyFusion »

I cant seem to get fix the damn leak on the passenger side window and its driving me nuts!!! I did the wire in the rubber seal trick and it worked for the drivers side door perfectly, but no matter what size wire or where I put it on the passenger side it wont stop the noise!
Does any one have any other tricks or ways to fix wind noise??? I can't be the only one with this problem lol please enlighten me!

-Brian
1992 Legacy L (AWD )(5MT)[2.5RS Trans] EJ22T Swap in Progress
jefferson
Third Gear

Re: Wind Noise Issues

Post by jefferson »

I am going to bet that your problem is with the triangular window brace that the mirror bolts to. To find out if that is the issue, take some tape and seal up the gap between the window and the brace on the outside. If that fixes it then you will need a new window brace. I have heard of squeezing the things back together, but had no luck with mine.

Jeff
91 Black SS 5spd. Edm lights, wrx gauges in dash, 45 degree airbox, cryoed drilled and slotted brakes. Invidia divorced downpipe with custom stainless exhaust. To be installed, aluminum a-arms, manual belts, awic.
SubyFusion
Second Gear

Post by SubyFusion »

I have already tried squeezing it lol I will try the tape and see what happens!!! I thought the wire was suppose to push the window and close that gap! am I wrong??
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

It does, but the noise can still be produced by that triangular window brace.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
SubyFusion
Second Gear

Post by SubyFusion »

Isn't the window brace part of the door?? I wasn't aware you could remove it
rallyak
Third Gear

Post by rallyak »

i bought mine at the dealership and i beleve he called them gussets, any way I replaced mine and no more wind noise. almost every 1gen car I've owned has leaked there.
Charles

90' White/Gray Outback DD workhorse (670,xxx) miles
92' Onyx Metallic (430,xxx) Wife's DD
68' Barracuda formula S 340 4spd coupe (ongoing project)
66' Mustang 2+2 4spd wife's (ongoing project)
LikeUCare
First Gear

Post by LikeUCare »

+1 on replacing gussets. It is actually quite amazing how much quieter the car was with new ones installed.
1994 ABM 5-Speed SS Rebuilt EJ22T, Walboro 255, TD04, 06 WRX Intercooler, 3"TBE, WRX Rims, WRX Seats, STi Pitchstop, KYB AGXs
SOLD
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I don't understand what is causing the sound. Anybody got any pics to explain the problem? I have it bad on both doors and I haven't fixed it yet because I have no idea what is making the noise and what needs to be done about it.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
oldscoobyturbo
Second Gear

Post by oldscoobyturbo »

see the gap? that is the problem

quick fix is epoxy glue and a clamp wait a couple of hours for the glue to set and your good
or get new ones
Silver 99 Legacy GT Wagon
White 90 BC5 RS Type RA
Black 01 Legacy Outback H6 Wagon
http://s684.beta.photobucket.com/user/d ... l/library/
jefferson
Third Gear

Post by jefferson »

One thing to help prevent the problem is always close your doors by the door and not the window. Alot of people just grab the window because it is handy, but this puts more stress on the window gusset.

Jeff
91 Black SS 5spd. Edm lights, wrx gauges in dash, 45 degree airbox, cryoed drilled and slotted brakes. Invidia divorced downpipe with custom stainless exhaust. To be installed, aluminum a-arms, manual belts, awic.
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

That thought makes me wonder if that's partly what the idiot locks are there: to goad people into closing by pushing the door and not the window.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
Alphius
Fourth Gear

Post by Alphius »

Does anybody have the part number for new gussets?
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Oh! I see now. I was thinking it was something inside of that thing that was whistling in the channel that the wires go through. I'll see about fixing that or see what new ones cost.
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

GUSSET AY DR LH [Part# 62174AA010] $71.49
GUSSET AY DR RH [Part# 62174AA000] $62.75 (not showing up in system on 1stsubaruparts.com but it is on subarugenuineparts.com)
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Too spendy. I'll see about fixing mine DIY style. For free.
Alphius
Fourth Gear

Post by Alphius »

I might try to fix mine at some point. They get a little bit noisy above 55 or so but i can only hear it if I have all the windows up and no music and no boost. It's not worth $150+ to fix with new parts. Mine might even be normal noise from the mirror for all I know. :lol:
crisco
First Gear

Post by crisco »

interesting! was wondering about what that noise was! any more info on the wire in the window seal trick?

i notice if i put pressure where the windo noise is by pushing my hand slightly between the seal and glass (when the window is closed) right where i hear the noise, the noise stops. so the gussett trick may be needed for me, i will check it out.
--- crisco --- 2005 Saab 9-2X Aero---
LikeUCare
First Gear

Post by LikeUCare »

I made mine better by taking a C-clamp after them. The drivers side it helped a little and I ended up buying a replacement but I had decent results with the passenger side.
1994 ABM 5-Speed SS Rebuilt EJ22T, Walboro 255, TD04, 06 WRX Intercooler, 3"TBE, WRX Rims, WRX Seats, STi Pitchstop, KYB AGXs
SOLD
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I wonder if these gussets are still available....
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
jefferson
Third Gear

Post by jefferson »

I bought a drivers side a while back. Still need to put it on though.

Jeff
SubyFusion
Second Gear

Post by SubyFusion »

I did the wire trick in the LH side and no more noise but no luck with the RH side, I even removed and tried clamping it but no luck! what are the procedures for doing the epoxy fix?? if this doesn't work I guess I'm going to have to buy one, it bugs the shit out of me lol

Also is any one getting scratches on there windows, from where they rub against the felt pads, on the inside of the doors??