A WRX on Legacy spring thread? no way!

Struts, spring, anti-rollbars, braces and the like.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Omega79
Second Gear

Post by Omega79 »

Okay, so I've searched till I've gotten myself confused and irritated.

I purchased a set of H&R springs with low miles on them. Told they are for a Bugeye. Part number is 29356VA/HA. They appear to be a euro part number. They are not tapered in the rear.

The plan was to install them on my 92 wagon. I purchased KYB GR2s for a 02/03 WRX. The springs fit the perch or land on the strut fine. The strut is shaped the same as the stock KYB's off my car. The problem is the top spring plate or cup in the front. The front springs are slightly smaller at the top than the bottom.

Looking at one of the the Suspension Information Compendium, I see mentioned that in order to use Bugeye springs on a post facelift, it says you need Front upper spring "perches". Forgive me for not understand the terminology being used, this is in other words saying, the part that goes between the spring and the strut mount correct?

I'm thrown because I see lots of people saying they used Bugeye springs and their stock "tophats". Including my friend that has a 93. Or are people installing springs even though things don't quite fit correctly? Or is there something screwy with the springs I bought?
lucas wrote:There were multiple Legacys with 300k+ miles. Jesus will return on a Turbo Lego.
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

The spring perch or tophat or whatever you want to call it is the metal cone-shaped cup that goes on top of the spring before you put the strut mount on. It's basically the opposite end of the spring seat that's part of the strut body itself.

Yes, you need to get the appropriate spring seat for the springs... a bugeye WRX in your case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
Omega79
Second Gear

Re: A WRX on Legacy spring thread? no way!

Post by Omega79 »

Thank you very very very much Michael!

-Nick
lucas wrote:There were multiple Legacys with 300k+ miles. Jesus will return on a Turbo Lego.