Oil pan & spark plug question - 91 legacy

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

tdaz250
In Neutral

Oil pan & spark plug question - 91 legacy

Post by tdaz250 »

Hey all, i'm needing to change out my oil pan(has a big dent from the last owner) as well as it leaks/drips a little....looks like the bolts at the back of the pan are a pain in the ass to get to...what all is needed to gain access to those bolts(what do i need to take off)?

Also i've been slowly doing everything on the car(maintenance wise since i have no idea what the last owner did)...what is the preferred spark plug ? and do i need to change the wires at the same time.

Thanks in advance guys...its a 91 legacy non-turbo
92wagon
Second Gear

Re: Oil pan & spark plug question - 91 legacy

Post by 92wagon »

I just did my Oil Pan last week. I took off a total of 23 bolts.

(oil pan bolts = 10mm)
(engine mount bolts + dog bone = 14mm)

You have to:
1. drain oil
2. take the two engine mount bolts off and the dog bone from the top of the engine. (3 bolts all together)
3. detach the exhaust header from engine. (6 bolts)
4. Jack the engine up from the bottom of the oil pan.
4. stick a 2x4 between each motor mount and cross-member
5. let engine mounts rest on 2x4s
6. take jack out of the way and take off the oil dip stick tube (I had a wicked hard time getting the dip stick tube out)
7. take off the 14 bolts holding the oil pan on. (14 bolts)(I used a universal joint on an extension for the back 4 bolts)
8. bash oil pan with rubber mallet to free it from the block
9. put new oil pan on!!

When tightening oil pan bolts its VERY IMPORTANT not to over tighten the bolts... I think I read on another post they only need about 4 ft/lbs of torque.

When I dropped the engine back into the cross-member I had a bit of a time getting the engine mount bolts to line back up... so I rested the engine just slightly on the cross-member and used a pipe to push on the mounts and the bolts dropped through the cross-member.

The exhaust header was a bit of a pain to so I used the jack got one side at a time started by jacking the headers up to the block.
1992 Legacy L Wagon 4WD Auto 219K
1994 Legacy SunSport Wagon FWD 249K
1994 Legacy Ti 4WD Wagon 5speed 182K (162K on engine)
1991 Legacy L 4WD Wagon 5speed 202k
tdaz250
In Neutral

Post by tdaz250 »

92wagon wrote:I just did my Oil Pan last week. I took off a total of 23 bolts.

(oil pan bolts = 10mm)
(engine mount bolts + dog bone = 14mm)

You have to:
1. drain oil
2. take the two engine mount bolts off and the dog bone from the top of the engine. (3 bolts all together)
3. detach the exhaust header from engine. (6 bolts)
4. Jack the engine up from the bottom of the oil pan.
4. stick a 2x4 between each motor mount and cross-member
5. let engine mounts rest on 2x4s
6. take jack out of the way and take off the oil dip stick tube (I had a wicked hard time getting the dip stick tube out)
7. take off the 14 bolts holding the oil pan on. (14 bolts)(I used a universal joint on an extension for the back 4 bolts)
8. bash oil pan with rubber mallet to free it from the block
9. put new oil pan on!!

When tightening oil pan bolts its VERY IMPORTANT not to over tighten the bolts... I think I read on another post they only need about 4 ft/lbs of torque.

When I dropped the engine back into the cross-member I had a bit of a time getting the engine mount bolts to line back up... so I rested the engine just slightly on the cross-member and used a pipe to push on the mounts and the bolts dropped through the cross-member.

The exhaust header was a bit of a pain to so I used the jack got one side at a time started by jacking the headers up to the block.
Thanks for this...doesnt sound too difficult, i just had the exhaust off about a month ago so i know that wont be hard...

Any tips for what kind of gasket to use? should i go get one at subaru or should i just pick one up from napa...should i use any threadlocker on the bolts?

Also where did you get the new pan? I was going to get one out of a pick n pull yard but i dont they allow jacks out there
92wagon
Second Gear

Post by 92wagon »

I used a fel-pro cork gasket from NAPA with no thread locker.. just stuck the bolts back in.. shes going good so far.

I had a used oil pan from an engine I had laying around.
92wagon
Second Gear

Post by 92wagon »

Have you switched the oil pan out yet?

If so did you have any problems?