So, can i just torch a coil?

Struts, spring, anti-rollbars, braces and the like.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

S Webster
In Neutral

So, can i just torch a coil?

Post by S Webster »

Hi folks, still workin' on my 93 SS T. I'm running 16" Outback wheels, & 215-60s. That raised the car up quite a bit, & I'd like to lower it at least 1.5" in the rear. I'm an old school hot rodder, (I'm 66) & we've been whackin' a coil or two for many years. I'm sure it's frowned upon, but Social Security doesn't offer much funding for after mkt. parts. Just wonderin'. Thanks, Steve.
concretelegacy
In Neutral

Re: So, can i just torch a coil?

Post by concretelegacy »

I'd say no, don't do it unless you have another set to use if it goes bad. I think struts from an Impreza will bolt right on and give you a nice drop. There's gotta be a salvage yard around that has a set at a decent price.
-Brian
2002 Forester
2009 WRX
S Webster
In Neutral

Post by S Webster »

Hi, yes I'd seen that in another thread some place. I pulled a set from a late 90s Imp. a week or so ago. Their low mileage replacements, and thats good, but had no affect on ride hight. I do have the originals for back up, so could try the coil cut, but it's a lot of work if y'all don't think thats the way to go. Thanks for your response. Steve.
Alphius
Fourth Gear

Post by Alphius »

I've cut coils on many cars that aren't Subaru before, it's an acceptable way to both lower the car and increase spring rate. I'm not sure why it's so frowned upon in Subaru circles but it's definitely something I wouldn't feel bad trying if I were you. You can always get a set of springs from a salvage yard if it goes sideways on you.

If you do decide to cut, please don't use a torch. You will ruin the temper on the spring. The only acceptable way to cut springs without ruining them is with a cut-off wheel, preferably air powered. When you torch cut springs, they will lose most of the spring temper over a few coils from where you cut which can lead to fatigued and broken springs. You will lower the spring rate and cause a potentially dangerous situation if a coil snaps on the road.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I think cut coils is frowned upon in the Subaru community because it's seen as a "ricer" Honda mod.

I think if you do it right, it'll be alright. As Alphius mentioned it will raise your spring rate which may not be what you're wanting. But if you don't like, you should be able to find some used coils to replace the cut ones.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
concretelegacy
In Neutral

Post by concretelegacy »

Well if you do end up cutting/torching the coils please let us know how it turned out. I had a 96 L wagon that I was really wanting to slam on the cheap. But I was talked out of doing so. I really want a slammed wagon.
-Brian
2002 Forester
2009 WRX
daveh
In Neutral

Post by daveh »

I've cut them before and had decent success, just remember that you while you increase spring rate for a stiffer ride, your struts won't increase damping, leaving you with a bit of bounce. DevC cut 1 coil on his Legacy and it turned out pretty good.
99 Outback
92 Legacy Turbo 5 speed
S Webster
In Neutral

Post by S Webster »

Thanks guys. I'm runnin the Imp. set on there now, so I have the originals behind the shop for back up. I think I'll try cuttin' one coil, with a cut off wheel Alphius, I only used the torch thing for affect. I'll let you know how it works. So, thanks again folks, Steve.