Replacing Factory Stereo, HELP NEEDED!

Anything and Everything about the Body, from paint to undercoating and interior, including in-car entertainment (ICE).

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

digitalts
In Neutral

Replacing Factory Stereo, HELP NEEDED!

Post by digitalts »

Hey,
Im wanting to replace the head unit and speakers in my 1994 subaru legacy wagon, but im not sure what size speakers are in there (i dont really want to rip the door apart to find out).
I see people are saying 6 1/2" can anyone verify this? and does anyone know the depth of the speakers????
My proposed upgrade is the following:
Rockford Fosgate RFX9020 CD Head Unit 40 watts x 4
Rockford Fosgate FNP2614 6.5 Inch 2-way Component Set With Mylar Tweeters and Inline Crossovers "For the front", its already a component set so hopefully these will just replace the current ones.
Rockford Fosgate FFC65 6.5 inch 3-way, mica injected polypropylene cone, dome tweeter, 100 watts Peak "for the back doors".
The mounting depth for these speakers is 2 1/2" so fingers crossed!!!
And to top it off, Rockford Fosgate Punch 150S 75W x 2 AMP

Anyway tell me what you think, is it worth trying to find speakers that will fit straight in, or am i just pissing into the wind?
And if anyone knows the dimensions of the stock standard speakers i would be VERY greatful.

: Cheers :D :lol:
eastbaysubaru
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by eastbaysubaru »

I've never heard of a Rockford Fosgate HU. I've had a Kenwood and a Panasonic and both have been great. The only thing I might add is that it's really nice having a third set of pre-outs for a sub, even if you don't think you want it right away, it's always nice to have options:D.

The mounting depth for speakers in our cars is fairly shallow. You may have to get some spacers depending on the speaker. You'll probably end up mounting the passive crossovers for the components in the front doors. That's where mine are mounted. Good luck!

-Brian
'04 PSM FXT
Dr Nick
Second Gear

Post by Dr Nick »

I seem to remember that all the speakers are 165mm diameter (correct me someone if I'm wrong!)

The standard ones seem pretty good to me (JVC CD head - 45w x 4) and I think that the mounting points are probably more of an issue in getting a really quality sound.
- Rob

1992 Legacy Turbo Estate (Wagon) / 5MT / 186k miles. [url]http://www.griggs-taylor.co.uk/legacy.html[/url]
1986 Suzuki GSX-R400 / 6MT / 43k km. [url]http://www.griggs-taylor.co.uk/mybike.html[/url]
scottzg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by scottzg »

if your speaker setup is like mine, installing speakers in the door is EVIL. the factory speakers come with built in spacers, and those have an unusual hole pattern. I used 1 inch spacers from best buy and drilled into the door metal. my speakers are the deep style, and they barely clear the power windows, and i had to dremel out my door panel. It looks fine (well, except where i cracked it discovering it doesnt fit) but its a bad job.
[url=http://www.thawa.net/gallery/albums/album108/DSCF0330.jpg]90 legacy of awesomeness[/url]
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

the first gen legacies have 6 1/2" speakers the whole way around. The fronts will most likely require some form of spacer so the magnet does not hit the window when it's down.

Check out my site.....I've got pics of all my stuff and how it's installed.

Typically Fausgate HU's are expensive and overrated. There's better HU's for less money. I personally like Alpine.....but that's me :)
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

I have a Kenwood that has taken a beating for 5 yrs. Reliability is what I love!

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.